PDA

View Full Version : Flu season kicking anyone else's *ss or just mine?

steveoz
03-31-2019, 03:09 PM
Got a flu shot in Oct, caught the flu beginning of Dec, and got it AGAIN now....really putting a damper on things....

jamesdak
03-31-2019, 03:40 PM
I've been making and using Elderberry liqueur for years. The few times I catch the flu I just start taking the Elderberry brew and the flu is usually over in 2 days. Taste like crap but does the trick Over the counter Sambucol is made from Elderberry's too.

Idris Icabod
03-31-2019, 03:41 PM
My 8 year old daughters class had 13 out of 31 kids out on Friday with the flu. Mine seems fine, she had the vaccine. Not sure about the 13 sick kids.

parris
03-31-2019, 03:45 PM
I haven't gotten nailed with the flu but have been wacked with more colds than usual this year. The flu and colds have been running rampant through work and coworkers houses for the last few months though. It's been a pretty tough season.

OtayBW
03-31-2019, 04:56 PM
Yup - I have had the flue TWICE this season: once in Dec 2018 for ~10-12 days flat on my back, and again in late Jan 2019. Lost 10 lbs during that time, but I swear, I never had it twice in a row!

bigbill
03-31-2019, 05:15 PM
It hit this town pretty hard, I got my shot last fall but even that is an educated guess at what strains will be predominate. One of my company's plants on the east coast shutdown for 4 days because so many people were out. I've been fortunate for several years, the last time I had the flu was 2014. I've had the shot every year for the last 34 years.

wtex
03-31-2019, 05:42 PM
same here, got it twice, at least one person in our ffice has been sick since late December.
This last one was a quick fever, but unfortunately I was a bit out of it with the fever when I drank some fruit juice I'd purchased for the last bout, in January. Long night.

Matthew
03-31-2019, 06:54 PM
Been a very rough flu season where I work here in Michigan (Correction's Officer). In fact, we lost an officer to Meningitis just last Monday. Healthy, non smoking male that ate right and worked out. A prisoner in the same housing unit has it also. He is recovering, but the officer passed. Terrible tragedy. Many staff and prisoners have been sick this season, I've been really lucky so far.

ftf
03-31-2019, 07:08 PM
Been a very rough flu season where I work here in Michigan (Correction's Officer). In fact, we lost an officer to Meningitis just last Monday. Healthy, non smoking male that ate right and worked out. A prisoner in the same housing unit has it also. He is recovering, but the officer passed. Terrible tragedy. Many staff and prisoners have been sick this season, I've been really lucky so far.

Why were these people not vaccinated against meningitis? You would think this would be a standard vaccination.

isalgue
03-31-2019, 07:33 PM
Got a flu shot in Oct, caught the flu beginning of Dec, and got it AGAIN now....really putting a damper on things....

Xofluza, one time new drug for the flu, makes recovery much faster.

thwart
03-31-2019, 08:10 PM
Xofluza, one time new drug for the flu, makes recovery much faster.

Even though the method in which it fights influenza is different, Xofluza is no more effective than Tamiflu in clinical studies. It is more convenient, as it's just one dose, vs twice a day for 5 days. It is much more expensive than generic Tamiflu.

Both are less effective if they're started more than 24 hrs after onset of symptoms.

And both reduce duration of illness by approximately one day.

So... antivirals for the flu are very different than an antibiotic for strep throat, for example.

steveoz
03-31-2019, 08:24 PM
Yup - I have had the flue TWICE this season: once in Dec 2018 for ~10-12 days flat on my back, and again in late Jan 2019. Lost 10 lbs during that time, but I swear, I never had it twice in a row!

right! I've never had it twice in a row either, and it's kicking me hard!

Matthew
03-31-2019, 08:37 PM
Not vaccinated for meningitis because it's fairly rare I think and would likely cost a ton of money to do. State already spends millions on prisoner medications that you and I have to pay out of pocket for. But that's another topic and one I may say something I shouldn't.

Matthew
03-31-2019, 08:39 PM
And before they actually knew what they had it was too late for the officer. Was brain dead in a matter of hours after they realized what he had. Not sure who contracted it first and whether it was passed to one another or just a complete coincidence.

Peter P.
03-31-2019, 09:01 PM
I had the flu this winter. Usually I can function enough to go to work (I know; and posssibly infect my coworkers...) but this year I was out of work for an entire week. And I literally stayed on the couch for the entire time.

Bob Ross
04-01-2019, 05:48 AM
I got a flu shot for the first time in my life just this past December. I have been atypically healthy ever since. Not saying correlation=causation, and despite it being April 1st I'm not convinced winter is over, but So Far So Good
:::knocks wood:::

steveoz
04-01-2019, 09:04 AM
I got a flu shot for the first time in my life just this past December. I have been atypically healthy ever since. Not saying correlation=causation, and despite it being April 1st I'm not convinced winter is over, but So Far So Good
:::knocks wood:::

I got one the previous season and was the only one left standing at work while everyone else dropped like flies...not so this season...

cderalow
04-01-2019, 11:55 AM
no vaccines here.

first time i'd ever gotten it in 35 years this year.

one daughter got it twice, other got it once. wife and son avoided it somehow.

45K10
04-01-2019, 01:33 PM
I got the flu from our four year old back in Feb. Both of us had the vaccine. However, I think it definitely reduced the severity of it. I was only really sick one day and then was able to function after that.

ftf
04-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Not vaccinated for meningitis because it's fairly rare I think and would likely cost a ton of money to do. State already spends millions on prisoner medications that you and I have to pay out of pocket for. But that's another topic and one I may say something I shouldn't.

