PDA

View Full Version : 2020 NAHBS Dallas, Tx

joosttx
03-18-2019, 03:05 PM
Totally stoked that NAHBS is headed to Dallas in 2020. Central location, easy to fly into, economy is booming, usually nice weather in mid March. What is there not to like?

cribbit
03-18-2019, 03:47 PM
What is there not to like?

1000 more comments of "how dare bike manufacturers build things that follow current trends!"

Really though, it's the perfect location for an event like this.

joosttx
03-18-2019, 04:03 PM
1000 more comments of "how dare bike manufacturers build things that follow current trends!"

Really though, it's the perfect location for an event like this.

I just hope the show is near the Gingerman.

dogrange
03-18-2019, 04:20 PM
If you go I’ll go, my brother lives near there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joosttx
03-18-2019, 08:24 PM
If you go I’ll go, my brother lives near there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like an awesome plan.

texasbbq
03-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Can anyone attend?

gasman
03-18-2019, 08:33 PM
Yes, you just have to buy a ticket. This year it was $20 at the door and worth it.

Louis
03-18-2019, 08:54 PM
Can anyone attend?

You can do more than attend - you can order frames, and other stuff too.

It that case, it could cost you a lot more than just $20...

Tickdoc
03-19-2019, 05:36 AM
ooh I'll be there for sure...too close to miss.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2019, 06:18 AM
Totally stoked that NAHBS is headed to Dallas in 2020. Central location, easy to fly into, economy is booming, usually nice weather in mid March. What is there not to like?

Now that interbike is dead, NAHBS is gong to get bigger and bigger..HOPE it doesn't go the way of interbike tho with the big $ manufacturers elbowing their way in.."But specialized IS 'handmade', type crappola but I see the writing on the wall..too bad. Good news is that it's a consumer show..that won't change.

Bwana
03-19-2019, 06:38 AM
Cool, definitely will try to make it. :banana:

joosttx
03-19-2019, 09:49 AM
Now that interbike is dead, NAHBS is gong to get bigger and bigger..HOPE it doesn't go the way of interbike tho with the big $ manufacturers elbowing their way in.."But specialized IS 'handmade', type crappola but I see the writing on the wall..too bad. Good news is that it's a consumer show..that won't change.

Wasn’t interbike more b2b while NAHBS more b2c. I think they are different things albiet look the same

nickl
03-19-2019, 07:03 PM
All good with the move except Dallas is definitely not a cycling friendly place, at least compared to most other major cities it’s beyond dismal. Lived there for 12+ years and still visit occasionally so I’m speaking from personal experience.

pdmtong
03-19-2019, 07:15 PM
All good with the move except Dallas is definitely not a cycling friendly place, at least compared to most other major cities it’s beyond dismal. Lived there for 12+ years and still visit occasionally so I’m speaking from personal experience.
forget the riding...this is your one time a year to eat a massive steak.

joosttx
03-19-2019, 07:16 PM

I use to bike 17 miles to school (Bishop Lynch) from basically LBJ and Hillcrest using 90% bike paths. I know tons of cyclists including my 75 year old dad.

joosttx
03-19-2019, 07:18 PM

You come I’ll take you to Bobs Chop House.

nickl
03-19-2019, 08:02 PM
I use to bike 17 miles to school (Bishop Lynch) from basically LBJ and Hillcrest using 90% bike paths. I know tons of cyclists including my 75 year old dad.

A small handful of bike paths, that are not usually accessible unless you transport your bike by car, are among the very few alternatives for cycling in Dallas and these are not viable for serious riding since speeds are limited by walkers and extremely slooow individuals riding bikes not to mention 15 mph speed limits.

joosttx
03-19-2019, 08:13 PM
A small handful of bike paths, that are not usually accessible unless you transport your bike by car, are among the very few alternatives for cycling in Dallas and these are not viable for serious riding since speeds are limited by walkers and extremely slooow individuals riding bikes not to mention 15 mph speed limits.

you can always ride your bike on the road to the bike path. Just saying.

nickl
03-19-2019, 08:30 PM
you can always ride your bike on the road to the bike path. Just saying.

