PDA

View Full Version : Merlin Cycle UK

climbgdh
03-22-2019, 09:27 AM
Anyone here have any experience ordering from Merlin Cycles in the UK? Good , bad or otherwise experiences. Thanks in advance.

rwsaunders
03-22-2019, 09:29 AM
I've purchased tubulars and Campag bits from Merlin on a number of occasions...no issues.

Big Dan
03-22-2019, 09:29 AM
No problems at all.

Veloo
03-22-2019, 09:34 AM
Several orders. All good.
They were also ready to correct an issue of wrong size sent but I sold locally and got my money back.
Just double check their current carrier. They switched during our postal strike.

jamesdak
03-22-2019, 09:39 AM
One of my main go to sources. Nothing but love for their prices, quick shipment and customer service when needed.

ScottW
03-22-2019, 09:40 AM
I've done a few orders with them, no issues, and delivery has taken about 4-5 days which seems decently quick. Probably will be ordering from them again within the next couple of weeks.

harblhat
03-22-2019, 09:41 AM
I've ordered from them many times without issue until my latest order in Dec 2018. For some reason the only available shipping option was via UPS instead of their standard UK post shipping.

No update for weeks, and then I randomly received a UPS invoice in the mail asking for customs payment. UPS, however, always asks for payment upon delivery. Merlin customer service was not useful, and they said that I had to pay the invoice before receiving the package.

I paid the invoice and followed up only to find that the package was lost. Getting a customs refund from UPS took weeks.

Merlin ended up refunding my money after 3 months.

In short, good pricing and few issues, but when it goes bad it really goes bad. And never ship via UPS.

Zoomie80
03-22-2019, 09:48 AM
Bought Conti GP 4000S IIi tires and Campy Centaur cassettes from Merlin Cycles, no issues and arrived in about 5 days. Would buy a from them again!

climbgdh
03-22-2019, 09:54 AM
Thanks for all the comments. Appreciated. And yes.... agreed on UPS. I learned that lesson several years ago for a shipment from the US to Canada..... that went horribly wrong.

Idris Icabod
03-22-2019, 10:01 AM
I've bought twice from them in the last couple of weeks. Both orders were dispatched within 24 hours of the order. I took the free shipping option but it was tracked all the way through. After customs it was delivered to FedEx and then into the USPS for final delivery. Once it hit the USPS the shipment accelerated. My second order was delivered yesterday but was originally scheduled for this coming Monday. Total time for delivery from shipment to AZ was 7 days.

harblhat
03-22-2019, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the comments. Appreciated. And yes.... agreed on UPS. I learned that lesson several years ago for a shipment from the US to Canada..... that went horribly wrong.

Maybe we're the same person. I'm Canadian and curse the name of UPS every morning.

Delivery from UK to Toronto with Merlin was typically 1-2 weeks for me, towards the longer end if it hit customs for taxation. My record was 3 days, but that was years ago.

MagicHour
03-22-2019, 10:04 AM
Always great service, haven't had any problems and a good selection of discounted odds and ends too. They have become my new 'Nashbar' in that sense. Have a delivery from Merlin today waiting for me downstairs. :banana:

livesadventure
03-22-2019, 11:01 AM
Good prices and good shipping but disappointing return policy when they make a mistake.

I ordered a set of shifters with post mount brakes, but they sent flat mount. I contacted them, and received a prompt reply that they could swap them, but would not send the replacements until they received my return. Additionally, they would not send a ship label, I’d have shipped on my dime and hope to be reimbursed “to a reasonable amount”

Luckily I swapped the brakes with someone here and it took a day only ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Dog
03-23-2019, 05:46 AM
Maybe we're the same person. I'm Canadian and curse the name of UPS every morning.

Delivery from UK to Toronto with Merlin was typically 1-2 weeks for me, towards the longer end if it hit customs for taxation. My record was 3 days, but that was years ago.

Add me to the list. UPS Has always been brutal for international shipping.

ls1togo
03-23-2019, 06:28 AM
One of my main go to sources. Nothing but love for their prices, quick shipment and customer service when needed.

Me too!..use them from drivetrain, tires, wheels..

SpeedyChix
05-20-2019, 12:28 PM
Any idea on what the rate is for the import tax / duty on wheelset from Merlin UK to US?
Looks like 3.9%?