It's not THAT rare, meningitis vaccinations are required to live in the dorms at most Universities for good reason......

avalonracing
04-01-2019, 02:40 PM
I'm in a sales job where everyone wants to shake hands and it can often be over a dozen people an hour. This year I've been doing everything I can to discourage that but some people still insist so Purell has been my friend.

cderalow
04-01-2019, 03:15 PM
I'm in a sales job where everyone wants to shake hands and it can often be over a dozen people an hour. This year I've been doing everything I can to discourage that but some people still insist so Purell has been my friend.

same, but I'm a firm believer of the 'hey i've been coughing a lot and don't want to make you sick' approach.

even if i haven't been coughing lately.

paredown
04-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Took me out this year--I did one rush job in January, thought the year was off to a good start, and then got the flu.

It kicked my butt this year--the fever part broke fairly quickly (about a week) but the dry cough/congestion/feel like crap part continued on through a good bit of February. I more or less got back on the many projects mid-February, but it took until last week to feel more or less like myself.

Folks are giving me crap for not getting the flu shot--they are reminding me that I am not of 'that age' where it is good to get them--I never have before.

nooneline
04-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Folks are giving me crap for not getting the flu shot--they are reminding me that I am not of 'that age' where it is good to get them--I never have before.

The flu shot is recommended for people over 6 months old. Are you younger than that?

Spdntrxi
04-01-2019, 07:07 PM
yes... since last thursday and yes had flu shot

steveoz
04-01-2019, 07:44 PM
"they" say that a flu shot will help lessen the severity of the flu even if you catch it - can't even imagine how much worse it can get - I'm a reasonably healthy 50yr old man - if I were 80 and frail ...no bueno.... no wonder it's one of the biggest killers in the realm of infectious diseases!

paredown
04-01-2019, 09:21 PM
The flu shot is recommended for people over 6 months old. Are you younger than that?
No...

Two categories (CDC):
"For example, the recombinant influenza vaccine is for people aged 18 years and older, and the adjuvanted and high-dose inactivated vaccines are for people aged 65 years and older."

I'm now in the second category--this is what my older friends were telling me to get.

Mark McM
04-02-2019, 09:27 AM
I got the flu from our four year old back in Feb. Both of us had the vaccine. However, I think it definitely reduced the severity of it. I was only really sick one day and then was able to function after that.

If you were only sick for one day, then you probably didn't have the flu. People have come to refer to any kind of virus as "the flu", but actual influenza is a specific strain(s) of disease. For example, some people refer to "the stomach flu", but there is no actually no such thing.

I've had various types of colds and other viral infections over the years, and some have been worse than others. But I had actual influenza 12 years ago, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It knocked my completely flat and unable to function for a solid week, and then it took another month before I was fully recovered.

45K10
04-02-2019, 09:37 AM
If you were only sick for one day, then you probably didn't have the flu. People have come to refer to any kind of virus as "the flu", but actual influenza is a specific strain(s) of disease. For example, some people refer to "the stomach flu", but there is no actually no such thing.

I've had various types of colds and other viral infections over the years, and some have been worse than others. But I had actual influenza 12 years ago, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It knocked my completely flat and unable to function for a solid week, and then it took another month before I was fully recovered.

No I had the flu, it was confirmed at the doctors office. I was sick more than one day but only had to stay in bed for one. After that, I could at least get around. I had the flu back in '12 without having the shot and oh yeah that kicked my butt.

mastaliu
04-03-2019, 07:46 AM
Got flu + pneumonia! Anyone have experience with pneumonia recovery and riding??

Hellgate
04-03-2019, 08:02 AM
Got flu + pneumonia! Anyone have experience with pneumonia recovery and riding??I've had pneumonia three times. First get well. Pneumonia is no joke. Plan for an slower come back to normal training levels to ensure your body is fully recovered and your energy level is back.

Mark McM
04-03-2019, 10:29 AM
No I had the flu, it was confirmed at the doctors office.

It should be noted that influenza tests can have accuracies as low as 50%.

KidWok
04-03-2019, 11:26 AM
I'm on week 4. Still have an upper respiratory infection that I thought was a walking pneumonia. Doc says this one is taking most people a month to get over. When I started feeling better in week 2, I got back on the bike and was overdoing it, which prolonged my suffering. Only riding I'm doing now is on my ebike at full power so that I'm not doing much. Even then I still feel winded. Normally I use the lowest power setting for commuting.

Tai

Jaybee
04-03-2019, 11:44 AM
I've had pneumonia three times. First get well. Pneumonia is no joke. Plan for an slower come back to normal training levels to ensure your body is fully recovered and your energy level is back.

In HS, I thought my track season was more important than the sinus infection that turned into bronchitis that turned into walking pneumonia. Didn't finish the track season and lost a bit of lung capacity that's never quite recovered in the process.

Take the time your body needs to recover.

steveoz
04-03-2019, 05:13 PM
well the boss asked if I could pop in for couple hrs to help schedule the work for the employees, which I did, and I lasted about 2 hrs before I had to go to a walk-in clinic... they actually were really good- better than my "regular care physician" on my plan. They actually tested for flu and strep, something I've never had a dr. do before - so they put me on Tamiflu...we'll see how it goes ...