PDA

View Full Version : Not a big deal but... Specialized went back to Threaded BB on their lower end Tarmcs.

zmalwo
03-25-2019, 06:16 AM
Found out a few days ago that they went back to BSA on their lower end Tarmac bikes since 2 years ago. hopefully more manufactures follow them.. I was looking for a frame at the time so snatched a brand new Tarmac Comp for a pretty good price. Maybe we will see more threaded BB frames in the future.

Bentley
03-25-2019, 07:14 AM
For me, that’s an UPGRADE

vincenz
03-25-2019, 07:16 AM
For me, that’s an UPGRADE

Amen.

Blue Jays
03-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Hey, now that is a "new" bicycle frame "standard" that I can get behind. :banana:

texbike
03-25-2019, 07:37 AM
Nice! And yes, I'd love to see more manufacturers return to the BSA standard.

unterhausen
03-25-2019, 07:39 AM
next thing ya know, road bikes will go back to rim brakes

Safepants
03-25-2019, 10:10 AM

say it ain't so! I'm slowly replacing all my bikes with disc brakes except for my one with a rim brake dynamo hub :( Wish i bought the disc version way back instead

jb_11
03-25-2019, 11:30 AM
Some Rubys/Roubaixs have them as well.

biker72
03-25-2019, 11:51 AM
Low end Diverges have them too.

Black Dog
03-25-2019, 12:22 PM
Why not go T47. Threaded with all the "benefits" of a wider bore diameter and none of the draw backs. Easy to make threaded adaptors for the million other crank spindle and BB "standards". The industry needs to end the marketing madness of BB standards.

Mark McM
03-25-2019, 12:39 PM
Why not go T47. Threaded with all the "benefits" of a wider bore diameter and none of the draw backs. Easy to make threaded adaptors for the million other crank spindle and BB "standards". The industry needs to end the marketing madness of BB standards.

Since the threaded BBs only appear on the lower-cost bikes, I think we can assume it was done for cost savings reasons (maybe the small extra paid to bond a metal shell into the frame was made up for by using lower cost BB and/or crank). I'm going to guess that since T47 is not a widely used standard, then T47 BBs (or adapters to use standard BBs) would cost more, and therefore eat into profit margins.

johnniecakes
03-25-2019, 01:56 PM

Go back? Some of us have not (and will not) move to disc's

CunegoFan
03-25-2019, 05:17 PM
Threaded BBs seem to be on a bit of an upswing in MTB world. Companies like Santa Cruz and Ibis don't make cheap bikes; it is not cost savings. It has become a plus when comparing bikes. I just wish Pivot would follow suit.

isalgue
03-27-2019, 04:49 PM

Second that

charliedid
03-27-2019, 05:22 PM
Since the threaded BBs only appear on the lower-cost bikes, I think we can assume it was done for cost savings reasons (maybe the small extra paid to bond a metal shell into the frame was made up for by using lower cost BB and/or crank). I'm going to guess that since T47 is not a widely used standard, then T47 BBs (or adapters to use standard BBs) would cost more, and therefore eat into profit margins.

Exactly

Low end sq taper installed properly provides fairly worry free riding and rather simple replacement in cost and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColnagoC59
03-27-2019, 06:07 PM
+1 its an upgrade

TREEfool
03-28-2019, 04:31 AM
YES! thank you!!!! I sold my tarmac years ago ( one of my all-time favorite bikes) because I couldn't stand always fixing ( or at least trying to fix) the creaky bottom bracket

redir
03-28-2019, 06:53 AM
Amen.

Can I get another amen!

Amen!

YES! thank you!!!! I sold my tarmac years ago ( one of my all-time favorite bikes) because I couldn't stand always fixing ( or at least trying to fix) the creaky bottom bracket

I was about to do that with my C-dale BB30a crap. I can't even believe they still make that junk. I was going to start a help thread here on what I need to do to convert it. Apparently there are options out there.

unterhausen
03-28-2019, 07:03 AM
A company like spesh could make T47 a major standard if they wanted to do so. Probably cost them zero dollars relative to BSC.

I have 4 rim brake bikes in the queue right now, so I'm right there with you.
But even low-end hybrids have discs nowadays. It's not too hard to foresee the time when you're not going to be buying a rim brake bike down at the Spesh/Trek/Giant dealer. Just like trying to find a new 26" mountain bike. The main thing I'm worried about is the continued availability of good rims. That is, until the marketing people at the big brands decide they should hype rim brakes.

Ralph
03-28-2019, 10:42 AM
On my BB30 C Dale.....Just Epoxyed in a threaded 68 MM adapter sleeve. (50 grams) Now can run anything. And that thing is in to stay. No creaks!

ultraman6970
03-28-2019, 12:04 PM
+1 on this.

