PDA

View Full Version : Paceline smokers, come out of the closet!

tsarpepe
03-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Who's a smoker around here? How long? How much?

https://i0.wp.com/bikenoob.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/cippolinismoking1.jpg?ssl=1

Veloo
03-25-2019, 01:16 PM
HA! Not me but I was wondering this very same thing a few days ago.

dancinkozmo
03-25-2019, 01:30 PM
does weed count ?

pdonk
03-25-2019, 01:30 PM
Does brisket count?

dddd
03-25-2019, 01:53 PM
does weed count ?

Obviously a LOT more cyclists smoke weed than tobacco.

It's the cage drivers I'm worried about though, for cyclist's safety.

ghammer
03-25-2019, 01:57 PM
does weed count ?

ditto

redir
03-25-2019, 01:58 PM
When I was 18-19 years old I smoked for about one year. This was circa 1988-89 or so. I used to ride a track bike back then and I'd go out for a nice long ride come home and light up a cig. One day I thought to myself *** am I doing? I ended up quitting. It was not too hard after only one year but I felt the addiction. After two weeks cold turkey I lit up a cig and I guess now I know what it's like to shoot heroin because it felt like nothing ever in my life. I still very clearly remember that day. BUt that was it. After that in college maybe once in a great while i'd bum a smoke but I never got into it again.

I do like a cigar maybe once a year though. And till this day when someone walks by smoking I like the smell of it.

redir
03-25-2019, 01:59 PM
does weed count ?

Smoking *anything is bad for you, why not just eat it if you must?

Joxster
03-25-2019, 02:04 PM
The odd cigar has been taken, not as often these days as the smoking Police will get you even if you think about sparking up.

makoti
03-25-2019, 02:08 PM
Does brisket count?

Double

XXtwindad
03-25-2019, 02:12 PM
Well, you have an ally in Joe Jackson:

https://www.spiked-online.com/2010/07/20/a-dozen-reasons-to-stub-out-the-smoking-ban/#.UoKxf2TwKe6

Personally, I think nicotine is foul. But, given that this is a bike forum, it took some guts to post this, so kudos on that front.

buddybikes
03-25-2019, 02:13 PM
>>The odd cigar has been taken, not as often these days as the smoking Police will get you even if you think about sparking up.

Don't get me on that one, our daughter is massively allergic to smoke, totally disabling migraines. Enjoy your sparking up in your house.

C40_guy
03-25-2019, 02:17 PM
It's okay to smoke the competition!

Gummee
03-25-2019, 02:52 PM
I was hoping this was another cooking thread

Aaah well.

I don't like smoking anything. Not even weed. I'm slow enough as it is and don't want to impact lung function

M

tsarpepe
03-25-2019, 02:57 PM
I should have probably come clean from the start: I smoke a few per day, although I haven't done it on the bike yet.

AngryScientist
03-25-2019, 03:36 PM
i'll smoke a handful of good cigars/year.

there's nothing better than a crisp fall evening, sitting around the fire pit with a good glass of scotch and a nice easy smoking cigar to really relax the night away.

bcroslin
03-25-2019, 03:52 PM
brisket and bong rips, this could be the best PL thread ever :banana:

FlashUNC
03-25-2019, 03:57 PM
Just the usual, you know, meth.

el cheapo
03-25-2019, 04:19 PM
Back in 2002 I did an organized 100k ride and hammered the entire way with another rider I didn't know. At the finish, we were recovering and this guy reaches for a pack of cigarettes and said he needed a smoke. I nearly fell over!

pinkshogun
03-25-2019, 04:24 PM
I only smoke when I'm on fire

Seramount
03-25-2019, 04:29 PM
smoking tobacco is a vile habit.

just sayin'...

djg21
03-25-2019, 04:57 PM
i'll smoke a handful of good cigars/year.

there's nothing better than a crisp fall evening, sitting around the fire pit with a good glass of scotch and a nice easy smoking cigar to really relax the night away.

Same here. I buy fairly expensive ones so I can’t afford to make it a habit. Maybe one every week or so. Fuente Hemingway Maduro is my go to.

Louis
03-25-2019, 04:57 PM

just sayin'...

Followed by chewing it as a close second (in terms of grossness).

fiamme red
03-25-2019, 05:04 PM
http://i.imgur.com/10UHb.jpg

https://external-preview.redd.it/iAdMd12n8gP9d4l9lBsXa8wD-5ofpoZWXzUcoKDQcO8.jpg?width=500&auto=webp&949090cc

unterhausen
03-25-2019, 05:14 PM
When I was a teenager, I was walking around waiting for my race to start and there was John Howard off sitting by himself at a picnic table smoking. I think he told me he only smoked a few a day. IIRC, Bobby Phillips beat him that day.

Second hand smoke gives me an asthma attack these days, I used to smoke the occasional cigar

biker72
03-25-2019, 05:55 PM
I smoked from age 18-28. Started when I was in the Navy in 1956. Almost everybody smoked then. The non-smoking section was outside in the rain..:)
Of course real men smoked the straight cigarettes. No filters.

I decided one day to quit. Never smoked since nor do I have any desire to smoke anything.

CunegoFan
03-25-2019, 06:04 PM
People still smoke? I was thinking about this the other day and was a bit suprised when I thought about my last three jobs, with departments of thirty to a hundred people, and I don't think a single person smoked. I could be wrong. Some of them might have gone home and chain smoked a pack. But at work, nuthin'.

Matthew
03-25-2019, 06:11 PM
As an athlete, even a slow one I don't know why anyone would smoke. I know, weed is the greatest thing since the wheel apparently, but I just don't get it. It smells like s#%t and it's still smoke in your lungs. I get the medicinal properties, just not the smoking part.

Gsinill
03-25-2019, 06:43 PM
Followed by chewing it as a close second (in terms of grossness).

Reverse order IMHO (and I never did either).

R3awak3n
03-25-2019, 07:00 PM
I think I smoked from 18 till I was 27 or 28 and have not smoked for 7 years. Terrible habit, now I can't even smell it and it makes me sick. My wife also smoked and she has quit for a few years now. Most of my friends have as well. I feel like, compared to a say 10 years ago, a lot less people smoke so that is a good thing.

Louis
03-25-2019, 07:02 PM
Reverse order IMHO (and I never did either).

Only "benefit" of chewing is that others don't have to inhale or otherwise ingest your waste products. But yes, it's also a gross habit.

charliedid
03-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Years ago.

I was rather good at it.

So gross.

pbarry
03-25-2019, 07:30 PM

schwa86
03-25-2019, 07:57 PM
I think we're likely to get a huge wave of new smokers. The juuling trends among teens are through the roof -- hard to see how this does not convert to next generation smokers. Really depressing.

Louis
03-25-2019, 08:00 PM
I think we're likely to get a huge wave of new smokers. The juuling trends among teens are through the roof -- hard to see how this does not convert to next generation smokers. Really depressing.