That might be an alternative in other cities but not advisable in most parts of Dallas. More bike paths are coming but sharing the roads with other vehicles is not generally realistic. Bike paths are an alternative but many more are needed and those that exist are not logically connected and most are too congested for serious cycling.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/2018/10/25/road-sharing-increasingly-dangerous-north-texas-cyclists-put-faith-developing-trails-system

https://www.attorneybrianwhite.com/cyclists-beware-10-statistically-fatal-bicycling-routes-in-the-u-s/

rst72
03-19-2019, 08:34 PM

I live in Dallas and it has turned into a great city for cycling. Lots of geat areas to ride for the serious cyclist...East Dallas, downtown, oak cliff, cedar hill and mesquite/Sunnyvale (south loop route).

Lots of bike infrastructure built for the casual cyclist and plans for much much more.

Location for NAHBS is perfect. 30 miles of gravel in the trinity river levee right there next to the convention center.

nickl
03-19-2019, 08:52 PM
I live in Dallas and it has turned into a great city for cycling. Lots of geat areas to ride for the serious cyclist...East Dallas, downtown, oak cliff, cedar hill and mesquite/Sunnyvale (south loop route).

Lots of bike infrastructure built for the casual cyclist and plans for much much more.

Location for NAHBS is perfect. 30 miles of gravel in the trinity river levee right there next to the convention center.

Still, very few venues especially compared to previous NAHBS cities. I'll let the others judge during the event, but seriously, East Dallas, Downtown. etc? Casual cycling perhaps but serious cycling no.

m_moses
03-19-2019, 08:52 PM
I will definitely drive up from Houston to attend my first NAHBS.

(Will the bullet train between HOU and DFW be ready by then?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rst72
03-19-2019, 09:06 PM
Still, very few venues especially compared to previous NAHBS cities. I'll let the others judge during the event, but seriously, East Dallas, Downtown. etc? Casual cycling perhaps but serious cycling no.

You can’t do serious cycling in Dallas?

The cycling community here says otherwise. We just work with what we got and it’s pretty good when you know where to go. It takes some figuring out if not familiar, but there’s good riding here.

steelbikerider
03-19-2019, 09:08 PM
I'll plan to attend this one. I haven't been since the very first show in Houston.

timsmcm
03-19-2019, 10:02 PM
Dallas is wonderful for bike riding. Just find one of the big shops and they will tell you where to go to ride.

Louis
03-19-2019, 10:27 PM
Dallas is wonderful for bike riding.

Hmmmm - that must be the parts of the DFW area I haven't seen.

weisan
03-19-2019, 10:27 PM
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2019/03/18/nahbs-draws-record-exhibitor-count-announces-2020-show-dallas#.XJHANShKiM9

http://alicehui.com/bike/NM/Dallas.jpg

seanile
03-19-2019, 11:02 PM

Don’t say that, i just took delivery of a cow my friends and I bought!

oldpotatoe
03-20-2019, 05:43 AM
Wasn’t interbike more b2b while NAHBS more b2c. I think they are different things albiet look the same

True but in the early years NAHBS really was a place for small builders to show their stuff, take orders, yak..informal, fun..Still some of that but getting more 'corporate' by the year..and bigger..A lot of smaller builders have decided that a 'bike art show' and the race for awards wasn't in their best(business) interest and don't go anymore. PLUS it isn't cheap. Still a great show but it doesn't have the 'small town, local' feel it once had..IMHO, of course.

biker72
03-20-2019, 07:09 AM

Dallas is still no Minneapolis or Denver but things are improving.
I ride directly from my house most days it's not raining. Granted if you're a Mr.Time Trial the bike paths can get a little frustrating with walkers, skateboarders...etc.

-dustin
03-20-2019, 07:30 AM
Dallas is still no Minneapolis or Denver but things are improving.
I ride directly from my house most days it's not raining. Granted if you're a Mr.Time Trial the bike paths can get a little frustrating with walkers, skateboarders...etc.
but even then, those paths can lead Mr TT to where he needs to be in order to get his TT on.

the infrastructure Dallas has in place is quite impressive, in my book. and i didn't realize just how good it was until moving to back to Austin from Dallas, and being extremely disappointed in what Austin had to offer. (for the record, I lived in downtown Dallas, old Richardson, Plano/Garland, and Plano/ Frisco).

