PDA

View Full Version : Receiver hitch options

cmbicycles
03-17-2019, 05:01 PM
I'd like to get a swing away style rack for the back of my 02 Outback. I currently have a 1.25" hitch on the car, but Thule/Yakima/etc only seem to make that style for a 2" receiver. Does anyone know of someone that makes either a 2" receiver or a swing away rack in 1.25"? I've checked etrailer and they only list 1.25" receivers for my car. I know they make 1.25" to 2" hitch adapters, but those will put the rack out a bit farther from the bumper than I would prefer.

peanutgallery
03-17-2019, 05:19 PM
You drive a 2002 Subaru, solutions may be worth more than the vehicle

The only swing away options are of the hanging bike butcher variety and require a 2" receiver hitch. I would go with a trailer or a different vehicle

eddief
03-17-2019, 06:10 PM
1Up?

C40_guy
03-17-2019, 06:13 PM
If you do go with an adapter that allows you to mount that 2" rack, you may find that it moves around a lot more than you'd like. That small receiver won't do much for the sway, then putting an adapter in the middle creates more opportunity for movement...

How about a Thule or Yakima roof rack setup off Craigslist? :)

cmbicycles
03-17-2019, 06:14 PM
There was a swing away piece someone was selling on the forum for a 1Up rack... I forget who made it. I agree the car is virtually worthless. ;) The rack will not be holding fine aesthetic specimens, just my bikes and the kids when we go mountain biking, so some frame rub will blend in with the other marks.

C40_guy
03-17-2019, 06:26 PM
The rack will not be holding fine aesthetic specimens, just my bikes and the kids when we go mountain biking.

I don't know about the laws in VA, but here in MA the cops don't look kindly on carrying kids on bike racks, no matter how muddy they are after a ride. :)

msplette
03-17-2019, 09:54 PM
I had a Mazda3 hatchback several years ago and had a similar problem. I had the 1.25” receiver and a 2” rack. I took a 1.25 hitch and welded a 2” adapter to the top. It worked great for me and I didn’t have to buy a new rack. It did sway a little, but plastic shims fixed that.

loxx0050
03-18-2019, 07:51 AM
The only reason you are seeing 1.25" hitches is because the places you are looking at are suggesting them only based on the vehicle max tow rating/capacity. You can put a larger 2" version if you want and it should fit (something like a U-Haul or Curt might work...but you gotta confirm it physically fits). You just gotta remember not to try to tow something heavier than you Outaback can handle. I've heard of plenty of people with cars put on 2" hitches for bike racks but those vehicles have little to virtually non-existent towing capacity (i.e. < 1000lbs).