Maybe I'm just a cranky old guy who doesn't hang in the right hip circles, but I have yet to even see someone vaping in person.

pbarry
03-25-2019, 08:06 PM
Yes; Yes; You must not get out much..
;) :beer:

Shoeman
03-25-2019, 08:12 PM
Smoked for far to long (45 yrs quit in 2012)with major health problems. I was hooked as I had a major stress job, ADHD etc. I ended up with a major Heart Attack 2001 lost half of the left ventrical, Bladder Cancer 2017 & lost bladder in 2018. I almost died in January with a bowel obstruction lost 50cm of small intestine & colon. It was related to adhesions caused by the Bladder surgery. I was finally able to ride the other day, with my friends Urostomy Bag & Defibrillator the first time since November. I enjoy being on a Bicycle & I will continue to ride until I can't. When I look back now knowing what I know now I wouldn't have started. But alas it is too late now as the Horse is out of the Barn.

joosttx
03-25-2019, 08:21 PM
My roommate from college smoked. He is an excellent cross and mtb racer in the masters st louis scene.

https://vimeo.com/121318412

tsarpepe
03-25-2019, 08:53 PM
Smoked for far to long (45 yrs quit in 2012)with major health problems. I was hooked as I had a major stress job, ADHD etc. I ended up with a major Heart Attack 2001 lost half of the left ventrical, Bladder Cancer 2017 & lost bladder in 2018. I almost died in January with a bowel obstruction lost 50cm of small intestine & colon. It was related to adhesions caused by the Bladder surgery. I was finally able to ride the other day, with my friends Urostomy Bag & Defibrillator the first time since November. I enjoy being on a Bicycle & I will continue to ride until I can't. When I look back now knowing what I know now I wouldn't have started. But alas it is too late now as the Horse is out of the Barn.

Thanks for sharing, Shoeman.

XXtwindad
03-25-2019, 08:59 PM
Thanks for sharing, Shoeman.

Ditto.

AngryScientist
03-25-2019, 09:30 PM
Maybe I'm just a cranky old guy who doesn't hang in the right hip circles, but I have yet to even see someone vaping in person.

that is amazing. it is everywhere from my perspective.

d_douglas
03-25-2019, 09:44 PM
My friend refers to vapes as ‘douche-flutes’ - aptly named because her ex-husband would try to hide his vaping from their sons while being proud that he wasn’t smoking.

Not sure which is worse - caping is too new to understand the health impacts over the long term, but it’s clealy baaaaad for you.

Louis
03-25-2019, 09:57 PM
I often listen to sports on ESPN radio. It really bothers me that Juul advertises so much.

They make it sound as if it's a good thing, because you can substitute it for smoking, but you have to wonder if it won't instead be a gateway drug.

Louis
03-25-2019, 10:10 PM
Yes; Yes; You must not get out much..
;) :beer:

I'm sure if I went down to the U-City loop (place where college kids hang out, near Wash U) I'd see it within 30 seconds. I just haven't been down there much since the vaping craze started.

KidWok
03-25-2019, 11:53 PM
What does Sean Connery call a group of young men vaping?

Ashless Chaps.

Tai

laupsi
03-26-2019, 03:30 AM
so a one off from original topic/post, but recently, say the past 1.5/2 years, I have been in the presence of the distinctive odor of marijuana while out on rides. this aromatic detection has occurred in many places too; in city, in county, on back country roads. from my cycling perspective, I'd say smoking pot has really gained traction and is more than likely headed for national legalization.

as for full disclosure, no, I haven't smoked any since college and honestly could never stomach the smell of tobacco and therefore have never smoked cigarettes.

Duende
03-26-2019, 04:08 AM
I smoke. Just a few cigarettes a day. Sometimes none, sometimes more. Never was a pack a day person, but definitely have consistently smoked my entire life besides taking a few years off here and there.

Easy to judge.... but the world is made up of all types of life’s and all types of people.

Hardest part about cycling is the post ride hacking that happens sometimes.

My plan is to ease out of it again soon. And enjoy just the post gig celebratory cigarette once in a while. But even that has to stop as well

zambenini
03-26-2019, 04:47 AM
I have an enormous nose, so I think I am good at smelling stuff, but I'm shocked at the number of times I'm riding and I smell weed when a car rolls by. I'm like, uh, dudes and dudettes, I can tell you're toking and driving. That is v. v. bad & a bad sign for the car culture... whatever is going to happen with legalization needs to happen after we can fix the intoxication/car culture problem & after everyone who is poor or a racial minority and is in jail for weed-related crimes has been pardoned and released... it's just too gross to see rich people cavorting with weed when poor people do the same thing and it ruins their lives.

On topic, I bum a cowboy-killer once in a while. Have enjoyed every single one I've ever smoked, never once enjoyed a cigar. Blech. Tobacco is obviously very very bad and no one should ever do it though.

unterhausen
03-26-2019, 04:54 AM
Maybe I'm just a cranky old guy who doesn't hang in the right hip circles, but I have yet to even see someone vaping in person.I don't really see it that much. I was out riding my mtb when some people came out of the woods, lost. I was trying to explain how to get back to their car when one of them whips out a vape pen and smokes some weed. It was getting dark, and it was going to get cold overnight, so being stoned in their condition was not wise.

I have noticed a lot of cigarette smoke recently. That seemed to have faded as people became aware of how much it was hurting them. Or maybe I'm just more sensitive to it now that I realize how badly it affects me. I certainly wish those people were vaping instead. I wonder how many people switched to cigarettes after the recent vaping-related fatality

El Chaba
03-26-2019, 05:28 AM
Cigarette smoke has always really bothered me....It makes me gag and gives me a headache after a while. I am so thankful for non-smoking restaurants and other public areas. I well remember the days when it was acceptable to just smoke anywhere and foul the air for everybody in the immediate area. My father smoked....ended up with emphysema and died of lung cancer. If you are detecting some hostility toward the activity from me, you are right. I despise everything about tobacco....

AngryScientist
03-26-2019, 05:39 AM
I am so thankful for non-smoking restaurants and other public areas. .

yes, thank goodness common sense prevailed on that one.

i remember well my early 20's before indoor smoking was banned anywhere, and i used to spend hours in sleazy bars filled with dense cigarette smoke. i used to get home at wee hours of the morning and remember stripping off my clothes on the porch and leaving them outside my apartment before jumping into the shower, because everything wreaked of smoke after lingering in that environment for hours.

these days, the thought of trying to eat a meal in a closed indoor area with smokers makes me nauseous. we definitely made a leap forward in public health by widely banning smoking in public places, especially indoor public places.

oldpotatoe
03-26-2019, 06:07 AM

just sayin'...

Agree plus a LOT..disgusting, stinky, dangerous, deadly..

Ralph
03-26-2019, 06:25 AM

Ha...A solution for social security. Fewer people living to collect, and those that collect dying sooner.

Nooch
03-26-2019, 06:55 AM
I was a pack a day smoker for around 12 years -- started in middle school, for no real reason, up until my mid 20's. Have not had the desire once since giving it up, until this past weekend at a wedding, where I apparently found my "oh, someone's smoking, let me do that" level of drunk.

I will partake in in semi-regular marijuana, however I use a dry-herb vaporizer -- whether it's better or not, I have no idea, but it's easier on the lungs as far as I'm concerned. It's something I'll do at the end of a long day, out the bilco doors in the basement, rather than drinking, to 'take the edge off.'

zap
03-26-2019, 07:30 AM
Only second hand.

oldpotatoe
03-26-2019, 07:58 AM

Thanks for sharing and good luck to you sir...my sore toe really, really seems inconsequential now..if you can ride, so can I..

dave thompson
03-26-2019, 08:05 AM
I quit cigarettes over 40 years ago. Living in Mexico where Cuban cigars are inexpensive and common. So why not?

ScottW
03-26-2019, 08:12 AM

I mostly notice it when I'm sitting in traffic. Occasionally a cloud will emanate from a beat up Corolla or Altima, but your best shot is to look for the bros in their lifted diesel pickups rollin coal. Odds are about 50/50 the driver is a vape chimney.

benb
03-26-2019, 08:31 AM
That's funny about smelling stuff when riding, I have a strong sense of smell too. I notice a LOT of cars smelling like weed when I'm riding. I will know if you're puffing a cigar in the car or cigarette too, and I can walk through a parking lot or ride up past a bunch of stopped cars in traffic and identify which cars have coolant leaks. Coolant smells drive me nuts actually. I had a motorcycle which developed a infinitesimally slow coolant leak. It'd have taken years for the coolant to drop enough to overheat. The shops all said it was so expensive to fix it that it wasn't worth it. I finally fixed it myself, probably took me 10 hours due to the design of the bike. Just couldn't stand smelling it all the time!

