PDA

View Full Version : Rebranded Litespeed frames

sloar
03-17-2019, 02:13 PM
Are there any differences in rebranded frames or is it just decals? I have a Basso Gap made by Litespeed and was wondering the difference between others like the Merckx TI frame other than value. Thanks.

cribbit
03-17-2019, 02:15 PM
I hope you find a good answer, this has mystified me for a while. OEM > branding imo but branding is darn powerful in the market.

tuscanyswe
03-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Without any knowledge to this particular outsourcing i would imagine there very well could be differences.

Much like i dont think all frames produced for various companies by lynskey are all the same or a model of lynskeys regular line up. Tweaks and stuff im sure were pretty common in order to seperate their model from the rest of the bunch.

ColnagoC59
03-17-2019, 03:37 PM
i'm guessing that litespeed is making a bike to basso gaps spec so it very well could be different. also basso may be contract out a different quality control mechanism than what litespeeed does for itself. it's not unusal for bike companies to make all or part of someone else's bikes. i believe seven cycles and some other shops do this as well.

dave thompson
03-17-2019, 06:37 PM
While some frames may simply be re-branded, others are made to a brand’s specifications. A good example is the Serotta made, Schwinn branded Ti Paramounts.

NYCfixie
03-17-2019, 07:02 PM
Are there any differences in rebranded frames or is it just decals? I have a Basso Gap made by Litespeed and was wondering the difference between others like the Merckx TI frame other than value. Thanks.

It depends how old they are. If you are asking about those 90s frames, then the Basso and Mercx versions were as good as what the "original" Litespeed created under their own brand - in the same time period - but geo may be different.

While some may think that Litespeed and Lynskey (and what they make under contract for others) today are not very good, I always ask compared to what?

sloar
03-17-2019, 07:07 PM
It depends how old they are. If you are asking about those 90s frames, then the Basso and Mercx versions were as good as what the "original" Litespeed created under their own brand - in the same time period - but geo may be different.

While some may think that Litespeed and Lynskey (and what they make under contract for others) today are not very good, I always ask compared to what?

It’s an older model.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/sloar1070/F6B64952-1CBA-4648-8EA6-BB773DAC4060_zpsjlopczqz.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/sloar1070/media/F6B64952-1CBA-4648-8EA6-BB773DAC4060_zpsjlopczqz.jpg.html)

berserk87
03-17-2019, 07:23 PM
I have a close friend that has a Merckx Ti made by Litespeed. I am 99% sure that Litespeed made it to Merckx's geometry specs.

NYCfixie
03-17-2019, 07:57 PM
Have not seen one in years but yes, and as stated earlier, that is a litespeed made under contract and probably only differs in geo and decals. Those were great riding and fun bikes for the times. That probably dates to the early 90s. It has those bullet ends that Lynskey (founder of Litespeed) still uses on a few of its current bikes.

They make really fun townie bikes today if you swap in a flat bar. Straight black bar in a silver quill stem for extra bonus points and keep the DT shifters or you lose the entire look.

It’s an older model.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/sloar1070/F6B64952-1CBA-4648-8EA6-BB773DAC4060_zpsjlopczqz.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/sloar1070/media/F6B64952-1CBA-4648-8EA6-BB773DAC4060_zpsjlopczqz.jpg.html)

oldpotatoe
03-18-2019, 05:23 AM

Depends but the Litespeeds made by Lynskey, before Lynskey left, like Merckx, were to Eddy's spec..Far Superior Italian threaded BB and horizontal dropouts, as examples. Great frames.

sloar
03-18-2019, 05:58 AM
Depends but the Litespeeds made by Lynskey, before Lynskey left, like Merckx, were to Eddy's spec..Far Superior Italian threaded BB and horizontal dropouts, as examples. Great frames.

Mine has the Lynskey signature.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/sloar1070/924F8C63-0262-4322-829B-6FADD748F866_zpslntx2emk.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/sloar1070/media/924F8C63-0262-4322-829B-6FADD748F866_zpslntx2emk.jpg.html)

zap
03-18-2019, 09:13 AM
edit

It has those bullet ends that Lynskey (founder of Litespeed) still uses on a few of its current bikes.

Those bullet caps, if not welded and or finished properly, can rip. Inspect regularly.

If I'm not mistaken, one Merckx Litespeed built ti frame had nice horizontal rear drop outs....EX model? Also ovalized tube(s).

bigbill
03-18-2019, 09:24 AM
I had a Basso Ti that was basically a rebranded and polished Litespeed Classic. Decent bike, shined like a bumper on a Buick.

