PDA

View Full Version : Giro d Italia bound

m_sasso
03-23-2019, 09:11 PM
Complete neophyte looking for suggestions and possible viewing insight on what Giro d Italia stages to go see. Any want to be tour guides that have been there, done that and willing to provide some direction?

Going to be in Rome from the 16th to the 28th of May, primarily for my traveling partners, daughters, Masters graduation from art school.

More specifically I am wanting to have some dedicated cycling culture intake time and targeting stages from 7 through 11.

My thoughts are I would like to view at least one start or finish. Also thinking my partner and I would like to relax at the end of the day in a location that featured other activities/sights to see once the stage was completed, she rides bicycles however not a cult cyclist.

What do you know, let me have it, please!

Thanks,

Polyglot
03-23-2019, 11:28 PM
I lived for 10 years in Italy and went to see as many stages as possible that were within close range. On two occasions the giro passed right in front of where I was working, so I could have simply looked out of my office window. Most employers will however let their employees out if the giro comes nearby. The flat stages are generally rather boring apart from the occasional primes or the end of the stage sprints. When I say boring, that is the honest truth. The time schedules are notoriously vague (the organizers have no say in how the riders feel), so you generally spend anywhere between half an hour and an hour to see them whizz by you in less than a minute. The exceptions are in the hilly stages or in the ITT stages. Given the days you mention, I would focus on stage 9 and get out on the ascent to San Marino very early (they will close the road!) and then find a rowdy group. If you don't speak Italian, I would suggest finding a group of Dutchmen as they tend to be the best company and there won't be any language issues. Your travel companions can spend time at the beach.