You want to know who still smokes a lot. Bank employees. I work in an office park near several large TD bank buildings. There are close to 500 employees in the company I work for in our building, along with quite a few other small companies. If you walk out of our building 75% of the time you won't see anyone smoking. Once in a while you see 1-2 people smoking, mostly employees of the restaurant on the first floor.

Walk across the parking lot to the FAA... no one to be seen smoking. Homeland security/ICE is next door as well, lots and lots of police officers. Keep walking over to TD Bank. 10-20, maybe even 30 people outside all day long smoking. All day long.

The weird thing about vaping is you see people trying to be very covert about it, they're trying to "palm" the device and hide it while they smoke. It's really weird. Smokers at least owned the fact that they were smoking. The only time I see Vapers not hiding it is when they are driving the car, then they're using one of those mega-dose devices and pretending they are puff the magic dragon blowing the biggest puff of smoke out the window they can, way bigger than you could ever puff off a cigarette.

Pretty much nothing for me. Smoked a cigarette once in college and didn't care for it. Tried weed a few times too. I can understand weed but not cigarettes, but I am not convinced weed is safe for lungs. I know everyone really wants it to be safe but my guess is research will show that there is really nothing you can burn and inhale the smoke that isn't harmful once it is legal to actually study weed. I drink a very small amount, it's not like I think alcohol is great either.

nooneline
03-26-2019, 08:56 AM
My friend refers to vapes as ‘douche-flutes’ - aptly named because her ex-husband would try to hide his vaping from their sons while being proud that he wasn’t smoking.

Not sure which is worse - caping is too new to understand the health impacts over the long term, but it’s clealy baaaaad for you.

It's a great way to get smokers to quit, but it's also a great way to get people who wouldn't consider smoking to start buying stuff from tobacco companies.

So the companies tell regulators that it's the former, while basing their strategy and marketing around the latter.

A dangerous combination.

Mzilliox
03-26-2019, 09:15 AM
We have all kinds of the vapebros here. Gross too. They have these incredibly disgusting flavors like bananas and buttered popcorn. I think it depends where you live. 10 mins in my town and will will see a straight bill ball cap leaking huge clouds of vapor.
Hospital employyes smoke a lot too. How bout that?
Weed for me. Eating it does nothing, metabolism n such. Smoking quiets the demons.

oldpotatoe
03-26-2019, 09:25 AM
Son does tobacco code/law enforcement in Denver..YUGE problem with underage e-cigs/vaping. 'Probably' going to be over 21 in about a month in Denver..going to make things 'interesting'..for Denver and my kid..he's REALLY busy and successful busting places for selling under 18 now. Only section of Denver code enforcement that 'pays' for itself.

makoti
03-26-2019, 09:33 AM
This thread reminds me of work. I work with nurses & Dr's who smoke. It's hard to understand how healthcare pros can do that, but not as hard as the Respiratory Therapist who smokes. He sees the effects of smoking EVERY SINGLE DAY, intubating pt's who can't breath on their own, and yet... always smells like an ashtray. How do you do that?

FlashUNC
03-26-2019, 09:36 AM
This thread reminds me of work. I work with nurses & Dr's who smoke. It's hard to understand how healthcare pros can do that, but not as hard as the Respiratory Therapist who smokes. He sees the effects of smoking EVERY SINGLE DAY, intubating pt's who can't breath on their own, and yet... always smells like an ashtray. How do you do that?

As Whitman said, we contain multitudes.

Shoeman
03-26-2019, 09:55 AM

Nicotine helps you focus and relieves the stress in a stressful occupation. Not to mention it is one of the most addictive drugs known to man. Once you are Hooked you are really Hooked.

papa bless
03-26-2019, 12:15 PM
I have to admit, after a particularly tough ride, nothing really hits the spot like a fat wad of Copenhagen. I know it's absolutely gross for everyone around me, but a Miller light and a dip are the perfect post race recovery.

Duende
03-26-2019, 03:40 PM
I have to admit, after a particularly tough ride, nothing really hits the spot like a fat wad of Copenhagen. I know it's absolutely gross for everyone around me, but a Miller light and a dip are the perfect post race recovery.

Ha!

Growing up in the Southwest it was either Copenhagen or skoal in junior high... then Winston or Marlboros in high school.

zambenini
03-26-2019, 03:59 PM
As Whitman said, we contain multitudes.Post of the day.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

2metalhips
03-26-2019, 05:00 PM

It wasn't that long ago that doctors would prescribe and advertise smoking.

tsarpepe
03-26-2019, 05:24 PM
I grew up in a country in which it was customary for pretty much all doctors to smoke; and they did so in the hospital building; no, not in a designated area, but right in offices and examination rooms.

pdmtong
03-26-2019, 05:50 PM
My FIL died from a massive smoking-induced cardiac.

Of course we told him he should quit. he wanted to quit. He knew it was bad. and he couldn't quit.

Addiiction...thats the nasty vile habit.

Stop smoking. Lose weight. Exercise.

Simple to say, but for many it is very hard/impossible to do.

buddybikes
03-26-2019, 07:49 PM
My brother is a respitory therapist. His wife, son, and 2 son in-laws smoke. I can't logically understand how he accepts it, but this come from my immediate family who in case of my daughter is severly allergic/migraines with just the smell on people's clothes. She hasn't seen my brother's family in probably 10 years.

Agree, Juul's and such are hooking the next generation. Could this be controlled better, I think so, but then again I am a flaming liberal so keep my mouth shut here.

Louis
03-26-2019, 08:00 PM
Could this be controlled better, I think so,

Nah.

Let's wait 25 years until all the negative consequences are incredibly, painfully, obvious, followed by 10 more years of legal battles, then perhaps something might be done about it.

benb
03-27-2019, 07:52 AM
I kind of think this is the same thing as anti-vaccine.

No younger people today remember seeing their relatives killed & maimed by vaccine preventable diseases, so easy to brush off those diseases and worry about a bogeyman instead.

Likewise with so many fewer tobacco smokers less younger people have seen a relative die horribly.

My grandfather died absolutely horribly from lung cancer which metastasized into brain cancer. I'm old enough to remember. My grandfather was not the only one in the family. My youngest brother is not, my son is definitely not. Because basically no one smokes in the extended family anymore In 7-10 years when my son is entering his teen years he will not have any memory of anyone close to him dying from smoking related illness.. it will not be the same as it was for me at all if he's encountering peer pressure.

We have the same scenario with alcohol in my family. I grew up seeing severe affects of alcoholism in my extended family including numerous relatives dying very early... practically every time I even see a drink all that stuff comes back. But that's all ancient history now and my son will not think about any of that at all when he's entering impressionable high school/college years.

buddybikes
03-27-2019, 08:06 AM
If smokers who are in nursing/care facilities or even out in public could talk with middle schoolers it may make some impact. There have been some public service ads done, but personalize it, may save a kid or two.

This was done years ago with group I was involved with

Red Tornado
03-27-2019, 08:22 AM
I am an asthma sufferer, so don't smoke. Wouldn't want to anyway for most of the same reason other non-smokers eschew the habit.

My oldest son also has asthma. When he was in the hospital a few times for acute asthma attacks, when he was little, I noticed all the respiratory therapists who worked with him were smokers.

