PDA

View Full Version : Just one of the reasons I like handbuilt frames

Kirk007
03-26-2019, 02:16 PM
On occasion, particularly in the framebuilders spotlight, our amazing colleagues treat us to an insiders look at the process. One of my favorites, David Kirk, has shared his work with us for years. Another favorite of mine, Tom Kellogg and Jeff Duser (Spectrum Cycles) have recently announced their retirement and closing of the books in July (the subject of a recent thread).

While looking at Tom's flickr site yesterday I discovered that I'd never looked at this album entitled steel frame build, start to finish. Great stuff - amazing to me all the steps, from hand construction of the lugs to the multiple steps of the paint process. Thought others might want to take a look:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjG4kKaA

cmbicycles
03-26-2019, 02:53 PM
Thats a fun album. No doubt helps get people thinking about getting in line.

Veloo
03-26-2019, 05:48 PM
LOVE IT!
Thanks for posting.

What's the threaded boss on the underside of the BB Shell for?

Blue Jays
03-26-2019, 06:48 PM
"...What's the threaded boss on the underside of the BB Shell for?..."
It is a nicely-chamfered drain that accepts a metal fitting to further prevent water from bouncing up the drain. Such excellent detail!

wallymann
03-26-2019, 07:42 PM
LOVE.

thx for sharing.

john903
03-26-2019, 07:46 PM
Thanks for posting that and yes there is something special about a custom made frame just for you. So this may be more of a frame builder question but I know Henry James fork crowns are only 1" so it looks like he is attaching a ring to build it up then turning it down. Do you think he is turning it down to accept a 1/1/8" head tube?
Enjoy your Hampsten you have and have a great day.

Clean39T
03-26-2019, 08:08 PM
Seriously swooning - that is awesome..

Any idea what the ETA is on yours?

Andy sti
03-26-2019, 08:21 PM
That Baller decal is....Baller!!!

bob heinatz
03-26-2019, 08:23 PM
I have reviewed their steel start to finish album at least a dozen times. They sure do know how to make a steel bike. Their type of craftsmanship and attention to detail is rare today and will be missed.

Veloo
03-26-2019, 08:29 PM
I've only seen non threaded drain holes in a BB.
Anyone have a pic of this splash guard fitting? I'm curious.

It is a nicely-chamfered drain that accepts a metal fitting to further prevent water from bouncing up the drain. Such excellent detail!

Jad
03-27-2019, 07:48 AM
Thanks for sharing--it's cool to see the mitering shots and the finished products' tight fit.

smontanaro
03-27-2019, 10:05 AM
Thanks for posting. As someone who is thinking about making a frame in retirement, I found it fascinating.

I am curious about something though. I haven't finished perusing the album (alas, not retired yet), but I see that for that frame he used a Henry James fork crown and apparently had Spectrum dropouts produced. Why handcraft the lugs? Why not have your own made (a la e-RICHIE) or rework some stock lugs? Is every Spectrum custom different in the lug department?

Kirk007
03-27-2019, 10:28 AM
Thanks for posting. As someone who is thinking about making a frame in retirement, I found it fascinating.

I am curious about something though. I haven't finished perusing the album (alas, not retired yet), but I see that for that frame he used a Henry James fork crown and apparently had Spectrum dropouts produced. Why handcraft the lugs? Why not have your own made (a la e-RICHIE) or rework some stock lugs? Is every Spectrum custom different in the lug department?

My guess, and it is just a guess: Tom frequently slopes top tubes etc and as I understand it, beyond some lugs that Llewllyn makes, there's not much stock out there. By making them for each frame, Jeff and Tom get the precise angle and fit that they want. His photo galleries do show variation in design but it also seems most are similar. I suspect I'll be learning more about this in the coming months.

Clean - no idea on eta, but I suspect it will break my vow of "no new frames in '19"

ShockTreatment
03-27-2019, 03:40 PM
Jeff and Tom built this for me in September 2013, and it just passed 25K miles. It's a fantastic handling, all-purpose bike, with room for 28mm tires (or 25mm with fenders). My recommendation is to get on Spectrum's wait list before it closes.

Blue Jays
03-27-2019, 04:03 PM
/\/\

Nice. Perfect pic of the internally-chamfered and threaded drain, too! :banana:

Clean39T
03-27-2019, 04:22 PM
What about the cables running through the shell? Looks like they wear into the metal over time? Do most folks use some sort of liner tubing there?

zennmotion
03-27-2019, 06:19 PM
What about the cables running through the shell? Looks like they wear into the metal over time? Do most folks use some sort of liner tubing there?

