PDA

View Full Version : HSG vs All other carbon race bikes

saab2000
11-30-2006, 10:59 AM
I wanna hear more!!! Yesterday, or at least recently, the esteemed Obtuse insinuated that this bike in carbon could be a C-50 killer. Those are fightin' words 'cuz that C-50 has a pretty solid rep. I am curious to hear more about this bike.

Why is it taking a long time for these to come out? Is there a lot of testing going on?

There is just enough to keep us intrigued, but we need more!!!

I'll have mine with just a clearcoat over the carbon, svp.

fierte_poser
11-30-2006, 11:26 AM
i think he was referring to the attack, not the hsg carbon...

davids
11-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Attack is to MeiVici as Nove is to Ottrott.

HSG is more like the Fierté - standard geometries, but with different models:
Cyclocross: Ti and Steel
Road: Ti and IT
Aero Tri: Ti and Steel

Jason E
11-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Cyclocross: Ti and Steel
Road: Ti and IT
Aero Tri: Ti and Steel

There will also be a HSG Carbon..... Stock Geometry. The Attack is the same as the HSG Carbon but with custom Geometry.

Your Ottrott v. Nove analogy is dead on for the attack.

davids
11-30-2006, 12:04 PM
There will also be a HSG Carbon..... Stock Geometry. The Attack is the same as the HSG Carbon but with custom Geometry.
I stand corrected. My info was right off Serotta's news page!

Jason E
11-30-2006, 12:14 PM
I apologize if that came across wrong or rude, that was not my intent....

Also I stand corrected. The HSG Carbon is TC2 and the Attack is TC3...

(Model Comparison Page)

davids
11-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Not offended at all! (I'll apologize for giving you that sense!)

Johny
11-30-2006, 01:12 PM
I wanna hear more!!! Yesterday, or at least recently, the esteemed Obtuse insinuated that this bike in carbon could be a C-50 killer. Those are fightin' words 'cuz that C-50 has a pretty solid rep. I am curious to hear more about this bike.

Why is it taking a long time for these to come out? Is there a lot of testing going on?

There is just enough to keep us intrigued, but we need more!!!

I'll have mine with just a clearcoat over the carbon, svp.

I agree with some others that the Attack's would be more like an Ottrott killer.

Climb01742
11-30-2006, 01:27 PM
or you could see the attack as externally focused: anyone who was at interbike (as ben was) saw the flood of ever cheaper, ever better carbon bikes coming out of china. the meivici is a statement bike. but much like the 3 series accounts for over half of bmw sales, serotta needs a competitively priced carbon frame.

care to guess why the attack is painted? cheaper and faster than finishing carbon tubes with "sexy" carbon finish layer. attack is about performance at a price/profit point.

Bittersweet
11-30-2006, 02:22 PM
care to guess why the attack is painted? cheaper and faster than finishing carbon tubes with "sexy" carbon finish layer. attack is about performance at a price/profit point.

How much is the Attack? A C50 is $4100 retail and it isn't painted (if you choose). A Meivici is $7395 but custom. Attack must be a big price reduction.

Serotta PETE
11-30-2006, 02:26 PM
I think it is somewhere around 4K

fierte_poser
11-30-2006, 02:30 PM
http://www.serotta.com/pages/ownersnews.html

HSG Carbon at MSRP $4195 is an all out full carbon race frame, very responsive yet smooth enough for a full day in the saddle…production will begin within the next few weeks.

The ATTACK Carbon frame ($4895) is the custom version of the HSG!

Climb01742
11-30-2006, 02:32 PM
pete is right, i believe, and attacks are custom.

Bittersweet
11-30-2006, 02:50 PM
$4195 plus you need a $720 F3 fork?

How much is a Parlee?

Does it really only come with paint?

"Putty and paint make a carpenter what he ain't"

saab2000
11-30-2006, 02:57 PM
That's a lotta coin. I'll be checking out the steel version. Or just continuing to ride what I have.

Big Dan
11-30-2006, 03:04 PM
4895?

ouch..... :(

Sandy
11-30-2006, 03:28 PM
I agree with some others that the Attack's would be more like an Ottrott killer.