Back in the 90's we were staging for a MTB race. Guys rolls up on what was probably one of the most expensive bikes in the 30-39 Sport class. Pulls a cig & lighter out of his jersey pocket, lights up & throws the lighter to his (presumed) gf. The guy finished that thing in what seemed like less than a minute. Flicks it off to the side, into the very dry brush (late summer) and looks at all of us like "what's the problem?". The other riders were speechless.

XXtwindad
03-27-2019, 08:55 AM

No younger people today remember seeing their relatives killed & maimed by vaccine preventable diseases, so easy to brush off those diseases and worry about a bogeyman instead.

Likewise with so many fewer tobacco smokers less younger people have seen a relative die horribly.

My grandfather died absolutely horribly from lung cancer which metastasized into brain cancer. I'm old enough to remember. My grandfather was not the only one in the family. My youngest brother is not, my son is definitely not. Because basically no one smokes in the extended family anymore In 7-10 years when my son is entering his teen years he will not have any memory of anyone close to him dying from smoking related illness.. it will not be the same as it was for me at all if he's encountering peer pressure.

We have the same scenario with alcohol in my family. I grew up seeing severe affects of alcoholism in my extended family including numerous relatives dying very early... practically every time I even see a drink all that stuff comes back. But that's all ancient history now and my son will not think about any of that at all when he's entering impressionable high school/college years.

Nice post. Thoughtful response, as per usual.

John H.
03-27-2019, 09:06 AM
When I worked in bicycle retail I was surprised by just how many bike fans were smokers.
It seemed like a lot of the hobby bike mechanics smoked. The kind of person who has more fun building bikes than riding bikes.

Bob Loblaw
03-27-2019, 09:45 AM
My mom smoked. In the car, in the house. I had asthma, and I have horrible memories of being trapped in a box with her with the windows rolled up except hers. “Why are you complaining? The smoke is all going out the window.”

I came out of it with asthma, and was scrawny and unhealthy until my mid twenties. Thanks mom.

I’m now very anti. I have such an emotional reaction to smoking I can’t have a rational discussion about it, refuse to associate with people who do it, etc.

OperaLover
03-27-2019, 09:55 AM
When I lived in Japan in the mid-80s, plenty of people (mostly men) smoked. My cycling club, the vast majority of which did not smoke, had a hard core of middle aged men, including a number of ex-Keirin pros and the president of 3Rensho bicycles, who smoked before and after the club ride. They all knew it was bad, but at the same time claimed it opened up the lungs. I think they also enjoyed the endorphin/nicotine cocktail at the end of each ride. They may have been hacking at the end, but all of them lit up!

Jaybee
03-27-2019, 09:56 AM
There's a big cultural component here too. I rarely see tobacco smokers here in the Denver metro. (Plenty of vape pens and pot odor, as mentioned above).

Just spent a week in Espana, and smoking is everywhere that's not indoors. Even have those vending machines, which I hadn't seen in the US in ages.

AngryScientist
03-27-2019, 11:36 AM
the other thing is it just destroys stuff.

i'm in the market for a used truck, and i went and looked at a Jeep a few weeks ago that would have been otherwise perfect, until i sat in it. the car smelled of smoke so bad i thought i was going to get lung cancer if i test drove it. windows all had a haze on the interior, and the once really nice leather seats had several burn holes.

seller told me he "cleaned the interior good" and it "didnt smell of smoke" any longer.

i could never buy such a disgusting car, and it's too bad, because it was a nice truck with good engine and all the features i wanted, but i'd never be able to get over the smoke funk inside.

Jaybee
03-27-2019, 11:37 AM

i'm in the market for a used truck, and i went and looked at a Jeep a few weeks ago that would have been otherwise perfect, until i sat in it. the car smelled of smoke so bad i thought i was going to get lung cancer if i test drove it. windows all had a haze on the interior, and the once really nice leather seats had several burn holes.

seller told me he "cleaned the interior good" and it "didnt smell of smoke" any longer.

i could never buy such a disgusting car, and it's too bad, because it was a nice truck with good engine and all the features i wanted, but i'd never be able to get over the smoke funk inside.

An old college friend who smoked also claimed this all the time - I guess smokers just can't smell smoke after a while.

AngryScientist
03-27-2019, 11:43 AM
An old college friend who smoked also claimed this all the time - I guess smokers just can't smell smoke after a while.

i guess. this guy was selling his old truck, and had pulled up to meet me at his house in his brand new grand cherokee hemi limited. that's probably a 55k dollar truck he is going to trash the interior of. what a waste.

hellvetica
03-27-2019, 11:43 AM
Smoked in my early Late teens through 20's (for about 7 years?). It grosses me out now, and I occasionally have a vivid dream/nightmare that I started smoking again.

420 though. That's my "cigar and scotch" relaxing hour.

benb
03-27-2019, 12:11 PM

Having seen inside of computers & such that belonged to smokers the issue here is all the HVAC ductwork in that truck was completely covered in a film of nicotine & tar that will keep making the truck smell for it's lifetime.

The smoke gets into everything and deposits residue everywhere... same thing in houses and such, coats the drywall, yellows the paint, gets in the HVAC ducts, you name it.

redir
03-27-2019, 12:42 PM

It's like when you watch those old movies. In practically every scene they have a drink in one hand and a smoke in the other. My mother came from a large Irish Catholic family, she was one of 11 kids. The Christmas parties in the 70's and 80's were awesome but good lord the smoke was terrible. They all smoked inside the house. But slowly but surly they all started to quit over time. BUt the ones that didn't died in their 60's.

Seramount
03-27-2019, 12:46 PM
My mom smoked. In the car, in the house. I had asthma, and I have horrible memories of being trapped in a box with her with the windows rolled up except hers. “Why are you complaining? The smoke is all going out the window.”

I came out of it with asthma, and was scrawny and unhealthy until my mid twenties. Thanks mom.

I’m now very anti. I have such an emotional reaction to smoking I can’t have a rational discussion about it, refuse to associate with people who do it, etc.

I hear ya...my dad was a 4-pack/day smoker (consuming 80 cigs in 12 hrs takes some serious dedication)...he'd literally light the next one with one he was getting ready to toss ('cause butts aren't litter, ya know).

one of my most vivid childhood memories is of him walking around the house with a miniature cast iron skillet ashtray, puffing away, leaving a plume of noxious stench.

since both of his kids were severe asthmatics, my mom eventually had to give him an ultimatum...your cigs or your family, choose one.

since he started smoking at age 11, he was severely addicted but made her a promise that he'd quit after he finished the carton of Winstons he'd just bought.

to his credit, he went cold turkey and kicked the habit. he was a surly SOB for quite a while and gained almost 100 lbs as he replaced cigs with food.

like you, I'm a rabid anti and have zero friends who smoke.

biker72
03-27-2019, 01:46 PM
to his credit, he went cold turkey and kicked the habit. he was a surly SOB for quite a while and gained almost 100 lbs as he replaced cigs with food.

I gained 50 pounds and was very hard to live with for over a month. I don't know how my wife and kids put up with me.

William
03-27-2019, 01:49 PM
I never smoked cigs, couldn't stand the smell. Our Mom did up until I was in fourth or fifth grade and then I started hounding her to quit. Taking her packs and putting pin holes in them or painting the filter ends with her finger nail polish. She finally had enough of the harassment and quit.

:banana:

William

tsarpepe
03-27-2019, 02:02 PM
I never smoked cigs, couldn't stand the smell. Our Mom did up until I was in fourth or fifth grade and then I started hounding her to quit. Taking her packs and putting pin holes in them or painting the filter ends with her finger nail polish. She finally had enough of the harassment and quit.

William

That's a good one!

