PDA

View Full Version : Extrawheel trailer experience needed

zoom2zoom
03-21-2019, 05:32 AM
Hi everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with Extrawheel trailer for touring? I have a trip from Denver to Wash DC in couple of weeks and I like to understand some options to carry my gear (tent, sleeping bags, etc.).

I was planning on using a touring bike with racks to carry the panniers, but I did a few test runs loaded and the bike just feels heavy and actually very exhausting to be honest. So now I am thinking about using my Vamoots to tow the extrawheel with panniers as Im much more comfortable riding.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Black Dog
03-21-2019, 07:37 AM
Having ridden bikes with panniers and bikes without and towing a trailer, I tend to prefer the trailer. I have not used the trailer you are referring to however. As for effort, it is the same...no free lunch. Just better bike handling with a trailer.

old fat man
03-21-2019, 07:41 AM
I towed a BOB trailer across the country behind my cx bike (with 28mm slicks). I was self sufficient, camping for 40 of the 42 days, so I had a fair amount of stuff. Next time I do it, I'll load the bike with gear instead of towing the trailer. The only benefit to the trailer was that I could easily load and unload each day. I feel that I carried bulkier gear and pulled more weight than I needed to if I had gotten creative with frame bags and panniers.

* This was in 2008 and the options for frame bags and extra large saddle bags were much more limited