PDA

View Full Version : this is impressive...

obtuse
11-28-2006, 09:01 PM
so much more than the appalling $25,000 temple that does nothing except further the notion held by people not smart enough to be rich that the truly rich are incredibly stupid and lacking in any taste. the thing is like cadillac covered in diamonds.....expensive, tacky and functionally irrellevent.

this thing on the other hand is theo boss' new track bike. it's more aero than the bt it replaces due not only to its shape but also its slippery finish. the thing cost half a million euro to develop and produce. this is a race bike that pushes things to a whole new level and is so much more interesting than most of the absurdities that pass as "exotic" in our small bike world.

anyway,

obtuse

BumbleBeeDave
11-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Beautiful piece of machinery. Absolutely simple and suited perfectly to its purpose. Looks like it's sprinting even when it's standing still. :beer:

BBD

Simon Q
11-28-2006, 09:27 PM
I wonder if this one was also developed by BT in Australia and badged Koga?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/wtc06/tech/?id=track_worlds_bikes/MS011

Details. You are right Obtuse: gorgeous.

SponsorsWanted
11-28-2006, 10:04 PM
That's the bike it's intended to replace. Koga was sick of it's riders riding obviously rebadged frames.

Louis
11-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Koga was sick of it's riders riding obviously rebadged frames.

IMO that's a pretty poor design criterion, but then again, I'm an engineer, not a marketing guy. Designing something so distinctive that the other guy's bike can't be made to look like it is not reason enough in my book, and a good way to end up with something funky.

Louis

Simon Q
11-28-2006, 11:48 PM
It may be a Koga, and it is very nice, but it is not like they have reinvented the wheel:

http://www.biketechnologies.com/content/view/26/71/lang,en/

cs124
11-29-2006, 01:01 AM
That's the bike it's intended to replace. Koga was sick of it's riders riding obviously rebadged frames.

Was at the Oceania Track Championships in Melbourne last weekend.

Saw BTs badged as: Bianchi, GT (***?), Raceline (domestic brand) as well as several with no stickers and loads with their correct livery.

BT seem to be offering an excellent price/perfomance ratio at the moment, or maybe it's that you can actually buy one...

CNote
11-29-2006, 01:20 AM
so much more than the appalling $25,000 temple that does nothing except further the notion held by people not smart enough to be rich that the truly rich are incredibly stupid and lacking in any taste...

...the [Koga] cost half a million euro to develop and produce.

Interesting juxtaposition. This one is also "expensive, tacky and functionally irrellevent [sic]" to the 99.9% of people who ride bicycles.

SponsorsWanted
11-29-2006, 02:29 AM
IMO that's a pretty poor design criterion, but then again, I'm an engineer, not a marketing guy. Designing something so distinctive that the other guy's bike can't be made to look like it is not reason enough in my book, and a good way to end up with something funky.
No, I think you misunderstood. Koga made it so thier riders would stop riding rebaged BT frames, not because of looks but so that thier bikes would match (or improve on) the BT'sperformance, so that Koga's rider's would no longer need to ride a rebaged frame to keep up in the technological race.

davids
11-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Interesting juxtaposition. This one is also "expensive, tacky and functionally irrellevent [sic]" to the 99.9% of people who ride bicycles.
A Honda IndyCar might meet the same criteria vis a vis 99.9% of people who drive automobiles. That doesn't make it an Escalade with solid gold dubs. I, for one, can see the difference.

This BT bike is a tool for best track racers in the world, and it's been engineered, at substantial cost, for its purpose. The Temple Croix de Tete (or whatever the feck it was called) is a gilded lily, at best, for people with more money than sense. atmo.

catulle
11-29-2006, 08:45 AM
mp...

mosca
11-29-2006, 11:51 AM
so much more than the appalling $25,000 temple that does nothing except further the notion held by people not smart enough to be rich that the truly rich are incredibly stupid and lacking in any taste. the thing is like cadillac covered in diamonds.....expensive, tacky and functionally irrellevent.

LOL :D

btw, any engineering types out there who can explain that top tube shape? curious.

Samster
11-29-2006, 10:22 PM
i remember driving from Boston to St. Louis when we moved.

i had my bike on a thule roof rack. my car back then had a mpg readout that never made it past 27 mpg for pretty much the entire drive. normally, the car would get anywhere from 35-45 on the highway.

drag matters. nice bike. the temple is pointless. not even deserving of proper noun treatment imo.