Mark McM
03-18-2019, 10:10 AM
From what I've seen re-branded Ti frames made by Litespeed often were made with different features and specifications, but generally had Litespeed level of build quality. In contrast, there were many re-branded Ti frames by Sandvik that had serious quality deficiencies.

johnniecakes
03-18-2019, 10:19 AM
I am curious, I absolutely think threaded bottom brackets are best, but is Italian threading better, in your opinion than BSA? If so why?

old_fat_and_slow
03-18-2019, 11:42 AM
...If I'm not mistaken, one Merckx Litespeed built ti frame had nice horizontal rear drop outs....EX model? Also ovalized tube(s).

Yes, the EX model. I have one, and still ride it regularly. (You can see it at the link below.)

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=90871&page=8

zennmotion
03-18-2019, 01:47 PM
From what I've seen re-branded Ti frames made by Litespeed often were made with different features and specifications, but generally had Litespeed level of build quality. In contrast, there were many re-branded Ti frames by Sandvik that had serious quality deficiencies.

AFAIK Sandvik manufactures Ti tubing, and tubing decals with their name on them, but has never built frames. Ti requires specialized (no pun intended) equipment, processes and skill sets, Oxygen-free during the weld process and no cold setting are obviously complicating factors. I think the entire pre-carbon, post-cold war industry kind of went through a painful learning curve with Ti. FWIW, sample size of one, I still occasionally ride a TST (one of the larger American- made re-branders) frame made of straight gauge Sankvik tubing and the welds, to my untrained eye, look at least as good as any Litespeed or Lynskey frame I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. But of course there's lots more to quality than precision welds, like design, tubing choice etc.

cribbit
03-18-2019, 02:13 PM
AFAIK Sandvik manufactures Ti tubing, and tubing decals with their name on them, but has never built frames. Ti requires specialized (no pun intended) equipment, processes and skill sets, Oxygen-free during the weld process and no cold setting are obviously complicating factors. I think the entire pre-carbon, post-cold war industry kind of went through a painful learning curve with Ti. FWIW, sample size of one, I still occasionally ride a TST (one of the larger American- made re-branders) frame made of straight gauge Sankvik tubing and the welds, to my untrained eye, look at least as good as any Litespeed or Lynskey frame I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot. But of course there's lots more to quality than precision welds, like design, tubing choice etc.

TST and Sandvik are often used interchangeably. I believe the distinction is Sandvik makes the tubes and TST does the welding into actual bikes, but I also believe TST is the primary welder of "Sanvik" bikes, or they are sibling companies. When someone says "this is a Sandvik frame" I take it to mean TST did the welding. When they provide tubing to other companies I almost never hear of it with the final product, only the actual welder.

I have never seen or heard of issues with TST frames. I've owned Fujis, Deans and others who rebranded them. In my experience they're not as light or subtly welded as the higher end brands but never any failures.

NYCfixie
03-18-2019, 04:09 PM
Can't find a picture but I had one of the Mongoose branded TST/Sanvik frames that I purchased on closeout from Nashbar. I road the heck out of it for several years until I sold it. They were square frames with 1" HT and DT shifters.

TST and Sandvik are often used interchangeably. I believe the distinction is Sandvik makes the tubes and TST does the welding into actual bikes, but I also believe TST is the primary welder of "Sanvik" bikes, or they are sibling companies. When someone says "this is a Sandvik frame" I take it to mean TST did the welding. When they provide tubing to other companies I almost never hear of it with the final product, only the actual welder.

I have never seen or heard of issues with TST frames. I've owned Fujis, Deans and others who rebranded them. In my experience they're not as light or subtly welded as the higher end brands but never any failures.

warren128
03-18-2019, 05:25 PM
Can't find a picture but I had one of the Mongoose branded TST/Sanvik frames that I purchased on closeout from Nashbar. I road the heck out of it for several years until I sold it. They were square frames with 1" HT and DT shifters.

I acquired one last fall for a great price from local CL. I usually like to start with a frameset, and then acquire the parts for a full build myself, but this was a complete titanium bike with Dura Ace 7700 parts so I couldn't resist. :)

Mine is a 1999 version and the frame is polished. The welds are beautifully done, as good as my Litespeed and Lemond Ti. I'm currently making a few parts changes to it, and then maybe I'll post some pics here.