Mr. Pink
03-27-2019, 09:25 PM
Just got back from the French Alps skiing. Really got irritated at the smoking. I've spent time in Italy and Spain recently, but this was by far the most smoking I've encountered in public for years. Not a ton up in the mountains, although some people were lighting up next to me on a lift, and the apre ski bars were impossible to be near on the outside ( no interior smoking, thank god), but, when I spent a few days down in Lyon at the end, on a beautiful 60-65 degree weekend, it was impossible to enjoy an outside dining and/or drinking experience due to the smoke. And that town has awesome food and wine. I really appreciate the laws enacted here in my lifetime to make my world smoke free, and I smoked for 16 years.

Fiertetimestwo
03-28-2019, 12:50 AM
Having seen inside of computers & such that belonged to smokers the issue here is all the HVAC ductwork in that truck was completely covered in a film of nicotine & tar that will keep making the truck smell for it's lifetime.

The smoke gets into everything and deposits residue everywhere... same thing in houses and such, coats the drywall, yellows the paint, gets in the HVAC ducts, you name it.

I'm old enough to remember when smoking was allowed on planes and you'd be asked whether you wanted your seat in the smoking section or the non-smoking section, as if that was going to make a blind bit of difference.Thank goodness those days are over.

I also remember reading somewhere that the key driver for the airlines eventually adopting a non smoking policy was not because of any health related concern, but it was because they realised they could save heaps of money on cleaning expenses if no-one was able to smoke on board.

Bob Ross
03-28-2019, 04:44 AM
Not a smoker. Other than that summer when I was 8 years old and my friend Bruce and I used to shoplift cigarettes from the Giant Eagle grocery store and then hide inside the sewer pipe down by the park to smoke them, I never saw the appeal or felt tempted to imbibe.

But I'm currently reading Tom Robbins' novel Still Life With Woodpecker and he writes this wonderful paragraph:

"Three of the four elements are shared by all creatures, but fire was a gift to humans alone. Smoking cigarettes is as intimate as we can become with fire without immediate excruciation. Every smoker is an embodiment of Prometheus, stealing fire from the gods and bringing it on back home. We smoke to capture the power of the sun, to pacify Hell, to identify with the primordial spark, to feed on the marrow of the volcano. It's not the tobacco we're after but the fire."

William
03-28-2019, 06:01 AM
But I'm currently reading Tom Robbins' novel Still Life With Woodpecker and he writes this wonderful paragraph:

"Three of the four elements are shared by all creatures, but fire was a gift to humans alone. Smoking cigarettes is as intimate as we can become with fire without immediate excruciation. Every smoker is an embodiment of Prometheus, stealing fire from the gods and bringing it on back home. We smoke to capture the power of the sun, to pacify Hell, to identify with the primordial spark, to feed on the marrow of the volcano. It's not the tobacco we're after but the fire...but stealing fire from the gods exacts a steep price."

Fixed it for you.:)

W.

makoti
03-28-2019, 08:33 AM
I'm old enough to remember when smoking was allowed on planes and you'd be asked whether you wanted your seat in the smoking section or the non-smoking section, as if that was going to make a blind bit of difference.Thank goodness those days are over.

I was a Flight Attendant during the last of those years. It was hell. Always came home stinking of cigarettes. No pipes or cigars. Those were offensive. Ha! The NS section kept getting bigger & bigger, moved to accommodate non-smokers. Eventually, with no more than 5 rows of smoking, they cut it out entirely. I was so happy when we finally went all non-smoking. Then a few years later, I started working with British Airways, and they still allowed smoking. Trans Atlantic with Europeans smoking up a storm. That was an awful 3 years.

veggieburger
03-28-2019, 08:42 AM
Sooooo a few years ago I was given a box of old briar pipes and some tins of English and Turkish tobacco. It's been a year since I've sparked up a bowl, but when I eventually do stop riding, I will get back into it.

https://content.artofmanliness.com/uploads//2015/11/pipe.png

unterhausen
03-28-2019, 09:45 AM
I also remember reading somewhere that the key driver for the airlines eventually adopting a non smoking policy was not because of any health related concern, but it was because they realised they could save heaps of money on cleaning expenses if no-one was able to smoke on board.I'm not sure I believe this, since they rarely clean. Okay, I guess emptying cigarette ashes probably cost them a little. But they run the minimum air they can through the cabin, and with smoke they probably had to run a little more air. That is real money, because it costs fuel.

When I was in los vegas, walking was a challenge, I had to dodge the smokers. Hold breath while passing, get to clean air, breath, repeat. Just finding a place outside the hotel to sit smoke free was a challenge. I had to get a prescription for prednisone because I was gasping for air otherwise.

Louis
03-28-2019, 02:12 PM
I'm not sure I believe this, since they rarely clean. Okay, I guess emptying cigarette ashes probably cost them a little.

Smoke permeates everything porous and settles on every surface. Have you ever smelled the furniture in a smoker's home or a smoker's car? It reeks.

Mr. Pink
03-29-2019, 06:31 AM
Doubtful they scrubbed down the seats every week.

AngryScientist
03-29-2019, 06:41 AM
Smoke permeates everything porous and settles on every surface. Have you ever smelled the furniture in a smoker's home or a smoker's car? It reeks.

tell me about it:

I'm a big watch fanatic too, and several months ago i bought a watch from ebay with what looked like a really nice leather band, which i was looking forward to using.

well - when the box with the watch arrived, i knew i was going to have a problem immediately as the cardboard box itself reeked of smoke.

i wound up throwing the practically new leather strap in the garbage, it stunk.

nooneline
03-29-2019, 07:04 AM
I bought a BIKE that had been in a smoker's home for a long-ass time, and the freaking STEEL smelled like smoke. Took an unholy amount of degreaser to clean a perceptible layer of residue off of the frame and parts, at which point it finally stopped smelling.

makoti
03-29-2019, 07:22 AM
Doubtful they scrubbed down the seats every week.

The old cloth seats? Ever is more like it. Would just change the covers. The foam "flotation seat" never changed unless badly soiled. So the smell stayed.

benb
03-29-2019, 08:07 AM
I bought a used guitar amp... the seller lied (this was over the internet) about condition as it was owned by a smoker.

The whole inside of the amp, circuit board, the horns/baffles inside the speaker all the plastic parts were coated in that smoke/nicotine residue, which then caused dust to stick to everything.

I think it was even inside the potentiometers for the controls.. it developed an issue and i took it all apart and found the gunk all over everything... got it working but it's stopped working again.

Super gross... got it on reverb.com, they have a really unbalanced system that favors the seller over the buyer, not much chance of any resolution from them.

dbh
03-29-2019, 08:16 AM
I'm amazed at the number of early morning pot smokers here in Boston. From the bike lane, I'll zoom by so many cars on our chronically clogged streets during the AM commute on my bike, and I always smell pot wafting from so many cars at 8 in the morning. I voted for pot legalization here in MA, so couldn't care less about people using pot for recreational purposes, but I am worried that it seems socially acceptable to smoke and drive. As a bike commuter, it does scare me to think about the number of impaired drivers out there. Replace those morning joints with open containers of beer or liquor in cars, and people would be appalled and probably call the police to get those drivers off the road. Weed, not so much.

cash05458
03-29-2019, 08:28 AM
ok...I will bite and be the bad guy here as this was originally a call out yes?...I smoke two packs a day...go ahead everyone and have at it...

nooneline
03-29-2019, 08:31 AM
ok...I will bite and be the bad guy here as this was originally a call out yes?...I smoke two packs a day...go ahead everyone and have at it...

while people are quick to point out some of the gross effects that smoking has on the people around those who do it, i dunno that there's a whole lot of blame for the act itself. it's an addiction and most people start when they are teens who make bad decisions. you do you, and good luck to you when you decide to quit.

tsarpepe
03-29-2019, 08:43 AM

Yay! It took until page 8 of the thread, but we finally have our first full-time (cigarette) smoker!

tbike4
03-29-2019, 09:05 AM
I was having a chat with a co-worker the other day and we wondered at what price point for a pack of cigarettes does one with a so called middle class income say- too much $$ I guess I will quit. $20/pack? My co-worker suggested that addiction will find a way to get the drug so the price doesn't matter. Perhaps.