No. My Spectrum looks the same under the BB shell, the cables pass through those brazed-on tubes, there is no contact with the shell itself or paint wear. The lugs are individually made to allow Tom and Jeff with the ability to make the exact design that works for you, that's just how they do it. Tom's fit session was a major plus for me which was unexpected as I have always had a "near perfect" fit with most 56cm square stock frames, easy peasy. Or so I thought until I spent several hours with Tom observing me on a trainer, making tiny changes with dimensions and cockpit variables on a bike that I thought was already dialed in the way I've set up my bikes for decades. No laser tools, Coni charts, or cookbook "methods" were used, just Tom's decades of experience fitting world class athletes and punters. The fit session included hours of questions about riding preferences, how I like a bike to "feel", he checked for symmetry in flexibility, asked about future expectations. At the end I never knew a bike could feel so "right" and have the wheels in the perfect place to handle so well. Mine was built with a slight 1-2deg slope to the top tube that was only possible with custom lugs- he asked if a non-horizontal tube would bother my aesthetics, and of course I told him to design it anyway he thought best for fit and performance. I don't know what the precise angles are, or the tubing, the front end geometry or any of that, even though I geek out on that stuff all the time. Doesn't matter, it fits and rides perfectly. Magic.

smontanaro
03-27-2019, 06:22 PM
My guess, and it is just a guess: Tom frequently slopes top tubes etc and as I understand it, beyond some lugs that Llewllyn makes, there's not much stock out there.

That makes sense. Not having anything but traditional steel bikes with horizontal top tubes, that didn't occur to me. Personal blind spot, I guess.

zennmotion
03-27-2019, 06:37 PM
Thanks for posting that and yes there is something special about a custom made frame just for you. So this may be more of a frame builder question but I know Henry James fork crowns are only 1" so it looks like he is attaching a ring to build it up then turning it down. Do you think he is turning it down to accept a 1/1/8" head tube?
Enjoy your Hampsten you have and have a great day.

Tom's head tubes with his modern non-vintage frames are normally 1 1/8". He specs a light head tube and fork steerer that doesn't weigh any more than a traditional 1". He frequently uses Henry James crowns (dunno whether he has to modify them or not) but not always- my crown is a different model spaced for more clearance. HJs are pretty for road bikes up to 28mm though!

zennmotion
03-27-2019, 06:47 PM

No. My Spectrum looks the same under the BB shell, the cables pass through those brazed-on tubes, there is no contact with the shell itself or paint wear. The lugs are individually made to allow Tom and Jeff with the ability to make the exact design that works for you, that's just how they do it. Tom's fit session was a major plus for me which was unexpected as I have always had a "near perfect" fit with most 56cm square frames. Or so I thought until I spent several hours with Tom observing me on a trainer, making tiny changes with dimensions and cockpit variables on a bike that I thought was already dialed in the way I've set up my bikes for decades. No laser tools, Coni charts, or cookbook "methods" were used, just Tom's decades of experience fitting world class athletes and punters. The fit session included hours of questions about riding preferences, how I like a bike to "feel", he checked for symmetry in flexibility, asked about future expectations. At the end I never knew a bike could feel so "right" and have the wheels in the perfect place to handle so well. Mine was built with a slight 1-2deg slope to the top tube- he asked if a non-horizontal tube would bother my aesthetics, and of course I told him to design it anyway he thought best for fit and performance. I don't know what the precise angles are, or the tubing, the front end geometry or any of that, even though I geek out on that stuff all the time. Doesn't matter, it fits and rides perfectly. Magic.

bironi
03-27-2019, 07:40 PM
If I were younger, Spectrum would be in my first two pics.
I can't say what would sway me.
Both are long standing custom builders.
I have never heard anything but positive feedback from buyers.
The other is Della Santa.
And the same is true with his brand.

Enjoy your ride when it arrives.
And for many years.

I'm out of the market.
What I have is better than the body I inhabit.

bitpuddle
03-27-2019, 09:26 PM
Fantastic album. I’m going to reply with this link when people complain about the price of a frame because “steel tubes only cost a few hundred dollars.”

flying
03-27-2019, 10:50 PM
That was a great album & I now have it bookmarked.
Thank You! ;)

Mark McM
03-28-2019, 11:30 AM

I've a got a steel bike with brazed on cable guides on under the shell that has seen probably 50,000 miles and close to a million shifts. The cables may have worn the guides grooves a few thousandths of an inch deeper, but there's no change in function.

I've also got a few bikes with plastic guides screwed in the shell, and these also haven't been appreciably worn in a few 10,000s of miles.