Kirk007
05-20-2019, 03:02 PM
Any idea on what the rate is for the import tax / duty on wheelset from Merlin UK to US?
Looks like 3.9%?

not sure the rate but I've ordered multiple wheelsets from the UK and never been hit with duty

Clean39T
05-20-2019, 03:13 PM
Record12 group came to me via UPS - no strings or paperwork attached..

Have had nothing but good transactions with them, and I've done a return to Merlin also and no issues.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

irideti
05-20-2019, 03:21 PM
I ordered from Merlin few times during last 12 months and all transactions went smoothly. The delivery took 1-2 weeks to California.

The current duty free exemption from UK is US$1,600. Therefore you don't have to worry about paying duty on order less than $1,600. It might be wise to place separate orders to avoid paying duty.

Oxford_Guy
05-20-2019, 03:46 PM
I order from them quite often, no problems, though don't know about their international service, as live in the UK

LegendRider
05-20-2019, 04:43 PM
They're my "go to" UK-based retailer for Shimano chains and cassettes (wear items) and Conti tires. Switched to Merlin a few years ago when ProBikeKit shipping became unreliable.

Clean39T
05-20-2019, 05:06 PM
I ordered from Merlin few times during last 12 months and all transactions went smoothly. The delivery took 1-2 weeks to California.

The current duty free exemption from UK is US$1,600. Therefore you don't have to worry about paying duty on order less than $1,600. It might be wise to place separate orders to avoid paying duty.And here I thought I got lucky... Lolz

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jef58
05-20-2019, 05:43 PM
Pretty good dealing with them. I also use Texas Cyclesport for Campy items. I check them both and try to support Texas Cyclesport first but use Merlin for closeout and deals.

tv_vt
05-20-2019, 05:58 PM
All good for me - several orders worth, including wheels, etc.

SpeedyChix
05-20-2019, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the confirmation and quick helpful replies-n-details. Looks like I'll be good to go,

bob heinatz
05-20-2019, 06:23 PM
Merlin has been great to deal with.

mj_michigan
05-20-2019, 07:01 PM
My only order from Merlin Cycle hit US Customs delay and took more than 2 weeks.
This despite the value being just over $100 and not subject to custom duties.
I am careful to stay well below the limit (so, no Chorus group-set for me) and usually get UK bike parts within a week. Otherwise, everything was in order.

NYCfixie
05-20-2019, 07:24 PM
I have ordered 2 sets of wheels (sub 1000), two groupsets (sub 800), and tires (sub 100) over the past few years with no issues.

- Two wheelsets showed up in 3 days with no hassle.
- 1 groupset showed up in 3 days with no hassle.
- 1 groupset showed up in 4 days with a UPS "customs handling fee" of about $15 (extra 1 day delay was because I had to call in and pay fee before they would deliver).
- Tires showed up in 2 weeks with no hassle (but I knew they were being shipped regular mail and not by priority service)

So, great service overall.

nmrt
05-20-2019, 07:31 PM
I have bought a wheelset $1700 from Merlin. Came via USPS and nary any duties.

Then I ordered a a $900 frame form another UK website. Came via DHL and was hit with a $55 customs fee. I am unaware of any $1600 limit. My finding indicated that customs depends on the bicycle part. Some parts had a limit of $600 while some had a limit of $850. But I never saw any limit of $1600.

So, I think it depends on which carrier brings the goods to you.

irideti
05-21-2019, 08:41 AM
Here are the rules from US Customs and Border Protection

Mailing and Shipping Goods - Customs Duty Guidance

Unaccompanied purchases are goods you bought on a trip that are being mailed or shipped to you in the United States. In other words, you are not carrying the goods with you when you return. If your unaccompanied purchases are from an insular possession (IP) or a Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI) country and are being imported within 30 days and sent directly from those locations to the United States, you may enter them as follows:

Up to $1,600 in goods will be duty-free under your personal exemption if the merchandise is from an IP.
Up to $800 in goods will be duty-free if it is from a CBI or Andean country.
Any additional amount, up to $1,000, in goods will be dutiable at a flat rate (3%).
To take advantage of the Customs duty-free exemption for unaccompanied tourist purchases (mailing/shipping) from an IP or CBI country:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/international-visitors/kbyg/customs-duty-info