Another co-worker used to smoke and now is a vaper. He thinks it's OK to vape indoors. He was told it is not OK but he still tries to SNEAK one in when nobody is looking. Rant squelched before it can start.

OtayBW
03-29-2019, 09:07 AM
I wouldn't call you a bad guy, but I'll just simply say: good luck with your choice.

cash05458
03-29-2019, 09:42 AM
"$20/pack?"

well, that is one argument...should you like to start I can hook you up with an online place I get mine from...bags of good tobacco in one pound bags and you roll your own...about 2 bucks a pack...:)

Chris
03-29-2019, 10:28 AM

Appreciate your help keeping our insurance premiums and health care costs down... :)

cash05458
03-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Appreciate your help keeping our insurance premiums and health care costs down... :)

thanks for that...of course I am responsible for your health care rising... of course I am...but hey, put myself out here after all I suppose...I might just say you live in the midwest...dont think too many of your reps are really on your side...guess that is your call as well...

XXtwindad
03-29-2019, 10:59 AM

It took courage to post this. I hope that you will kick the habit eventually.

Shoeman
03-29-2019, 11:12 AM

I was a 2 pack a day smoker!! Two Pretty good reasons to think about quitting!! I haven't reached 70 years yet & barely alive!!

Post #37

cash05458
03-29-2019, 11:25 AM
I was a 2 pack a day smoker!! Two Pretty good reasons to think about quitting!! I haven't reached 70 years yet & barely alive!!

Post #37

Hey and thanks...honestly wish you luck and decent days! I hope you get some rides in...many rides...

Mr. Pink
03-30-2019, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't call you a bad guy, but I'll just simply say: good luck with your choice.

It's not a choice after the addiction sets in, and that addiction is for life. I am addicted to nicotine, and I stopped smoking 33 years ago. All i have to do is smoke a cigarette or two, and I'm pretty sure it will be back to the races, alrthough it will be much harder to smoke anywhere but my home and car this time around. Which is good.

R3awak3n
03-30-2019, 08:18 AM
It's not a choice after the addiction sets in, and that addiction is for life. I am addicted to nicotine, and I stopped smoking 33 years ago. All i have to do is smoke a cigarette or two, and I'm pretty sure it will be back to the races, alrthough it will be much harder to smoke anywhere but my home and car this time around. Which is good.

I disagree that its a life thing. I quit 5 years ago and you would have to put a gun to my head to smoke another cig, seriously grosses me out.

Mr. Pink
03-30-2019, 08:20 AM

I'm guessing that this statement implies that cigarette smokers die earlier, therefore cost the insurance industry, and all of us, less money. Not true. I have watched three smokers die from the effects of smoking, and it isnt a sudden clutching of the chest end or, the best fantasy, not waking up one morning. No, it's a long, ugly, nasty, pathetic experience. My father slowly died over about a ten year period, in and out of hospitals with cardiac events, and then amputations near the end. It was unpleasent to watch, and very expensive. About 850,000 dollars in 1990 money. Fortunately for us, he had insurance and Medicare. Btw, he smoked through a lot of it. Then, two very close friends dying of cancer fairly recently, one a strong cyclist. One over four years, the other three. Watching both has convinced me that I will settle my affairs and seek out a good hospice if diagnosed with a fairly advanced cancer, because no way am I going through what they went through, while watching all of my assets get taken by the profit seeking cancer industry, and, believe me, that industry is enjoying it's best of times right now with 73 million out of shape Boomers dying off. Besides, one should have a damn good and loving support system in place if that person decides on an iffy "cure", because it is far from easy on your own, and I don't have that.

So, anyway, what I'm trying to say is, with modern medical technology, humans can be kept alive much much longer than just 60 years ago, but, it's a very expensive and miserable existence. It's not a dirty secret to most that most of our medical expenditures occur in the last six months of life.

Stop smoking now. Seek help. I did group therapy, and it worked. Best advice I got was that I could never ever touch a cigarette again. It worked.

I can't believe that horribly toxic drug is still openly for sale at my local CVS behind the cashier.

Mr. Pink
03-30-2019, 08:24 AM
I disagree that its a life thing. I quit 5 years ago and you would have to put a gun to my head to smoke another cig, seriously grosses me out.

Well, it's a funny thing. I was a 1.5 - 2 pack smoker, first thing in the morning. A junkie. But, we all know the occasional smoker, bum one or two in the bar, wake up and go through the next day with no need. Maybe that was you. Lucky you, if.

R3awak3n
03-30-2019, 08:35 AM
Well, it's a funny thing. I was a 1.5 - 2 pack smoker, first thing in the morning. A junkie. But, we all know the occasional smoker, bum one or two in the bar, wake up and go through the next day with no need. Maybe that was you. Lucky you, if.

I started my morning with 2 cigarettes for a few years, was a must. Prob smoked a pack at my highest with maybe a bit more if I was going out (college years). I was definitely a smoker. However, and some will argue, I never thought of it as an adiction, I just loved the process and loves the social aspect of it (I actually met my wife during a class smoke break, we were the 2 smokers in class so I guess not all was negative from the bad habit). I did not have any problem quitting, just got up one day and was like, dont want to do this anymore and have not smoked since. My wife on the other hand did not have it that easy, she had a hell of a time quitting but has been off the habit for 2 or 3 years. Everyone is different.

bironi
03-31-2019, 12:18 AM

William

Interesting William.
I tried to sabotage my dad by hiding his cartons.
It was cute and had a short lived effect.
My dad continued smoking to age 49.
He stopped when. his heart stopped.

I had very serious asthma as a kid.
In 3rd and fourth grades was hospitalized with asthma and pneumonia.
Both times were very near fatal.

And yet I was stupid enough to become addicted for a few years in high school and early 20's. Breaking the addiction took concerted focus, but I'm so glad I did it.

Chris
03-31-2019, 08:33 AM
I'm guessing that this statement implies that cigarette smokers die earlier, therefore cost the insurance industry, and all of us, less money. Not true. I have watched three smokers die from the effects of smoking, and it isnt a sudden clutching of the chest end or, the best fantasy, not waking up one morning. No, it's a long, ugly, nasty, pathetic experience. My father slowly died over about a ten year period, in and out of hospitals with cardiac events, and then amputations near the end. It was unpleasent to watch, and very expensive. About 850,000 dollars in 1990 money. Fortunately for us, he had insurance and Medicare. Btw, he smoked through a lot of it. Then, two very close friends dying of cancer fairly recently, one a strong cyclist. One over four years, the other three. Watching both has convinced me that I will settle my affairs and seek out a good hospice if diagnosed with a fairly advanced cancer, because no way am I going through what they went through, while watching all of my assets get taken by the profit seeking cancer industry, and, believe me, that industry is enjoying it's best of times right now with 73 million out of shape Boomers dying off. Besides, one should have a damn good and loving support system in place if that person decides on an iffy "cure", because it is far from easy on your own, and I don't have that.

So, anyway, what I'm trying to say is, with modern medical technology, humans can be kept alive much much longer than just 60 years ago, but, it's a very expensive and miserable existence. It's not a dirty secret to most that most of our medical expenditures occur in the last six months of life.

