PDA

View Full Version : new Salsa Warroad pavement with a side of gravel

eddief
03-26-2019, 05:26 PM
curious why choose 71 degree headtube angle? Otherwise looks good and sounds well conceived:

https://salsacycles.com/culture/introducing_warroad
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/warroad/2019_warroad_carbon_ultegra_700

Ed-B
03-26-2019, 06:00 PM
The 71 degree head angle is typical on gravel bikes for stability descending.

While the Ultegra bike has 700C wheels with 30mm tires, the other bikes are 650x47B with Byways. To me, these bikes look to be more gravel oriented than pavement/road bikes. And I don't understand why they don't put RX800 clutch derailleurs on the Shimano bikes.

But, they are certainly nice bikes, nonetheless. We're fortunate to have so many choices with varying degrees of pavement-to-gravel functionality these days. If these bikes suit your intentions as they're designed and spec'd that's all that matters.

dancinkozmo
03-26-2019, 06:09 PM
https://theradavist.com/2019/03/imperfect-asphalt-riding-the-new-salsa-warroad-in-los-angeles/#1

shoota
03-27-2019, 07:32 AM
It all depends on where you live. my buddy and I were looking at these and our first thought was "Nope". There's absolutely no problem that this bike fixes. It's a Warbird with artificial limitations. We talked to our local shop and they won't be ordering any. That says a lot.

Jaybee
03-27-2019, 07:38 AM
It all depends on where you live. my buddy and I were looking at these and our first thought was "Nope". There's absolutely no problem that this bike fixes. It's a Warbird with artificial limitations. We talked to our local shop and they won't be ordering any. That says a lot.

I haven’t ridden a Warbird, but was anyone saying “this bike needs a different layup and slightly tighter geometry to perform better on pave.”?

I like the Warroad, but compared to the other players in this genre, it gets a nope from me as well. Even if I was a committed Salsa fan, I’d go Warbird and likely not notice any limitations on paved road rides.

shoota
03-27-2019, 08:17 AM
I haven’t ridden a Warbird, but was anyone saying “this bike needs a different layup and slightly tighter geometry to perform better on pave.”?

I like the Warroad, but compared to the other players in this genre, it gets a nope from me as well. Even if I was a committed Salsa fan, I’d go Warbird and likely not notice any limitations on paved road rides.

Yeah, that's not to say it's a bad bike by any means, it's just not intended to be a true gravel bike. (whatever that means anymore)

My other nit pick is the price. The top two models have full carbon forks but starting at the 105 model and down, they have alloy steerers. For $3400 I'd be expecting a full carbon fork. These bikes are really pricey for what they are.

sparky33
03-27-2019, 08:41 AM
piling on...thoughts:

War? again?

Also, slack head angle and old-guy stack/reach is not roadie enough to be interesting as a *road going bike.

Why not instead make a revamped Colossal: carbon, 32s or 28s with fenders, flat mount, 72.5+ head angle, etc?

I demo'd a Warbird. It was a great all road bike. It didn't need a little brother. Though with 7 gravel bikes in the line-up, what's one more?

mhespenheide
03-27-2019, 08:46 AM
I'm another who finds the 71-degree head tube angle (across the board, for every bike except the XXS) odd. Even if it's "endurance" road geometry, I'd expect the head tube to get steeper on taller bikes -- if it's meant to be a road bike.

Jaybee
03-27-2019, 08:53 AM
Yeah, that's not to say it's a bad bike by any means, it's just not intended to be a true gravel bike. (whatever that means anymore)

My other nit pick is the price. The top two models have full carbon forks but starting at the 105 model and down, they have alloy steerers. For $3400 I'd be expecting a full carbon fork. These bikes are really pricey for what they are.

I have found this to be true in general of Salsa in the last few years. For example, they want $4200 for a 2019 Horsethief that doesn't really differentiate itself on spec or geometry from a $3900 Fuel EX9. This makes me a little sad because I've really enjoyed all the bikes I've had from them, and it's quite a few.

I feel like they wanted to make the new carbon Colossal that sparky is describing above, then kinda chickened out about not having 650x47 compatibility at the end.

sparky33
03-27-2019, 09:02 AM
I feel like they wanted to make the new carbon Colossal that sparky is describing above, then kinda chickened out about not having 650x47 compatibility at the end.

This is like when someone specs their custom dream bike but keeps adding features to it that considerably dilute the main concept; bike design FOMO.

Jaybee
03-27-2019, 09:10 AM
OK, just for a positive comment...

I could see having this as a alternate go-fast g-road/pave bike to something like a Gorilla Monsoon with 27.5x2.3's for your wilder excursions.

sparky33
03-27-2019, 09:11 AM
the paint looks nice.

wheels are round.

NYCfixie
03-27-2019, 11:36 AM
the paint looks nice.

wheels are round.

Which one?

Looking at all versions...
- White seems boring (Tiagra)
- Blue seems like a maybe (105)
- Black/Graphics seems like a miss (Ultegra, Force)
- Black/Gold stripes look nice (Frameset)

But it is always up to personal style/choice

https://salsacycles.com/files/bikes/Salsa_Warroad_Carbon_Frameset_Upper-1-1920x1080.jpg

old fat man
03-27-2019, 02:14 PM
Is this meant to appeal to surly customers of years ago that now have money to afford carbon?

eippo1
03-27-2019, 03:24 PM
How do they really differentiate this from the journeyman? This can fit slightly wider tires? Gotta say my warbird is pretty good on the road, but then it's the Ti flavor.

fignon's barber
03-27-2019, 03:58 PM
"When it came to real-world testing, we put Warroad through its paces on everything from no-holds-barred Wednesday-night group road rides to hero gravel races like Almanzo. The verdict? It’s a quick bike that can go all day."

---This was the "verdict" in that ad piece. I don't know what kind of "no holds barred group road rides" they do, but that would not cut it on the rides I partake in. It looks like a nice off road bike, but on a Tuesday Night WC, you'd be at a severe disadvantage. My Orbea Terra is a similar bike, and it's great off road, but would never consider it for a fast road ride.

TheseGoTo11
03-29-2019, 11:12 AM
I often look at new bikes with small riders in mind (my wife is 5'). At first glance, I thought this looked good...I was pleased to see a bike with 650bx48 clearance that didn't have ridiculously long chainstays. But on closer inspection, the front end is still that of a bike designed around big 700c tires. Slack head tube, large fork offset...too bad. The reach in the 49cm size is longer than the Warbird.

Now, if you're in the middle of the size range and happen to like 650b wheels, I do think it's an attractive bike.