PDA

View Full Version : Shimano/Campy Compatability

Spinner
03-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Can a Campy 9-speed chain be used on a 9-speed Shimano?

jemdet
03-25-2019, 08:30 AM
I use Campy 9V Record chains on Shimano / Campy 8V drivetrains all the time. Thousands of smooth miles - they are worth their weight in gold. Indexed, friction, whatever.

I have not specifically tried a 9V Shimano drivetrain with a 9V Campy chain, but I can't imagine that you'll have any problems.

Bonus is that 9V Campy chain pins can be "pushed/pulled" - Shimano 9V chains ask for a quick link / installation pin.

FlashUNC
03-25-2019, 09:09 AM
Don't do it. That is the combination that sings the song that brings about the end of the universe.

Black Dog
03-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Works fine.

wallymann
03-25-2019, 10:15 AM
Don't do it. That is the combination that sings the song that brings about the end of the universe.

dogs and cats living together! mass hysteria!

dddd
03-25-2019, 02:03 PM
I had a dusty old box full of "remnant" C9 chains that had come from doing gearing changes on customer's new bikes, and I eventually used them up on all kinds of bikes.

I added links as needed and even used them on a couple of old Varsities and Supersport models that had original steel one-piece cranksets (but with Shimano Uniglide freewheels). I never used Campag special pins with these, only KMC-type connecting links.

The chains wear well and gave no problems with shifting, while clearance at the front derailer cage became abundant so no need for trim, ever.

For best indexing performance, I usually use Shimano HG chain.

oldpotatoe
03-26-2019, 06:18 AM

Sure..2 things about using a Campag 9s chain.

One of the 'last' chains where it's a push pin partially out, push same pin back in AND

A great first step to switching to all Campagnolo...:)