R3awak3n
03-20-2019, 08:51 AM
I went to Dallas for a wedding years ago.

Things that I really liked - the food...

pdmtong
03-20-2019, 12:39 PM
True but in the early years NAHBS really was a place for small builders to show their stuff, take orders, yak..informal, fun..Still some of that but getting more 'corporate' by the year..and bigger..A lot of smaller builders have decided that a 'bike art show' and the race for awards wasn't in their best(business) interest and don't go anymore. PLUS it isn't cheap. Still a great show but it doesn't have the 'small town, local' feel it once had..IMHO, of course.
SJ #3 was tiny. Pretty much everyone had a 10x10 booth, and the builder/vendor was there in a folding chair behind a card table. I think Sacha had a 10x20... that was the year he brought the trike. I think there were three aisles. Now, this is a full blown trade show for better or worse.

In the end, it is what it is, so go (or don't). I think it is as fun as you want it to be. But, as they say, the genie is out of the bottle so there is no going back to the old days.

Who cares if Dallas has good riding or not. Has NAHBS been to any place where the riding was also epic? I am sure there are plenty of other things to do/see in Dallas than trying to squeeze in a 3 hour ride before the show doors open.

joosttx
03-20-2019, 01:15 PM
SJ #3 was tiny. Pretty much everyone had a 10x10 booth, and the builder/vendor was there in a folding chair behind a card table. I think Sacha had a 10x20... that was the year he brought the trike. I think there were three aisles. Now, this is a full blown trade show for better or worse.

In the end, it is what it is, so go (or don't). I think it is as fun as you want it to be. But, as they say, the genie is out of the bottle so there is no going back to the old days.

Who cares if Dallas has good riding or not. Has NAHBS been to any place where the riding was also epic? I am sure there are plenty of other things to do/see in Dallas than trying to squeeze in a 3 hour ride before the show doors open.

I think the point about Dallas is not good for riding was there’s not a cycling community in Dallas which is entirely not true. Furthermore, there is plenty of money in Dallas. Furthermore, Dallas-ites like to spend money. All works for NAHBS

pdmtong
03-20-2019, 02:22 PM
I think the point about Dallas is not good for riding was there’s not a cycling community in Dallas which is entirely not true. Furthermore, there is plenty of money in Dallas. Furthermore, Dallas-ites like to spend money. All works for NAHBS
I'm not sure what that means or what people expect it to mean.
Advocacy groups? (silicon valley bicycle coalition)
Local racing? (road, mtb, cross)
Bike commuters? (bike lanes, sharrows, bike first boxes at intersections)
Lots of shops (high end, box store, family)
I think of places like that and just think - too hot to ride. But, of course people do ride.

I wonder what the trend line percentage mix of local to out of town attendees for NAHBS has been ... easy flights and affordable hotels are as critical...

In the end....great it is there.

joosttx
03-20-2019, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure what that means or what people expect it to mean.
Advocacy groups? (silicon valley bicycle coalition)
Local racing? (road, mtb, cross)
Bike commuters? (bike lanes, sharrows, bike first boxes at intersections)
Lots of shops (high end, box store, family)
I think of places like that and just think - too hot to ride. But, of course people do ride.

I wonder what the trend line percentage mix of local to out of town attendees for NAHBS has been ... easy flights and affordable hotels are as critical...

In the end....great it is there.

I am not what it mean either. But I know people like to spend money and a health conscience in Dallas.

Plum Hill
03-20-2019, 03:22 PM
White Rock Lake trail worked for me last spring during a visit.
Looking forward to the show.

pdmtong
03-20-2019, 03:51 PM
I am not what it mean either. But I know people like to spend money and a health conscience in Dallas.
I'm not criticizing your comment - rather just poking around as to what the location criteria really is. I would never fly unless I could do a day trip or a single night over. I dont need to have the trip costs be a non-trivial part of the new bike cost. Am glad it moves around - since bike nuts live all over the USA..

joosttx
03-20-2019, 03:53 PM
I'm not criticizing your comment - rather just poking around as to what the location criteria really is. I would never fly unless I could do a day trip or a single night over. I dont need to have the trip costs be a non-trivial part of the new bike cost. Am glad it moves around - since bike nuts live all over the USA..

i actually agree with what you wrote. What is the flipping definition?