PDA

View Full Version : Touch up Paint

Len J
11-30-2006, 11:50 AM
OK...where do you guys go to get touch up paint that is not available from the manufacturer?

I have 2 bikes that are in need of small touch-ups that I have not been able to find paint for......a Molitani Orange MXL & the Serotta 20th annivarsary frame.........so I'm open to any and all ideas.

So far......Gita has ignored any and all attempts to get the merckx orange & Serotta told me the 20th frame had a one off pearl white they got from PPG custom made.

Any ideas.....I can't be the only one who has had this problem

Len

Kevan
11-30-2006, 11:52 AM
she does the nicest nailpolish work too.

dirtdigger88
11-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Testors Model Paint-

Jason

Len J
11-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Testors Model Paint-

Jason

a rural area......the testors selection around me is terrible.

Where can I try to match on-line?

Len

dirtdigger88
11-30-2006, 12:33 PM

Len

dont know- do a Google search- you are bound to figure out a color-

then maybe one of us who live "in town" ;) can find it for you -

here- this will help

http://www.testors.com/dealer_search.asp

Jason

sspielman
11-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey Len, I think that you may be in for the Testor's route. I can offer the services of the resident artist here-my wife- who has an uncanny eye/memory for color. If no standard color is a close enough match, she can generally tell what is needed to mix with a close match to get closer...

Special Note to the Boston and New York Forum Members- Please take note of the advantages of living in a TRUE cultural center such as the Eastern Shore of Maryland....

sspielman
11-30-2006, 12:35 PM

Len

Hey Len, Easton is a big city now.....There is a hobby store by Giant that has a pretty complete selection....

Len J
11-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Hey Len, I think that you may be in for the Testor's route. I can offer the services of the resident artist here-my wife- who has an uncanny eye/memory for color. If no standard color is a close enough match, she can generally tell what is needed to mix with a close match to get closer...

Special Note to the Boston and New York Forum Members- Please take note of the advantages of living in a TRUE cultural center such as the Eastern Shore of Maryland....

I'll take you up on that.

I'll give you a call and arrange a time.

Len

Len J
11-30-2006, 12:37 PM
Hey Len, Easton is a big city now.....There is a hobby store by Giant that has a pretty complete selection....

been there, no match....and I have no idea what I need to mix.

Len

Kevin
11-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Len,

Check your PM.

Kevin

stevep
11-30-2006, 06:43 PM
get 2 colors of touch up paint...one lighter and one darker than your bike. mix them on a piece of cardboard until you get a perfect match...not that hard. apply with a paper match stick...teeny paintbrush actually when you tear it out of the book.
will look new.

SPOKE
11-30-2006, 08:50 PM
for the orange you can mix orange and a bit of yellow together to get a match.
the 20th anniversary is a bit more difficult. stop by your local auto parts store and pay a visit to their touch-up paint display. i'm sure you'll find a close match. final color will be achieved by picking a clear with a touch of pearl.