PDA

View Full Version : When USPS goes stupid.

mdeth1313
03-29-2019, 03:04 AM
Waiting for a new handlebar from Germany. Normally when things come into the NYC area they get routed to NJ and then directly to me or to Albany (90 minutes north of me) and then to my area to me. This time - off to western MA. Now I woke up to get a notification it's sitting in southern Maine. Motherf-ers. I was hoping to put those on the bike this week. Originally "expected delivery" from USPS was March 26. Gotta love it.

(read bottom up)

March 28, 2019, 10:31 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
SOUTHERN ME DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in SOUTHERN ME DISTRIBUTION CENTER on March 28, 2019 at 10:31 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

March 28, 2019, 6:44 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
SPRINGFIELD MA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

March 28, 2019, 12:11 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
March 27, 2019
In Transit to Next Facility

March 26, 2019, 11:06 am
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
March 26, 2019, 9:10 am
Processed Through Facility

FOREIGN CENTERJERSEY CITY NJ 099
March 24, 2019, 2:10 pm
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
March 18, 2019, 7:04 pm
FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, GERMANY

March 14, 2019, 7:50 pm
Acceptance
GERMANY

dancinkozmo
03-29-2019, 03:38 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/full/795147008/hAF47C60C/

charliedid
03-29-2019, 03:47 AM
Waiting for a new handlebar from Germany. Normally when things come into the NYC area they get routed to NJ and then directly to me or to Albany (90 minutes north of me) and then to my area to me. This time - off to western MA. Now I woke up to get a notification it's sitting in southern Maine. Motherf-ers. I was hoping to put those on the bike this week. Originally "expected delivery" from USPS was March 26. Gotta love it.

(read bottom up)

March 28, 2019, 10:31 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
SOUTHERN ME DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in SOUTHERN ME DISTRIBUTION CENTER on March 28, 2019 at 10:31 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

March 28, 2019, 6:44 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility

March 28, 2019, 12:11 pm
March 27, 2019
In Transit to Next Facility

March 26, 2019, 11:06 am
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
March 26, 2019, 9:10 am

FOREIGN CENTERJERSEY CITY NJ 099
March 24, 2019, 2:10 pm
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment
March 18, 2019, 7:04 pm
FRANKFURT/FLUGHAFEN, GERMANY

March 14, 2019, 7:50 pm
Acceptance
GERMANY

That is really tragic news, I sure hope you and your family make it out in one piece. Don't forget to reach out, that's what friends are for. Thoughts and prayers.

zmalwo
03-29-2019, 03:49 AM
2 weeks for an international package is not even that bad. I once shipped a pair of hyperon ultra twos to someone in SF from NJ and it got stuck around the bay area for 2 weeks. The buyer was so mad and was about to file an item not received case against me. after calling their post office and they finally got it unstuck and delivered the next day. Took them a little less than a month. It scared the sht out of me because If buyers files an item not received case when it's past eBay's estimated delivery time it doesn't matter if the item gets delivered or not you automatically lose. I thought I was gonna lose a pair of $1300 wheels for nothing.

Burnette
03-29-2019, 03:50 AM
When I saw the title "When USPS goes stupid" I just knew that it was going to be that time when they didn't get a rider in the early breakaway.

Sigh, #whendopedbikeracingwasfuntowatch

prototoast
03-29-2019, 04:19 AM
Unfortunately you have little or no recourse with USPS. One time they delivered some packages to the weong address. They we're able to confirm this because the postman who scanned my package on delivery had a route that didn't even cover my apartment at the time. It was clearly their error, but I was out of luck, and as a consumer, you don't have the same protections you'd have with a real company.

cash05458
03-29-2019, 06:21 AM
Do hope you survive this and get your bars...just remember...it is tragedy like this that builds character...

jamesdak
03-29-2019, 06:31 AM
LOL, I've been waiting for a Paletti frame from Belgium since the 18th of Feb. It's now somewhere between NYC and me....:confused:

fmradio516
03-29-2019, 06:44 AM
I just got my t shirt from Poland last week that was postmarked the first week of january... not surprised

mdeth1313
03-29-2019, 07:10 AM
That is really tragic news, I sure hope you and your family make it out in one piece. Don't forget to reach out, that's what friends are for. Thoughts and prayers.

