PDA

View Full Version : ebay question - Watchers on a BIN/Best Offer listing

NHAero
03-26-2019, 07:45 PM
I have three listings on ebay. all Buy It Now with Make Offer. What's to watch? Either it sells or it doesn't, it's not like one is watching an auction. Does anyone other than the seller get to see offers made and declined?

AngryScientist
03-26-2019, 07:48 PM
i watch things i'm thinking about buying just so i dont have to search for them again.

as a buyer you can see how many competing offers are on the table, but not their numeric values.

unterhausen
03-26-2019, 07:53 PM
I watch items when I want to sell the same item.
I always figured that's what a lot of the watchers were doing.

I have a large number of lathe tools on my watchlist right now. Mostly because I got tired of reverse engineering what insert fit in them. I should go back to that, there are a couple of tools I need and I don't want to pay full retail for them

prototoast
03-26-2019, 08:15 PM
I use "watch" primarily as "save, to consider in the future," with intention to buy ranging from virtually none, to probably.

Pegoready
03-26-2019, 08:27 PM
watchers get notified if you drop the price as well.

I do a lot of watching unfortunately. It's like an Amazon wish list.

kramnnim
03-26-2019, 08:30 PM
If you were to lower the BIN price, the watchers would be notified by eBay.

Also, at least some sellers have the ability to offer only the watchers a discounted price.

I watch items so they are easy to find when one of the ebay coupons show up.

glepore
03-27-2019, 06:47 AM
i watch things i'm thinking about buying just so i dont have to search for them again.

as a buyer you can see how many competing offers are on the table, but not their numeric values.

Ditto

unterhausen
03-27-2019, 07:28 AM
There is one set of Shimano dropouts I have been watching for a while. I keep thinking about buying them, but I don't really have a project for them. And I have some dropouts that would be a suitable substitute already in my parts bin, so I'm sure it doesn't make sense for me to buy them. Just looked, they have 29 watchers. I suppose it's the "going to build a frame someday" phenomenon

tbike4
03-27-2019, 07:57 AM
There is the entertainment factor. I was considering buying an 80's DeRosa on local CL but the guy wanted too much money. He moved away and I saw it on ebay. It's been on there for almost 4 years with 1 awful photo and local pick up only. I check it once in a while for laughs.

Red Tornado
03-27-2019, 08:07 AM

i use "watch" primarily as "save, to consider in the future," with intention to buy ranging from virtually none, to probably.

+1

ScottW
03-27-2019, 08:07 AM
Most of what's on my watch list are things I'm totally noncommittal about buying. I really need to give it a spring cleaning.

Some items I've watched only because they have ludicrously optimistic BIN prices and I want to see if there's a big enough idiot to pay it.

NHAero
03-27-2019, 08:33 AM
Another item I had up with the same format sold just before the 30 days ran out. I probably won't lower the price until that time runs out. People can make offers.

cdimattio
03-27-2019, 11:28 AM
I have three listings on ebay. all Buy It Now with Make Offer. What's to watch? Either it sells or it doesn't, it's not like one is watching an auction. Does anyone other than the seller get to see offers made and declined?

Aside from the concept of a wish list, I use the watch function to be ready for the inevitable eBay coupon.

While the coupon timing is not predictable, the eBay coupons can be generous and are typically valid only for a short period.