PDA

View Full Version : You never know whom you're going to meet

cgolvin
03-24-2019, 01:07 PM
Yesterday we caught up to a group of 3 riders as we were beginning a long climb. One of them started talking to my friend about his EE brakes, telling him that with the wider rims he was riding the braking performance would be better if he swapped the washers he had in place for a different pair that come with the brakes.

My friend: "thanks…how do you know that?"
Other rider: "I'm EE, I designed and made them."

Very nice guy, had a pleasant chat about the impact of his deal with Cane Creek.

dbnm
03-24-2019, 01:13 PM
Very cool. Hope his experience with Cane Creek was positive.

cgolvin
03-24-2019, 01:23 PM
Very much so — previously he was limited by what he could make, not by how many buyers he had.

He also had disappointing things to say about US parts and manufacturing; he originally wanted to keep things US but was paying a 50% premium and not getting anything near the quality of customer service that he got from Asian suppliers.

fa63
03-24-2019, 01:39 PM
Great point, and it is something that many don't seem to recognize. Asian sourced is not only cheaper these days, but in many cases the product is equal or better, and comes with better service. Why would anyone buy US made in that case?

He also had disappointing things to say about US parts and manufacturing; he originally wanted to keep things US but was paying a 50% premium and not getting anything near the quality of customer service that he got from Asian suppliers.

Joxster
03-24-2019, 02:15 PM
Great point, and it is something that many don't seem to recognize. Asian sourced is not only cheaper these days, but in many cases the product is equal or better, and comes with better service. Why would anyone buy US made in that case?

Better not let ENVE read that ;) ;) ;)

AJosiahK
03-24-2019, 02:21 PM
thats too fun. love meeting industry folks, esp when they are chill, kind and down to earth folks.

I participated in TSE (transylvannia MTB Epic) a few years back, in Central PA.... Rode with a crew from Rockrock Coffee co, I work in coffee so naturally we had alot to talk about. Turns out one of the gents I conversed with during several of the stages that week was none other than a 13 time gold medalist and BMX pro Jamie Bestwick. He and his crew were a delight.

Happy riding!

DRZRM
03-24-2019, 07:24 PM
I think you mean Rothrock? Yeah, nice guys, think he had something to do with starting up Camp Woodward too.
thats too fun. love meeting industry folks, esp when they are chill, kind and down to earth folks.

I participated in TSE (transylvannia MTB Epic) a few years back, in Central PA.... Rode with a crew from Rockrock Coffee co, I work in coffee so naturally we had alot to talk about. Turns out one of the gents I conversed with during several of the stages that week was none other than a 13 time gold medalist and BMX pro Jamie Bestwick. He and his crew were a delight.

Happy riding!