PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a "sleeper" bike? Fast fun and yet lockable?

roguedog
03-30-2019, 12:39 PM
So, I'm sitting here thinking about riding to meet some friends for lunch. However, I don't know when I get there if there will be good bike parking or what the neighborhood will be like. I don't want to lock up my nice bike obviously.

I keep catching myself thinking these thoughts often. I think of these as a "sleeper bike" or a camouflage bike that doesn't scream "I'm nice, steal me".

Does anyone have a bike that's still fast and fun but isn't so nice that they wouldn't just lock it up outside on a telephone pole or parking meter or fence or whatever else you can find?

If so, what bikes are these? I'm thinking likely some vintage bike maybe?

twin
03-30-2019, 12:53 PM
My Handsome Fredward is a bike I feel comfortable taking shopping and locking it where I can. It has a couple of fun parts and no labels. I feel like it’s plenty fun and capable. I leave my good bikes for riding and not so much errands.

jtakeda
03-30-2019, 12:57 PM
I have a landshark with a repaired head tube I use as a messenger bike. It’s been on the road for 5 years and has been ok.

It’s neon crazy paint so maybe hiding in plain sight?

mhespenheide
03-30-2019, 12:59 PM
Tons of vintage bikes fit this niche. Mine is an old lugged Trek, but there's a world of them out there. For me, the sweet spot is "nice" lugged steel, like SL or 531 or similar, with first-generation 105 or 600. Downtube shifting, paint that's a little marked up, even a small ding or dent or two is okay. Non-aero brake cabling is good too.

If you've got a local bike co-op, start prowling there. Otherwise head over to bikeforums/classic and vintage and start poking around: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/

Veloo
03-30-2019, 01:04 PM
Schwinn S96.2
Bought it as my first MTB, was never very good at off-roading so I put 2 inch Kojaks on it to commute around the city.
Eventually added a rear rack and fenders which makes it that much less desirable. I really should take off the labels from the Mavic wheels I got years ago to tone it down even more.
A bag with pannier clips means no/ less sweaty backs in the summer. Also keep a cargo net in the bag in case I get an unexpected large purchase to bring home.

Very reliable as a commuter. I use a Kryptonite New York U lock to secure it along with Pinhead bolts.

TREEfool
03-30-2019, 01:20 PM
I bought a schwinn mtb for $25 at a garage sale. ALL OF YOU are thinking, "Oh, pff, that is just a crappy bike anyways. It isn't a sleeper!" but you would be totally wrong. After googling it when I got home it turned out to be Schwinn's topline mtb before they became a crappy bike brand. That thing was so damn fun and noone would expect it from an old rigid 26er.

kingpin75s
03-30-2019, 01:24 PM
A pair of the 2007 Masi Soulville coaster brake coffee cruisers. One in 3 speed and one in 8 speed. Mass produced version of the Retrotec Half styling, which I liked since I already had a real Half.

Mine are pretty upgraded, but no problem leaving them locked up around town even if the curves do attract a little attention.

Bradford
03-30-2019, 05:45 PM
Get a Ti Fierte. It rides wonderfully, although a little less aggressively than a pure race bike. I use mine for times when I like to be a tad more upright and don't want to worry about the bike, which is mostly travel, commuting, and some nasty winter rides. I lock it up three days a week when I commute and don't worry about it a bit because it wouldn't break the bank to replace. I worry more about my Oldpotatoe wheels on that bike than I do the frame. And since it's bare ti, I don't have to worry about the locks or bike racks scratching it.

It really is a nice bike, you can pick up a frame for short money, and if you want it totally stealth, the decals can be removed.

jamesdak
03-30-2019, 08:40 PM
This!

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/167398531.jpg

I keed....I keed.... :p:p

93KgBike
03-30-2019, 09:55 PM
Tons of vintage bikes fit this niche. Mine is an old lugged Trek, but there's a world of them out there. For me, the sweet spot is "nice" lugged steel, like SL or 531 or similar, with first-generation 105 or 600. Downtube shifting, paint that's a little marked up, even a small ding or dent or two is okay. Non-aero brake cabling is good too.