Stop smoking now. Seek help. I did group therapy, and it worked. Best advice I got was that I could never ever touch a cigarette again. It worked.

I can't believe that horribly toxic drug is still openly for sale at my local CVS behind the cashier.

My post was sarcastic. For the various reasons you cited. For those reasons, health insurance premiums are much higher for those who smoke, but that doesn’t account for the millions lost treating diseases caused by smoking and so we all pay more because people smoke.

nobuseri
03-31-2019, 09:28 AM
Late to the party, but I have not smoked anything, ever.
I probably never will. Just not my thing.

I do/did have friends that smoked. Throughout college and after. I probably inhaled my fair share of second hand smoke when I could not stand upwind.

Some of them were able to quit cold-turkey. Some, patches and gum. Some could not kick the habit and still smoke to this day.

From what I gather, it seems like a hard habit to kick once started in full force.
About weed, it seems that that one is not as addictive, but rather a step ladder to other drugs.

To those that do these, please do in moderation, if possible.

R3awak3n
03-31-2019, 09:44 AM
Late to the party, but I have not smoked anything, ever.
I probably never will. Just not my thing.

I do/did have friends that smoked. Throughout college and after. I probably inhaled my fair share of second hand smoke when I could not stand upwind.

Some of them were able to quit cold-turkey. Some, patches and gum. Some could not kick the habit and still smoke to this day.

From what I gather, it seems like a hard habit to kick once started in full force.
About weed, it seems that that one is not as addictive, but rather a step ladder to other drugs.

To those that do these, please do in moderation, if possible.

from someone that does not smoke weed, this is not true. Its as much a gateway drug as cig or alcohol.

nobuseri
03-31-2019, 09:54 AM
Good to know. Thanks for the correction. :)

YesNdeed
03-31-2019, 10:01 AM
I'm in the One and Done-For club. I smoke one way - heavily. One cigarette and over the course of a week or two, I'll be back to a pack a day. When I originally smoked, I'd kill two packs on my days off. I had quit for four years in my twenties, then went back for a year, quit again in Spring of 2008 and began endurance road biking a year after that.

The one thing I can say for smoking is that I was forced to take a short break every hour or two. No matter what, I took a moment to settle, then return to what I was doing. The closest thing I do to that now is a 6 minute plank routine, which could stand to happen every day, but doesn't. What a great stress reliever.

When I encounter someone having their fix, I occasionally tell them in passing that's the one thing I (sort of) miss. I figure they know as well as I do that it's a terrible habit, and they no doubt feel second or third class in this day and age. If I say anything at all, why not say something positive?

oldpotatoe
03-31-2019, 02:25 PM
I figure they know as well as I do that it's a terrible habit

It’s not a ‘habit’, but an addiction, more powerfully addictive , some say, than herion or cocaine. Habit is brushing your teeth twice a day, smoking is an addiction. Just stop or don’t start, it is death in a 20 cig pack.

YesNdeed
03-31-2019, 03:02 PM
It’s not a ‘habit’, but an addiction, more powerfully addictive , some say, than herion or cocaine. Habit is brushing your teeth twice a day, smoking is an addiction. Just stop or don’t start, it is death in a 20 cig pack.

Yes, and that demon anxiously awaits my return.

Lifecycle
05-17-2019, 12:20 PM
I was hoping this was another cooking thread

Aaah well.

I don't like smoking anything. Not even weed. I'm slow enough as it is and don't want to impact lung function

M

Copy that !

The older you get the more you will notice your lung function

bikeridah
05-17-2019, 01:26 PM
I detest vaping more than cigarette smokers (I do neither).

Vaping has become a real problem in schools with kids starting as early as 6th grade, at least in my area. My town recently passed an ordinance to ban vape sales except in 2 licensed shops, but that'll just force them to neighboring towns to buy it.

I hate the second hand cloud that vapers exhale which are twice as big as cigarette ones making it difficult to dodge so I just end up holding my breath.

Disgusting habit/addiction.

sailorboy
05-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Smokers should be expected to pay proportional and fair (to those of us who never picked up the pitiful habit) premiums and co-pays for their insurance and medical expenses. I have no problem with paying into insurance as a pretty healthy individual who takes measures to maintain that health, and I'm a proponent of universal coverage...but if you smoke you should pay more.

One thing that drove me nuts during a recent and brief stint working in the VA healthcare system was attending a lecture on amputee care. I was informed that >95% of veterans currently enrolled in the VA who have had amputations and ongoing amputee-related care are a result of non-traumatic disease processes. In other words, for things that had absolutely nothing to do with their military service or combat etc. I suspect a vast majority of that group required amputations due to preventable or at least manageable diseases such as diabetes and peripheral vascular disease; which are frequently exacerbated by the effects of nicotine abuse. Ironically, whenever you see a VA poster or ad showing a veteran with some amazing technological prosthetic or playing wheelchair sports, it is usually the young, likely traumatic amputee from a recent war, not a guy that chose a *****ty diet, rarely exercises and smoked ~2ppd for his entire adult life. Sorry for the thread drift, but this topic just sets something off in me.

MilanoTom
05-17-2019, 04:53 PM
I took one puff on a cigarette when I was in junior high school and that was it. I do, however, enjoy a pipe a couple of times a week and, on very rare occasions, a cigar. When I work as a volunteer mechanic on the Braking AIDS Ride, I usually have a lit corncob pipe in my mouth. A surprising number of riders and crew told me how they either liked the smell or that it brought back fond memories of uncles, grandfathers, etc.

Tom

donevwil
05-17-2019, 05:24 PM
I took one puff on a cigarette when I was in junior high school and that was it. I do, however, enjoy a pipe a couple of times a week and, on very rare occasions, a cigar. When I work as a volunteer mechanic on the Braking AIDS Ride, I usually have a lit corncob pipe in my mouth. A surprising number of riders and crew told me how they either liked the smell or that it brought back fond memories of uncles, grandfathers, etc.

Tom

When I come across a cigarette smoker I always increase my pace or alter my route to be clear of the noxious fumes as quickly as possible. Cross paths with someone enjoying a pipe or good cigar I tend to slow down, take a deep breath and remember my grandfather.

I'm the son of a chain smoker, family trips in the car were a nightmare before he quit. RIP dad (lung cancer).

MilanoTom
05-18-2019, 01:15 PM
When I come across a cigarette smoker I always increase my pace or alter my route to be clear of the noxious fumes as quickly as possible. Cross paths with someone enjoying a pipe or good cigar I tend to slow down, take a deep breath and remember my grandfather.

I'm the son of a chain smoker, family trips in the car were a nightmare before he quit. RIP dad (lung cancer).

Sorry about your dad.

Tom

Dave Ferris
05-22-2019, 01:32 AM
And Beverly Hills just became the first city in the nation to ban the sale of all tobacco products. Now if we could just follow suit in Glendale...good luck with that.

oldpotatoe
05-22-2019, 06:20 AM
And Beverly Hills just became the first city in the nation to ban the sale of all tobacco products. Now if we could just follow suit in Glendale...good luck with that.

How about 'vape' and similar products? They are not 'tobacco' per say but are much more addictive than tobacco due to their method of YUGE influx of nicotine, plus they 'taste' like fruit and such...MUCH bigger problem..a study here says that 25% of HS juniors and seniors are REGULAR users of Juul type products.

XXtwindad
06-22-2022, 04:18 PM
I always thought this was an interesting (and odd) thread. “Smoking cyclists” seems like an oxymoron. But nicotine is a powerful addictive.

The FDA is planning on (or hoping to) slash the amount of nicotine in cigarettes in order to make them less addictive.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/21/health/fda-nicotine-cigarettes.html

Unsurprisingly, the nicotine companies think that plan constitutes illegal government overreach.

