PDA

View Full Version : OT: Boxer owners? Possible White Boxer adoption ahead.

William
11-30-2006, 09:14 AM
I know we have some Boxer owners on the forum and I was wondering if I could pick your brains for a moment? We have had an opportunity come up to possibly adopt a young, deaf, White Boxer pup (about 1 yr old). I know they are a great breed, but it is a breed that I have little experience with (exp being Mastiffs, Basset Hounds, and Gray hound mixes). I also understand that there will be special issues working with a deaf puppy, but I taught my dog Slim how to respond to hand signals so I think I have a little experience in the right direction here. Any information or resources to search out would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

William

Ginger
11-30-2006, 09:46 AM
Have you been here?

http://www.deafdogs.org/

Chad Engle
11-30-2006, 09:54 AM
I have a good friend with a deaf great dane. If you have any specific questions you could pm me and I'll get them to him.

Good luck on the adoption. Based on my experience with the dane, I wouldn't let the fact that he is deaf deter you.

Good on you for adopting!

SGP
11-30-2006, 10:03 AM
two years ago, we adopted a boxer-rottie mix puppy. it is a very, very smart dog that taught our then seven-year-old rottie a few tricks
"if you dump the entire kitchen garbage you get so many more goodies than if you just pick from the top!"

it is a very smart and sensitive & snuggly dog.

we are pet sitting four very old doxies; one is mostly blind and deaf. she spends her day napping or walking in circles.

Sorry not much help.

crossjunkee
11-30-2006, 10:05 AM
Hi William,

I don't have specific information on deaf boxers. I do know most white boxers are deaf, but that's about the extent. We adopted through a boxer rescue several years ago. She has been an absolute dream companion. I can't say enough about boxers. She's my first boxer, my wife introduced me to the breed. We will adopt another one I'm sure of it.

On a side note. I think a deaf boxer would be easy to manage. They tend to cling and keep all eyes on you. The do sleep very sound, so you would need to be careful when you wake her or him. People dogs for sure, you can't go wrong!

pale scotsman
11-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Our next door neighbor has a deaf bulldog that looks just like Uga the Georgia mascot. He's the loudest, snortinest, stoutest, playfullest, slobbering ball of fun around. Great with kids too.

The main thing is we keep a real close eye on him in case he gets out of the fenced yard. He's been hit before at the owners previous house and it was pretty bad. I wouldn't let a deaf dog roam free unless you have a lot of land.

William
12-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Thank you for your replies and help everyone. Angell was adopted by another couple and is going to a very good home. A friend of ours told us about this girl yesterday and I was going to go see her but another couple had come by the shelter earlier in the week and was approved to adopt her.

CJ, very cute. From what I have read and experienced from friends with Boxers, they are a breed that we would strongly consider. We have the room and the love, and as long as they get along with Rhea Basset, it can work.

William :)

Blastinbob
12-01-2006, 08:16 AM
This is our second boxer, her name is Bella. Don't give up looking for one, there are Boxer rescues all over the country as well as good breeders. www.akc.org

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m101/blastinbob/IMG_0051.jpg

Sandy
12-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Thank you for your replies and help everyone. Angell was adopted by another couple and is going to a very good home. A friend of ours told us about this girl yesterday and I was going to go see her but another couple had come by the shelter earlier in the week and was approved to adopt her.

CJ, very cute. From what I have read and experienced from friends with Boxers, they are a breed that we would strongly consider. We have the room and the love, and as long as they get along with Rhea Basset, it can work.

William :)

I know that I would get along with Rhea Basset. My wife just put me up for adoption. I used to be a boxer until I lost 45 straight bouts. Do I meet your criteria for adoption?

Joe Louis

William
12-01-2006, 08:56 AM
I know that I would get along with Rhea Basset. My wife just put me up for adoption. I used to be a boxer until I lost 45 straight bouts. Do I meet your criteria for adoption?

Joe Louis

Sandy,

We would consider adopting you......though you'll have to go five rounds with Rhea Basset first before she'll give up a spot by the radiator. ;)

William

http://www.beactivetooele.org/A_A_Assets_Be_Active_T/Images/Animations/Animals/young_guy_running_with_boxer_dog_lg_clr.gif

http://www.boxersinneed.org/media/dog_pics/animated_dogs.gif

http://animals.timduru.org/dirlist/dog/BoxerDog-Layaa-AnimatedTranspart.gif

jt2gt
12-04-2006, 04:24 PM
My brother has two -- white and brown. The white is clearly the most athletic. The brown is the smartest.

Here is the white one jumping over his big wooden fence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ALPI_m8110

They are great with our kids (3 and 5yrs).

JT

taz-t
12-04-2006, 05:33 PM
Hi William,

I don't have specific information on deaf boxers. I do know most white boxers are deaf, but that's about the extent. We adopted through a boxer rescue several years ago. She has been an absolute dream companion. I can't say enough about boxers. She's my first boxer, my wife introduced me to the breed. We will adopt another one I'm sure of it.

On a side note. I think a deaf boxer would be easy to manage. They tend to cling and keep all eyes on you. The do sleep very sound, so you would need to be careful when you wake her or him. People dogs for sure, you can't go wrong!

Crossjunkee -

Most white boxers are NOT deaf. There may be some correlation, but the relationship between color and deafness is way overstated. Rate of deafness is not significantly greater for whites than for the breed at large. Mainly, white boxers pups are put down because they are not to breed standard and the deafness excuse is used to justify.

Having had a white boxer and access to UGA vet school library at the time, I looked into this and found research on the subject. And because I love boxers, I usually will talk to the owners of any I meet - especially whites. Only one deaf one in the ones I've met. (I know this is anecdotal, and not significant). Also, white boxers are not albino. That genetic trait may have a link to deafness- I don't know.

- Taz

crossjunkee
12-04-2006, 07:14 PM
Crossjunkee -

Most white boxers are NOT deaf. There may be some correlation, but the relationship between color and deafness is way overstated. Rate of deafness is not significantly greater for whites than for the breed at large. Mainly, white boxers pups are put down because they are not to breed standard and the deafness excuse is used to justify.

Having had a white boxer and access to UGA vet school library at the time, I looked into this and found research on the subject. And because I love boxers, I usually will talk to the owners of any I meet - especially whites. Only one deaf one in the ones I've met. (I know this is anecdotal, and not significant). Also, white boxers are not albino. That genetic trait may have a link to deafness- I don't know.

- Taz

Very interesting.

I thought the cause of deafness in white boxers is due to a pigment deficiency in the ear and the subsequent loss of sensory hair cells, similar I believe to Dalmatians. But I'm not a vet.

I shouldn't have said "most" are deaf, I don't really know. It seems to be a trend though....

http://www.boxerrescue.com/whiteboxer.htm

I am happy the boxer was adopted! Thanks for letting us know William. Also, keep us posted on your adoption search.

catulle
12-04-2006, 08:33 PM
Adopt this cute boxer, atmo...

William
12-05-2006, 05:58 AM
As has been stated, not all white Boxers are born deaf. What I have noticed in looking at the different rescue organizations out there is that a number of White boxers are deaf, more so then non white boxers. Not scientific by any means, just an observation.

I'll certainly keep you all up on our search and will let you know when we find a friend to share our home with.

William

Catulle: Do you get along with Basset Hounds? Rhea Basset is a tough hombre. ;) :D
http://www.dvcreators.net/discuss/images/smilies/fighting72.gif

catulle
12-05-2006, 06:51 AM
I love Basset Hounds...

William
12-12-2006, 06:06 AM
I don't mean to bring the forum down here, but I am always amazed at the cruelty that some poeple will inflict on helpless animals. I'm currently watching three different Boxer rescure organizations and Blizzard just recently came into one of them. If anyone is interested in helping him or the organization out, please let me know and I will refer you.

William

http://www.adoptaboxerrescue.com/availdogs/Avail2006/Avail0611/WhiteMaleBoxerPA.jpg

This sweetheart is so happy to be with people who love him and feed him. Blizzard is so loving to each person he has met despite what some evil humans did to him. When taken outside, he looks around in amazement at his new world. He acts as if he has never seen the outside. He looks with such wonder at the grass, birds the sky and then looks at me as if to say "Is this for real? Am I really here"? I try to comfort him with calm and confident words that everything will be OK now.

AABR received the news of Blizzard and within hours he was in our vets care and being evaluated. He needs to be fed numerous small meals everyday for quite sometime. Other than being severely emaciated we believe Blizzard is going to be OK. Much to the vets amazement, he was all kisses and wiggles. When he wiggled he fell down so we are trying to keep his excitement to a minimum and hold him gently.

He is in need of a loving foster home who has the time and patience to nurse him back to health. He will need to be on a special diet and see the vet on a regular basis. Please consider helping us help Blizzard with all of his care. We could use help with his vet bills.

Blizzard needs a great foster home, a couple big soft beds, he could use a coat so he can go outside with out shivering, special diet food and more than anything he needs people out there to know what people are doing to man's best friends.

Ginger
12-12-2006, 07:35 AM
I've worked with a breed rescue organization before and unfortunately this is all too common...poor pup. I hope he survives.

William
12-12-2006, 08:05 AM
I've worked with a breed rescue organization before and unfortunately this is all too common...poor pup. I hope he survives.