What is funny is that people buys the reports the manufacturers come up with, benefits and BS just made up to sell the stuff... no threaded.. ok lighter... yes but you need like 3 extra parts and you made up for the weight saved, stiffer? well no comments, to me thats another BS... soon the too stiff will make place to snappy woobly frames because makes them go faster, actually Look back in the day said that thair carbon (lemond era) frames had some flex because were helping to rider with a little push... so probably that idea will come back to haunt us again :P

El Chaba
03-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Threadless bottom brackets serve one good purpose. They save the manufacturer money in production.

redir
03-28-2019, 02:24 PM
On my BB30 C Dale.....Just Epoxyed in a threaded 68 MM adapter sleeve. (50 grams) Now can run anything. And that thing is in to stay. No creaks!

IS there a tutorial on that somewhere? I don't know what an adapter sleeve is for one thing.

Ralph
03-28-2019, 04:34 PM
IS there a tutorial on that somewhere? I don't know what an adapter sleeve is for one thing.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/fsa-bb30-threaded-adapter-b3119-/rp-prod129935?gs=1&sku=sku466164&pgrid=1148990140868507&ptaid=pla-4575411481793955&utm_source=bing&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|RatFPMGV_dc|pcrid|71811935857116 |pkw||pmt|be|prd|466164US|&msclkid=98e1390245e619e02c3e659f0f22650e Read reviews for installation.

I use the FSA model in a CAAD 10. Sram makes one also. A bike shop friend (with a press) put mine in with some epoxy. Most use a green Loctite. You press them in. There is a tool for pressing out if you need to do that down the road. Not sure mine will press out. Make sure you don't have any guides inside the BB shell.

I could have used a Praxis (no Wheels Mfg at that time) adaptor for Campy UltraTQ. But I wanted ability to run either a square taper Campy OR a BB with external threaded cups. I essentially have a 68 MM threaded BB in a CAAD 10. Can run just about anything I want. Some said I was going backwards. But I don't have any BB problems after 3 three years of use. Fit perfect, no need to face. Put a new Chorus 102 square taper in, tightened up both sides to specs, no binding. Smooth as silk. A quality piece.

This is for BB30.

ultraman6970
03-28-2019, 10:40 PM
Interesting... since is pressed and glued, what could happen if at removing the whole shell turns around? just hammer the thing off and re glue it???

zmalwo
03-28-2019, 11:31 PM
+1 on this.

What is funny is that people buys the reports the manufacturers come up with, benefits and BS just made up to sell the stuff... no threaded.. ok lighter... yes but you need like 3 extra parts and you made up for the weight saved, stiffer? well no comments, to me thats another BS... soon the too stiff will make place to snappy woobly frames because makes them go faster, actually Look back in the day said that thair carbon (lemond era) frames had some flex because were helping to rider with a little push... so probably that idea will come back to haunt us again :P

Any increased stiffness would be mitigated by the soft polymer pressfit cups lol!!! In the end it's just a way for the manufactures to save on production cost, which is pretty unethical since they charge $5000 for something that cost them $500 to produce already.

ultraman6970
03-29-2019, 01:04 AM
I do get the cost part (actually when the format came out that was the 1st thing i thought) and that sure they found a way to make a lot of people to buy more of their stuff.

Honestly in my case is really rare for me to move to something new because I try to read between the lines and dissect the product as much as possible to see my own pro and cons, besides I cant pay for the last BS they try to pull over the costumers so new BS in my case doesn't work that much. Like when you go to get a new car and the sale man or woman try to make you buy the car you dont want... actually years ago had to tell the girl... "sweety... those techniques dont work on me, sorry, you are wasting your time with me" she smiled and walked away...

That being said, just curious what they will say this time...

Threaded BB is the best thing, even better if its the far superior italian threaded one :P....

Honestly I could understand a bigger thread than italian, but from there to pressfit and BS like that? bad idea... good thing is that many new companies built parts for that, so at that side Im happy for their development... but pretty much that's it.

redir
03-29-2019, 08:21 AM
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/fsa-bb30-threaded-adapter-b3119-/rp-prod129935?gs=1&sku=sku466164&pgrid=1148990140868507&ptaid=pla-4575411481793955&utm_source=bing&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|RatFPMGV_dc|pcrid|71811935857116 |pkw||pmt|be|prd|466164US|&msclkid=98e1390245e619e02c3e659f0f22650e Read reviews for installation.

I use the FSA model in a CAAD 10. Sram makes one also. A bike shop friend (with a press) put mine in with some epoxy. Most use a green Loctite. You press them in. There is a tool for pressing out if you need to do that down the road. Not sure mine will press out. Make sure you don't have any guides inside the BB shell.

I could have used a Praxis (no Wheels Mfg at that time) adaptor for Campy UltraTQ. But I wanted ability to run either a square taper Campy OR a BB with external threaded cups. I essentially have a 68 MM threaded BB in a CAAD 10. Can run just about anything I want. Some said I was going backwards. But I don't have any BB problems after 3 three years of use. Fit perfect, no need to face. Put a new Chorus 102 square taper in, tightened up both sides to specs, no binding. Smooth as silk. A quality piece.

This is for BB30.

That's great! Looks like it won't work for the bb30a though darn it. Maybe there is something out there...