“Altria and RAI Services have previously warned that a standard that makes tobacco unappealing to adult smokers would be considered a cigarette ban and would violate tobacco control laws.

“Both an express and a de facto ban would have precisely the same effect — both would eviscerate Congress’s expressly stated purpose ‘to permit the sale of tobacco products to adults,’” according to a letter in 2018 from RAI Services to the F.D.A. about an earlier proposal.”

DeBike
06-22-2022, 04:25 PM
I do not smoke cigarettes or vape. There is a smoking product I use, occasionally. It is green, sticky and it stinks.

RWL2222
06-22-2022, 04:40 PM
How about 'vape' and similar products? They are not 'tobacco' per say but are much more addictive than tobacco due to their method of YUGE influx of nicotine, plus they 'taste' like fruit and such...MUCH bigger problem..a study here says that 25% of HS juniors and seniors are REGULAR users of Juul type products.

Looks like the feds are going to kick juul off the market too.

Toeclips
06-22-2022, 09:24 PM
I do not smoke cigarettes or vape. There is a smoking product I use, occasionally. It is green, sticky and it stinks.

You missed that post by five minutes :rolleyes:

fmradio516
06-23-2022, 05:01 AM

Depends on the time zone

J.Higgins
06-23-2022, 05:12 AM
Got the PTSD real bad, and consequently a medical cannabis card was issued. Not proud of it, but thought it was kind of cool at first. Fast forward two years and now I've quit. I was tired of being stoned and lazy. For what its worth, it did not seem to affect my performance, but it did cause me to cough up some pretty interesting shapes... :eek:

It's been 6 months, and I'm still yakking up clam chowder. :mad:

I feel better. It helped with my problem, but what I found was that it didnt really truly help, rather it just made me not give a fyork about whatever was bothering me at the time. Anyway, despite the rattle I still have in my lungs, I feel better and look better. I took a look in the mirror and didnt like what I saw and said enough is enough. That crap was dragging me down, bigtime!

DeBike
06-23-2022, 05:54 AM

Wrong time zone, and currently, not inhaling.

callmeishmael
06-23-2022, 06:35 AM
I'm an ex-smoker. I smoked on-and-off from my mid 20s to mid 30s. I used to joke that giving up smoking was easy; I'd done it loads of times.

Like many here, I was well aware of the likely long--term consequences of my habit, but (from both personal experience and scientific consensus) nicotine is tremendously addictive, especially to those with a genetic predisposition. The psychological aspects of the addiction are also hard to re-wire, as it were.

Giving up really isn't an easy thing to do. Many smokers genuinely want to, but find it too difficult. In this way, telling a smoker 'just stop' isn't terribly helpful, however well intentioned. Addiction to anything is a complex matter.

I'm not saying accept smoking in public, but a little empathy goes a long way.

I vaped as a transition, for which it worked very well and for which the NHS in the UK recommends it, and will still have the odd/occasional drag. I accept this is less than ideal, but it is likely better than smoking and I'd regard it as my only vice (not sure my wife would agree!)

gdw
06-23-2022, 07:10 AM
40% of our population is obese, 2/3rds overweight, but 12.5% smoke cigarettes (down from 20.9% in 2005) so the FDA wants to reduce the the amount of nicotine in cigarettes....brilliant!

tommyrod74
06-23-2022, 07:40 AM
40% of our population is obese, 2/3rds overweight, but 12.5% smoke cigarettes (down from 20.9% in 2005) so the FDA wants to reduce the the amount of nicotine in cigarettes....brilliant!

Yes, because obviously we can't address nicotine addiction for the 12.5% of the population who has it until we fully eradicate obesity.

Do you think the FDA should be regulating calorie intake instead? SMDH.

phishrabbi
06-23-2022, 08:09 AM
Cigarettes no.

Cannabis? I prefer to vaporize flower and concentrates, but will roll a joint from time to time.

All the data I’ve seen on driving and cannabis consumption indicates that while not advisable, it is nowhere near as dangerous as driving after drinking or taking opioid pain killers.

Alcohol and cigarettes are far worse for society than thc.

yngpunk
06-23-2022, 08:11 AM
Yes, because obviously we can't address nicotine addiction for the 12.5% of the population who has it until we fully eradicate obesity.

But, they could regulate something like the amount of trans-fats in foods, for example

gdw
06-23-2022, 08:25 AM

Sure, why not? If we're going to be a nanny nation lets also tax the foods with high percentages of sugar or corn syrup at the same rate we tax tobacco. The folks who are addicted to overeating should pay for the burden they place on our health care system.

tommyrod74
06-23-2022, 09:16 AM
Sure, why not? If we're going to be a nanny nation lets also tax the foods with high percentages of sugar or corn syrup at the same rate we tax tobacco. The folks who are addicted to overeating should pay for the burden they place on our health care system.

This argument is a lot like the argument against stricter gun control laws – car accidents kill more people every year, so why don’t we lower the maximum highway speed to 25 mph before we touch gun control laws? It would save so many lives!

The reason your argument (like my above example) is flawed: automobiles, like food, are 100% necessary for most people. More people are negatively impacted by a draconian speed limit restriction than realistic gun laws.

I’m not arguing that firearms aren’t necessary-quite the opposite. They are, however, far less necessary for the average person than an automobile is. Cigarettes are completely unnecessary, and therefore a far better (and easier) target for regulation.

All that being said – I’m a registered dietitian with a masters degree in nutrition. I have zero problem with a “fat tax” added to high calorie, low nutrient density foods, for example. I suspect, however, you aren’t really proposing that we do that. You just think we shouldn’t have any government intervention, and are therefore proposing something you see as ridiculous to illustrate your point.

klasse
06-23-2022, 09:31 AM
Schick graduate here from the late 80's. Quit all forms of smoke 12-13y ago. I have a semi-close friend who is literally dying of cigarettes, around 45yo with a young daughter. I am seriously thinking about how to do an intervention.

If you want to quit, you can, but you really have to want it. And if you are not familiar with Schick, it was shock treatment BITD.

gdw
06-23-2022, 09:59 AM
"I suspect, however, you aren’t really proposing that we do that. You just think we shouldn’t have any government intervention, and are therefore proposing something you see as ridiculous to illustrate your point."

Correct. Education and taxation have been very effective in decreasing the numbers of smokers in this country. Limiting the nicotine content of cigarettes is unnecessary and overreach in my my opinion. Smokers are already marginalized, even demonized, by our current culture so this just seems like another slap at a vulnerable minority. Obesity is a much bigger problem and unfortunately we tolerate and accept it despite the fact that it kills more of our population than tobacco.

tommyrod74
06-23-2022, 12:04 PM
"I suspect, however, you aren’t really proposing that we do that. You just think we shouldn’t have any government intervention, and are therefore proposing something you see as ridiculous to illustrate your point."

Correct. Education and taxation have been very effective in decreasing the numbers of smokers in this country. Limiting the nicotine content of cigarettes is unnecessary and overreach in my my opinion. Smokers are already marginalized, even demonized, by our current culture so this just seems like another slap at a vulnerable minority. Obesity is a much bigger problem and unfortunately we tolerate and accept it despite the fact that it kills more of our population than tobacco.

I don't think you understand the definition of "vulnerable minority".

Also, making a drug delivery device less potent (and therefore less addictive) isn't exactly violating anyone's civil rights.

Again, I've got no problem with regulation of certain food items to address obesity.

Dude
06-24-2022, 11:45 AM
In an effort to keep this from getting locked, strawmanning cigarettes with obesity isn’t going to go over well.

Sure there are lots of things that can be dealt with, this thread is specifically talking about cigarette smoking and sometimes weed.