PDA

View Full Version : Front derailleur compatibility

jwb96
11-29-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm putting a regular 53t road crank on my new cross frame, which has a 34.9 seattube diameter. I'm using a 105 braze-on adapter with a Shimano clamp adapter. The problem with this is that the clamp lands exactly on water bottle boss. So I'm looking for suggestions to get around this.

First, and probably most cheaply, I've seen some adapters that have a slot rather than just the hole the Shimano has, which may be enough. Any suggestions?

Second, a different derailleur. Here I wonder if a top-pull (mountain) derailleur works with road shifters. The clamp would be much lower, but will it work with a 39-53 crank too? This may not be as good a solution . . .

Anyway, looking for some ideas.

Thanks,
Jim

palincss
11-29-2006, 09:03 PM
IHere I wonder if a top-pull (mountain) derailleur works with road shifters. The clamp would be much lower, but will it work with a 39-53 crank too? This may not be as good a solution . . .

In the Shimano line the MTB front derailleurs have a different cable pull than the road fronts. That's not an issue if you are using downtube or barend shifters, but it could definitely cause problems with integrated shift/brake levers.

stevep
11-29-2006, 09:03 PM
use a 50 t ring. should work,
50-11...plenty big gear kimosable.
you use it as a winter bike or something? not a cross bike, obviously.