PDA

View Full Version : Cold front

Erik.Lazdins
11-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Yesterday morning it was 70 degrees

Then a front came in and the temp dropped 45 degrees in about 16 hours. Pretty cool stuff a thunderstorm with sleet! The last time I heard thunder with snow it was in St. Louis in the early 1980's and it produced 28 inches of snow.

Tulsa has a base of sleet and freezing rain with high winds and forecasts of 6-10 inches of snow.

Any reports from other mid-western forumites?

72gmc
11-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Our snow is melting, our ice is melting, I can ride to work tomorrow :banana:

dirtdigger88
11-30-2006, 12:42 PM
bullsh*t sleet in St Louis-

Im betting we get less than 2 inches when this is done- just enough to make the roads crazy-

we are salting parking decks and ramps now- parking lots dont need anything

hows that for an up to the minute report

oh and last night at 10 pm- its was 48 at the airport and 68 downtown-

for those that dont know- they are about 15 minutes apart via interstate

Jason

davids
11-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Nothing that dramatic here, but it's about 65 in Boston right now. They're forecasting snow by Monday.

Grant McLean
11-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Nothing [I]that /I] dramatic here, but it's about 65 in Boston right now. They're forecasting snow by Monday.

The cold front just arrived here, and it's comin' your way, my friend!!

g

Birddog
11-30-2006, 01:23 PM
I'm just down the road in the OKC area, and yesterday morning I left at 5:30 am for my morning ride and it was 64*. While out I was thinking to myself that the temp was dropping (as they predicted), when I arrived back home at 7:00 it was 47*.
The curious thing here is that even though they knew this was approaching, they apparently didn't bother to salt or sand any of the overpasses and the three miles or so of elevated freeway (I40) through town. It was a diaster! I guess that's why they call 'em Okies!

Birddog

Kevan
11-30-2006, 01:27 PM
I have a century ride scheduled for Sunday. It would be nice if I didn't need to wear my snowshoes doing it.

See what you can do to stall it's eastward progression. Will ya?

spiderman
11-30-2006, 01:34 PM
but the morning commute was 6 degrees farenheit
...wind chill 10 below zero.
my noon ride
was chilly...
10 above with a wind chill of 2 below.
a base layer, my long sleeve wool ramble jersey and
shower's pass elite jacket was perfect!

L84dinr
11-30-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm just down the road in the OKC area, and yesterday morning I left at 5:30 am for my morning ride and it was 64*. While out I was thinking to myself that the temp was dropping (as they predicted), when I arrived back home at 7:00 it was 47*.
The curious thing here is that even though they knew this was approaching, they apparently didn't bother to salt or sand any of the overpasses and the three miles or so of elevated freeway (I40) through town. It was a diaster! I guess that's why they call 'em Okies!

Birddog

That has been a pet peeve of mine re: OKDOT for many ages! NO telling how many times a cold front has been predicted and they wait till it is too late too sand/salt the roads and over passes. OKDOT must be getting a cut from the tow truck bidness during severe weather ;>)

BTW, about noon yesterday was around 78, today it is 26, with Texas snow* blowing around. (*basically frozen sleet). Like a Dummy I forgot to remove the Off switch from the pool timer and have one frozen pump!!

allez1952
11-30-2006, 01:41 PM
here in texas/dallas/fort worth it has been sleeting most of the morning and now has turned to snow/slush. temperature is around 34-35.
good news this week end it will be in the low 50's ,easy rides fro some miles

PanTerra
11-30-2006, 01:58 PM
here in texas/dallas/fort worth it has been sleeting most of the morning and now has turned to snow/slush. temperature is around 34-35.
good news this week end it will be in the low 50's ,easy rides fro some miles

Sure is going to make for a cold night ride down to White Rock Lake tonight, join us.

Louis
11-30-2006, 02:05 PM
bullsh*t sleet in St Louis-

Im betting we get less than 2 inches when this is done- just enough to make the roads crazy

Hey Jason,

We're all going to meet at my house after work today for a ride. Care to join us? Just kidding.

I hope I can make it up that darn hill...

Louis

Birddog
11-30-2006, 02:58 PM
That has been a pet peeve of mine re: OKDOT for many ages! NO telling how many times a cold front has been predicted and they wait till it is too late too sand/salt the roads and over passes.

I have been a resident for 18 years, and I learned early on to stay away from all bridges, overpasses and elevated roadways in times of slippery conditions. They rarely sand/salt those things in a timely fashion. OTOH, why would I expect them to do this, afterall the ability to build a bridge approach that doesn't jar your teeth and mess with your front end is totally foreign to them too. I once had a discussion with an engineer that did such design, and he said Oklahoma had some of the worst design criteria he'd ever seen. For that and other reasons (cronysim/good ol boy)his firm (national) didn't bother to bid them.

Birddog

texbike
11-30-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm in Houston on business for a couple days and went out for a run at 7 a.m. this morning. It was 73 degrees. At noon, the thermometer outside the hotel registered 39 degrees. A 30 + degree drop in less than 5 hours is crazy! Brrrrrrrrrrr.

Texbike

saab2000
11-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Because of my profession and otherwise pathetic lifestyle...... :D I tend to monitor these things closely. Cold fronts are nasty and I am very thankful I am not flying tomorrow. I hope it will have moved past by Saturday, when I have to go to Charlotte and Minneapolis and back to Charlotte and then to Norfolk. I really hope this is outta here by then.

Winter fronts can be monsters.

I frequently look at www dot wunderground dot com and check their composite radar images. The front extends across the whole US. Check it out. 'Tis a big one.

I rode in shorts this morning in Virginia Beach. We all looked pretty pasty. But 70 degree weather is pretty nice for riding and we had a nice ride without the usual ride dictator/dear leader on his TT bike in the middle of winter. :beer:

TimD
11-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks for forwarding that. Looks like we may get slammed.

Sixty-seven degrees today at 42.16 N, 71.18 W. Time-limited to 16 miles on the single-speed... in shorts.

Worry not - global warming is just a theory.

davids
11-30-2006, 03:52 PM
The cold front just arrived here, and it's comin' your way, my friend!!

g
...and I'm heading your way tomorrow. Not all the way to T-town, just to Rochester, NY. I hate driving across upstate NY at this time of year but, hey, my mother-in-law only turns 70 once...

I don't know which of these does a better job grabbing my attention. This:

http://image.weather.com/images/maps/special/24h_temp_chg_600x405.jpg

or this:

http://image.weather.com/images/maps/special/severe_us_600x405.jpg

...No riding for me this weekend. :crap:

Samster
11-30-2006, 04:56 PM
them is some steeeep temperature gradients...http://image.weather.com/images/maps/special/24h_temp_chg_600x405.jpg ...No riding for me this weekend. :crap: