PDA

View Full Version : Wow!

Elefantino
03-28-2019, 07:59 AM
Wow Air is toast. Was a great budget carrier from the East Coast to Europe.

Apparently the fares were *too* low.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/03/28/business/wow-air-scli-intl/index.html

Spaghetti Legs
03-28-2019, 08:07 AM
Wow! First time I’ve heard of them. Maybe that’s part of their problem. I’m not too sure I’d be comfortable flying in an airplane with that painted on the side. What other names do you think they considered? “Whoa!”, “Dude!”, “Zut Alors!” - for Paris flights.

Jaybee
03-28-2019, 08:10 AM
I assume "Whoa!" airlines has Keanu movies* on loop?

*FYI - The Matrix turned 20 yesterday.

dgauthier
03-28-2019, 08:15 AM
If WOW declares bankruptcy, anyone left holding their tickets will be SOL.

dgauthier
03-28-2019, 08:20 AM
They could re-incorporate under a new name: Foreign United Commercial Travel. And the letters painted on the side of the planes would be...

VTCaraco
03-28-2019, 08:27 AM
Tough break.

I would see long lines in some of the major European hubs at the WOW desk.

With this being spring break season and such an inexpensive way to travel to Europe, I feel bad for the folks that showed up to the airport only to find that their airline is no longer in business. Especially knowing that their market was the bargain hunter.
I would imagine it might be really tough for some college kid to find a reasonable fair back to the US for classes next week (admittedly, the kid would be fortunate to be traveling and such, but still...).

deechee
03-28-2019, 08:31 AM
It's too bad about the sudden closure, Skúli Mogensen was a great guy to work for when I was at his previous company, OZ Communications. My impression was that he always cared about his employees, I'll give him the benefit of doubt that he did all that he could to keep things going.

45K10
03-28-2019, 08:33 AM
I guess a bunch of people are stranded at Logan airport (Boston) because of this. Their fares were pretty cheap but not enough to make me take a chance on them. I always used Icelandair instead.

merlinmurph
03-28-2019, 09:12 AM
I took WOW twice in the past, to Iceland and Ireland. Cheap fares, very bare bones planes that were like being in a car with roll-up windows am AM radio. No screens, no audio - nothing.

Feel bad for those who showed up for a flight with no airline.

daker13
03-28-2019, 09:19 AM
Too bad. I flew WOW to Iceland and thought it was a pretty decent airline--bare bones, but they were nice to their customers, at least.