Thanks - did you consider changing your name to Richard? :)

Monsieur Toast
03-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Shiiiiii .... a curse upon the USPS for a million reasons.

I used to have to deal with shipping issues on occasion when I worked for Patagonia. Once they freaking lost an entire semi truck full of packages during the holiday season after picking it up from the distribution center. Good news is they managed to find it in like February of the next year. Hooray! Great job guys!

So yeah, hundreds+ of orders during Christmas that just disappeared into the USPS void of suck. We expedited replacements to as many customers as possible, but a lot of items were no longer available so you got the whole "you ruined Christmas" story because someone didn't get their socks or a sweater.

Then there was one of the times I was moving cross country someone at the USPS opened up and stole the entire contents of ten of my boxes -- art books, DVDs, CDs, and personal art/photo journals I'd worked in for decades, etc. I received in the mail ten notices from the USPS over a month after I shipped them that my package had been located damaged in one of their facilities and they were unable to locate the contents. But if I provided a description of what was in them they could look for them. They offered no response to my queries, reimbursement for my losses since it was media mail, or help otherwise. That was actually pretty emotionally devastating.

Anywho, frustrating experience. Hope you get your stuff.

cash05458
03-29-2019, 09:05 AM
"Shiiiiii .... a curse upon the USPS for a million reasons."

While I get your frustration...after being a carrier my whole career I can tell you folks actually do give a ****...hard working folks...next time do it by fed ex or ups...I can tell you they have their same problems...believe it or not, shipping stuff sometimes goes wrong...keep whining and one day you might get your wish...no postal service...see how that works out...want to send a birthday card to granny via ups...yeah, about 11 bucks to do that now...wait until the postal service is gone...then you will really whine...

Monsieur Toast
03-29-2019, 09:25 AM

While I get your frustration...after being a carrier my whole career I can tell you folks actually do give a ****...hard working folks...next time do it by fed ex or ups...I can tell you they have their same problems...believe it or not, shipping stuff sometimes goes wrong...keep whining and one day you might get your wish...no postal service...see how that works out...want to send a birthday card to granny via ups...yeah, about 11 bucks to do that now...wait until the postal service is gone...then you will really whine...

Uhhh yeah, I do ship a lot of stuff by FedEx, and UPS, and private shipping companies for the company I work for. So, we're talking hundreds of packages and tens of millions of dollars of items in shipments a year for over fifteen years now. I've had FedEx put a forklift through a painting, and UPS drive over another package, but compared to the USPS they're still top shelf in my book. Accidents do happen – and I know there are a ton of great people that work at the Postal Service – but the general level of quality and service has been doing the long, slow decline towards the garbage bin for quite a while now.

And you're right, I did learn my lesson when USPS burned me so bad through outright thievery by an employee – that no one gave a fsck about – that I've never used them again for anything but postcards. $11 ain't no big deal when the alternative is giving someone $1 to not do the job.

Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I definitely wasn't whining and just relayed a few USPS stories that I've experienced over the years that were so egregious it still blows my mind. Cheers!

cash05458
03-29-2019, 09:31 AM
hey fair enough...no worries...use whomever you think is best...I aint no usps huge fan believe me as I worked for them for a helluva long time and know the internals...lots of problems...personally, I always found UPS good as I knew all the other delivery guys of course via various companies...UPS was good tho they still had things happen all the time just like anyone...they paid their folks well, which makes a difference...Fed Ex pays their folks **** and hires anyone pretty much anyone...lots of minimum wage for local guys and that would show up...as for outright theft via something you had that you seem to know was stolen by an employee, I can guarantee if that was true and that wasn't just a feeling of yours the person is gone...postal inspection service is pretty serious via that...it is their meat really...

charliedid
03-29-2019, 10:26 AM
Thanks - did you consider changing your name to Richard? :)

[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliedid
03-29-2019, 10:28 AM

[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gsinill
03-29-2019, 11:29 AM
Better waiting a few days for the mailman than paying insane broker and customs fees to FedEx or UPS.
Ask me how I know...

mdeth1313
03-29-2019, 02:28 PM
My original post was just watching how things go around. I'm sure there's a system in place but I've watched the tracking on my international packages that come into NYC and they go all over the place - North, South, East, West, sometimes as far out as the middle of PA (for an eastern NY delivery). It just makes no sense. I guess when it's that large a volume of packages things end up all over the place.