Very true.

Just like there are people who should never have kids, there are people who should never have pets. If you don't have empathy and responsibility hard wired, just get a pet Rock.

William

Sandy
12-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Very true.

Just like there are people who should never have kids, there are people who should never have pets. If you don't have empathy and responsibility hard wired, just get a pet Rock.

William

So true.

Sandy

catulle
12-12-2006, 09:47 AM

Ginger
12-12-2006, 01:47 PM
I just came across this list on the cost of pets. This is another thing people should take a look at before they get something soft and fuzzy...I'm not sure I agree with the cost on the rabbit and guinea pig...but ok...

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals offers the following averages, which include food, medical care and various accessories:

First-year costs of common pets
Small bird $195
Small dog $810

Fish $235
Rabbit $911

Guinea pig $645
Medium dog $1,190

Cat $715
Large dog $1,580

Source: ASPCA

If your animal gets sick or hurt, your costs could skyrocket. Reading "Should you buy pet insurance?" could help you decide whether to sign up for coverage.

crossjunkee
12-19-2006, 10:54 PM
William,

How about an update???

Thanks,

CJ

dvancleve
12-19-2006, 11:37 PM
As has been stated, not all white Boxers are born deaf. What I have noticed in looking at the different rescue organizations out there is that a number of White boxers are deaf, more so then non white boxers. Not scientific by any means, just an observation.

I'll certainly keep you all up on our search and will let you know when we find a friend to share our home with.

William

My understanding is that when they are pure white deafness is fairly common. When they have even a tiny bit of pigment (small spot or whatever) they are almost always fine.

FWIW, my family had a big Boxer/something bigger cross that was a fantastic dog. We got him as a youngster from animal control. We think he was about 1. We had him for about 5 years before our first daughter was born, but he was about the best dog ever with the girls. It was interesting, because he was clearly not purebred but his tail was docked and his dewclaws removed. My theory is that his mom was a Boxer and the pups looked about right when they were born...

Good luck and merry Christmas,
Doug

(Now have a Canaan Dog and a Greyhound, both rescues...)

William
12-20-2006, 05:45 AM
William,

How about an update???

Thanks,

CJ

Thank you to all who helped out Blizzard with donations. :cool: I know he's very appreciative.

William

Update:

12/16/07
It's going really well. He has already put on 10 pounds and no longer has loose stools. He gets better every day and his personality is really coming thru. Sweet! He gets along well with the other dogs, although he is sooo obsessed about food I have to keep him separate for feedings. I took this photo tonight.

Blizzard is scheduled for neuter in 2 weeks. I think he is strong enough now.

www.adoptaboxerrescue.com

crossjunkee
12-20-2006, 09:35 AM
That makes my day! Thanks for the update William!

William
02-22-2007, 10:05 AM
2/20/07
Blizzard is in a home in NYC with a super vet that is fostering him while he recovers from his trauma of starvation. He is looking great and feeling great. He is now working on his house manners. Blizzard is great with other dogs and good with cats.

There are good people in this world. :beer:

William

coylifut
02-22-2007, 10:20 AM
thanks William, keep us posted.

William
03-20-2007, 11:03 AM
03/04/07 -
Blizzard is doing great. Can you believe the difference in his before and after pictures? He is now 56 lbs, and a happy-go-lucky kinda guy who loves people and toys.

He has spent time around children of all ages and is a natural with them. We made him sit for this picture when he was busy playing with a group of kids, hence the expression on his face. He just wanted to play.

This boy will make a great addition to any family.

Kevan
03-20-2007, 11:06 AM
Is this to suggest he hasn't found home yet?

William
03-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Is this to suggest he hasn't found home yet?

They haven't stated yet whether he's ready to adopt. Yet he is listed on their available dog section.

William

http://www.adoptaboxerrescue.com/availdogs/Avail2006/Avail0611/BlizzardPA0611.htm

William
04-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Good news folks,

Blizzard is set to be adopted. Looks they have a prospective family for him and I'm sure it will be finalized soon. It's wonderful to see him come back from the brink of death from cruelty and malice, and yet still be a loving and trusting guy.

I wish you all the best buddy.

William

taz-t
04-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Good news folks,

Blizzard is set to be adopted. Looks they have a prospective family for him and I'm sure it will be finalized soon. It's wonderful to see him come back from the brink of death from cruelty and malice, and yet still be a loving and trusting guy.

I wish you all the best buddy.

William

Thanks for the update William. That's great news.

- taz

chuckred
04-06-2007, 02:43 PM
My sister's dauchsund - from the Pound to this! http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos3140/1/11/19/14/2/1/102141911110_0_ALB.jpg