If you've got a local bike co-op, start prowling there. Otherwise head over to bikeforums/classic and vintage and start poking around: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/

So so so true

C40_guy
03-31-2019, 08:57 AM
I commuted for a while on a Cannondale T800, bought specifically for that purpose. Yea, I changed the groupset over to Record 9, but it was still pretty stealthy, at least to those that don't know bikes... I don't think I actually left it anywhere, other than locked in the office garage. Bike rack in the garage was lightly used, with a mix of inexpensive bikes and an occasional nice bike. Silly building had a rule about no bikes *in* the building.

When i commuted to other jobs, my bike was typically in my office.

Two important details:

I had no emotional attachment to the bike. (Not true for most of my stable). If it got stolen, I'd just replace it with something else.

Homeowner's insurance provides full replacement cost if stolen. I would have come out ahead financially if the bike had been stolen.

gomango
03-31-2019, 09:58 AM
Definitely my ParkPre Catalyst.

This is an old pic, as it's set up now with 3rd hand Crazy Bob's, vintage Blackburn racks and an old Carradice bar bag.

Great fishing bike and actually, decent on gravel.

Not too shabby for $25. imho

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4255/35690322362_1fb829914a_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/WnQepy)[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/36270004@N06/]gomango1849 (https://flic.kr/p/WnQepy), on Flickr

gomango
03-31-2019, 10:05 AM
I bought a schwinn mtb for $25 at a garage sale. ALL OF YOU are thinking, "Oh, pff, that is just a crappy bike anyways. It isn't a sleeper!" but you would be totally wrong. After googling it when I got home it turned out to be Schwinn's topline mtb before they became a crappy bike brand. That thing was so damn fun and noone would expect it from an old rigid 26er.

I did the same thing with my ParkPre.

I was coming back from a steelheading trip in northern Wisconsin and stopped at a garage sale.

I paid the lady $25 cash, as it's all I had with no atm's in sight.

I've got almost zero into the bike at this point and it's a hoot to ride. A little small for me, but I have plenty of other bikes for the particular occasion.

darkmother
03-31-2019, 10:54 AM
I commute on a Black Mountain Cycles road built with 11s bar end shifters, mixed group, de badged zonda wheels and fenders. I lock it up all the time.

It's nice to have a commuter bike that you actually want to ride.

old fat man
03-31-2019, 11:22 AM
Cannondale caad9 or 8 or 5?
Specialized aluminum something

As others have said, key is having something you want to ride.

Safepants
04-01-2019, 12:10 PM
Vintage is good. I have a 1988 Norco Montery that I put 700c wheels and the 105 5800 groupset on. It has a rack and a 63cm frame which i think is the best theft deterrent haha. Not many people can get over this top tube but as anyone in an urban environment knows, thieves are dumb and will steal anything.

Another bike i have is a 26" wheel steel 1996 GT Karakorum. I put a triple Sugino crankset with 53/39/30 and drop bars with bar end shifting. I consider this "sleeper" because I can throw it into the 53 ring and take off!

Butch
04-01-2019, 06:24 PM
Townie bike - made this ~ 1990 (I can't remember what year)Co-Motion mtb , FS1 fork (drilled and tapped for fenders and Paul's Components rack), Chris King hubs and headset, Mavic 517 rims, Suntour XC Pro grease guard bb/crank and derailleurs, with Schwalbe Marathons and a Ti King Cage to carry coffee

Butch
04-01-2019, 06:26 PM
Here is the pic I think

shoota
04-01-2019, 09:34 PM
It's my experience, and through anecdotal research, that bikes aren't stolen because they scream "I'm nice" but rather it's a crime of opportunity. In fact, nice bikes that stand out are often passed over because the likelihood of the owner caring is much higher, and the chances of it being recognized is much higher.

crankles
04-01-2019, 10:21 PM
i used a masi track bike to run tags a life time ago. It was completely covered in about 20 rolls of electrical tape. That combined with bolt on hubs made it convenient to u-lock to just about anything. If I needed something similar today, the only change I'd make is a bmx cassette instead of a fixed gear. My knees aren't what they used to be.

AdamSklar
04-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Here's my "Nisklarshi" Got most of it at the Bike coop for less than $20, added disc mounts, stem, rack and a few nice parts. Love this bike.

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/vp/82eeaae0fc5028956de47e8f1728ada6/5D330AB1/t51.2885-15/e35/54513969_559079604601578_5076790314433338750_n.jpg ?_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com