FYI, I wasn't upset, I've come to expect this kind of stuff - it's been 2 weeks since the order was placed. I've had stuff come from Germany in 3 days and also 3 weeks.

I guess on the internets, people automatically assume the worst.

I also had UPS lose and international package. The shop in Italy I ordered from sent out a replacement and 2 weeks after that arrived safe and sound, UPS called to tell me they found the original, which I told them to return as I received a replacement.

ultraman6970
03-29-2019, 02:42 PM
USPS is not even that bad... you have to read the reviews of B-post... stuff could get stuck at the local post office for weeks before is sent to the airport, frustrating for everybody.

ceya
03-29-2019, 03:40 PM
Just make sure you have insurance. Even working for some delivery companies, I still don't understand the madness.

dave thompson
03-29-2019, 03:48 PM
Don't Ever mail anything into, in or out of Mexico. Mail here moves at a glacial pace, if at all.

jamesdak
03-29-2019, 03:48 PM
USPS is not even that bad... you have to read the reviews of B-post... stuff could get stuck at the local post office for weeks before is sent to the airport, frustrating for everybody.

Speaking of which.....Guess what's finally at the post office today waiting for me to pick up. :banana::banana::banana:

ceya
03-29-2019, 03:50 PM
Rush there now.

ultraman6970
03-29-2019, 08:41 PM
U happy now eh? :D

Speaking of which.....Guess what's finally at the post office today waiting for me to pick up. :banana::banana::banana:

kppolich
03-29-2019, 08:56 PM
Not even close to bad, especially international.

The last 2 shipments I've had, the first with USPS and the 2nd with FedEx jumped around something crazy.

USPS: Sat in chicago for (4) days:
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?tLabels=9461209699937252876280

FexEx: I was given the wrong tracking number but look at the path this package takes if you think you had it bad.
https://www.fedex.com/apps/fedextrack/?tracknumbers=786224633911

Bruce K
03-30-2019, 04:40 AM
I have generally found USPS to be reliable and efficient for anything domestic they are willing to ship.

I have seen some odd routings on occasion but everything has arrived and generally on time.

International has been more of an adventure as the tracking can be/has been more unreliable.

You are lucky as my experience with international is that USPS often goes dark once things leave the port of entry.

Good luck

BK

PaMtbRider
03-30-2019, 05:25 AM
I just received an envelope with some important documents that was sent USPS 9 days ago. The city they were sent from is a little over 2 hours away. At the same time I received 2 different packages, 1 from Bulgaria and the other from Thailand. Both arrived in less than 5 days with free shipping. There seems to be no consistency on when you receive a package with usps.

oldpotatoe
03-30-2019, 06:14 AM
And you're right, I did learn my lesson when USPS burned me so bad through outright thievery by an employee – that no one gave a fsck about – that I've never used them again for anything but postcards. $11 ain't no big deal when the alternative is giving someone $1 to not do the job.

Well, then I gotta tell ya about the IWatch I got for my son't birthday, from UPS.....and after he left, noticed the long Apple box wasn't sealed and zounds, the watch was gone..Did UPS give a fook? Not in the least, Apple replaced it...so Ymmv and all that...

Try a small box coast to coast, any weight, in 2-3 days for $7.90 and fedex and UPS..not trying to defend anybody but pretty wide brush you paint there.

jamesdak
03-30-2019, 07:15 AM
U happy now eh? :D

Oh yeah!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

https://pbase.com/jhuddle/image/168977803.jpg

Worth the wait and worry.