PDA

View Full Version : Science: Cyclists not human enough.

MattTuck
03-27-2019, 09:11 AM
I'm sure this will surprise no one who has ever ridden a bike.

https://www.qut.edu.au/news?id=141968

The study by researchers at Monash University, QUT’s Centre for Accident Research & Road Safety – Queensland (CARRS-Q) and the University of Melbourne’s School of Psychological Sciences, is the first study to look at a road-user group with the problem of dehumanisation, which is typically studied in relation to attitudes towards racial or ethnic groups.

But if drivers can put a human face to cyclists, researchers say this could reduce aggression directed at cyclists and road trauma involving riders.

The research, Dehumanization of cyclists predicts self-reported aggressive behaviour toward them published in Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, notes that cyclists have been conceptualised as a minority group and a target of negative attitudes and behaviour.

The study, involving 442 respondents in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland, identified people’s attitude to cyclists and whether they were cyclists or non-cyclists themselves.

Participants in the study were given either the iconic evolution of ape to man image, or an adaption of that image showing the stages of evolution from cockroach to human.

cockroach to human scale.Researchers developed an insect scale for the study. credit: Monash University.

Lead author Dr Alexa Delbosc, Senior Lecturer in the Institute of Transport Studies (Faculty of Civil Engineering) at Monash University, said the insect-human scale (below) was designed for the study because of the many informal slurs against cyclists comparing them to “cockroaches” or “mosquitoes”.

On both ape-human and insect-human scales, 55 per cent of non-cyclists and 30 per cent of cyclists rated cyclists as not completely human.

Acts of aggression towards cyclists were not uncommon, with 17 per cent saying they had used their car to deliberately block a cyclist, 11 per cent had deliberately driven their car close to a cyclist and 9 per cent had used their car to cut off a cyclist.

“When you don’t think someone is ‘fully’ human, it’s easier to justify hatred or aggression towards them. This can set up an escalating cycle of resentment,” Dr Delbosc said.

“If cyclists feel dehumanised by other road users, they may be more likely to act out against motorists, feeding into a self-fulfilling prophecy that further fuels dehumanisation against them.

“Ultimately we want to understand this process so we can do a better job at putting a human face to people who ride bikes, so that hopefully we can help put a stop to the abuse.”

Co-author of the paper CARRS-Q Centre Director Narelle Haworth said the study revealed that the problem of dehumanisation on the roads was not just a case of car driver versus cyclist.

“The bigger issue is that significant numbers of both groups rank cyclists as not 100 per cent human,” Professor Haworth said.

link to the actual paper (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1369847818308593?dgcid=author)

thwart
03-27-2019, 09:42 AM
None of this is too surprising, although one would think 'weekly cyclists' would be unlikely to do any aggressive action... although I suppose shouting at someone is not terribly aggressive, at least by comparison to some of the others listed.

I try my best to 'humanize' myself as much I can while on the bike. Friendly gestures, 'pardon me', 'thank you', etc.

MattTuck
03-27-2019, 09:48 AM
None of this is too surprising, although one would think 'weekly cyclists' would be unlikely to do any aggressive action... although I suppose shouting at someone is not terribly aggressive, at least by comparison to some of the others listed.

I try my best to 'humanize' myself as much I can while on the bike. Friendly gestures, 'pardon me', 'thank you', etc.

Also worth noting that the sample was Australians. :)

thwart
03-27-2019, 09:54 AM
Another thing to mention.

Stop (or at least slow to a crawl so you don't have to unclip) at stop signs... amazing how just cruising through them angers folks... especially non-cyclists.

soulspinner
03-27-2019, 05:55 PM
Another thing to mention.

Stop (or at least slow to a crawl so you don't have to unclip) at stop signs... amazing how just cruising through them angers folks... especially non-cyclists.

Not long ago I rolled up to a light. GUY pulls up and says ...how come you didn't blow the light? I said I obey the laws of the road in hopes it improves our relationship on the road. Thought the guy was going to nominate me for something...…......:rolleyes:

Irishgirl
03-27-2019, 06:09 PM
A town outside of Chicago will be targeting cyclists that don’t obey the rules of the road... forgot my favorite quote from the article

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190204/batavia-mayor-to-cyclists-halt-at-stop-signs-or-get-a-105-ticket

“And if they don't, they'd better have a wallet in their pocket -- or wherever they hide it," Salvati said

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikej
03-27-2019, 06:25 PM
A town outside of Chicago will be targeting cyclists that don’t obey the rules of the road...

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190204/batavia-mayor-to-cyclists-halt-at-stop-signs-or-get-a-105-ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, pretty civil comments actually