My goodness. Will any of them be even a little friendly? My sweet Ottrott has started to exhibit a little nervousness lately. :rolleyes:

:banana: Severely Shaking So Scared So Sweet So Serotta Sandy :banana:

Johny
11-30-2006, 03:43 PM
My goodness. Will any of them be even a little friendly? My sweet Ottrott has started to exhibit a little nervousness lately. :rolleyes:

ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTAC K...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...A TTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK ...ATTACK...
ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTAC K...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...A TTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK...ATTACK ...ATTACK...

Johny
11-30-2006, 03:46 PM
4895?

ouch..... :(

But that's still cheaper than an Ottrott. Definitely will kill Ottrott's.

Sandy
11-30-2006, 03:56 PM
But that's still cheaper than an Ottrott. Definitely will kill Ottrott's.

First it is ATTACK the Ottrott. Now it is KILL the Ottrott. Is there no warmth or love left for my wonderful ride? :rolleyes:

Sandy

Jason E
11-30-2006, 04:00 PM
I'm pretty sure the Ottrott uses the T4 level carbon, like the Meivici. That's up from the Attack. As well, it also offers the ST Rear.

I'll take my Ottrott over an Attack.

Vs. a Meivici is a different question, but I can't afford one, so there you go.

The Ottrott is the Meivici on a bit of a budjet. The Attack is a less expensive Carbon bike.

Come to think of it, we can guess all we want... Perhaps an "Andrew" type person could clarify for all of us.

Johny
11-30-2006, 04:01 PM
First it is ATTACK the Ottrott. Now it is KILL the Ottrott. Is there no warmth or love left for my wonderful ride? :rolleyes:

Sandy

Dear Sandy,

Come ride with us (I will invite dbrk, hypnos...) so we can see your Ottrott before s/he dies... :rolleyes:

John

P.S. And come to my wife's birthday party (12/10). :)

davids
11-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Here are Serotta's best buys:

Fierté steel: $1,295
Fierté Ti: $2,195
Fierté IT: $2,595
HSG Carbon: $4,195

...and I'm guessing the HSG Ti and HSG IT models are priced the same as their Fierté equivalents.

Based on my experience, I'll bet any one of those models is more than competitive on price. 90% of us don't need custom, and are probably better off riding a geometry that Kelly Bedford's sweated over for a few decades. atmo.

chrisroph
11-30-2006, 04:06 PM
That's a lotta coin. I'll be checking out the steel version. Or just continuing to ride what I have.

A lot of guys on used $300 frames dust a bunch of dudes on $10k sleds. It ain't the machine, its the motor.

(Remember the Maria Muldair song, it ain't the meat its the motion?)

Serotta PETE
11-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Sandy, I have not ridden one BUT the OTTROTT is hard to beat for ride and road feel. A friend just got an OTTROTT because of the "ride" that he likes.

It will probably take some sales BUT folks are really into anything CARBON> You need to ride and see if you like a carbon bike. It is not better or worse - - just different and lighter. As to light ,if I left the wine alone I would be lighter and could compete with an ATTACK with Bailey (btw he misses you!!)

Pete

saab2000
11-30-2006, 04:44 PM
A lot of guys on used $300 frames dust a bunch of dudes on $10k sleds. It ain't the machine, its the motor.

(Remember the Maria Muldair song, it ain't the meat its the motion?)

I am sort of hoping to do some dusting next season. And hopefully on my Look. BTW, had a good ride on my Merckx today.

The main reason I am looking at the HSG is that I would not mind consolidating my collection of fine racing bikes and maybe going down from 3 to 2. I like all my bikes and there is no doubt that the rider is vastly more important than the ride.

Sandy
11-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Here are Serotta's best buys:

Fierté steel: $1,295
Fierté Ti: $2,195
Fierté IT: $2,595
HSG Carbon: $4,195

...and I'm guessing the HSG Ti and HSG IT models are priced the same as their Fierté equivalents.

Based on my experience, I'll bet any one of those models is more than competitive on price. 90% of us don't need custom, and are probably better off riding a geometry that Kelly Bedford's sweated over for a few decades. atmo.

I would definitely add the CDA to that list (I know that it is custom).

Sandy

Sandy
11-30-2006, 06:55 PM
Dear Sandy,

Come ride with us (I will invite dbrk, hypnos...) so we can see your Ottrott before s/he dies... :rolleyes:

John

P.S. And come to my wife's birthday party (12/10). :)

My Ottrott is quite smart. She is wearing a MeiVici disguise and says that she is looking for one of the ATTACK bikes. :)

Your wife must be a really wonderful person. I might just have to spend time at her party and some other person's party. :)