PDA

View Full Version : Famous Group Rides - Input needed

aLexis
11-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Hey all you hardcore dudes and dudettes. My friend Ian is doing an article for Bicycling Magazine on famous group rides across the US. He has a few picked out to ride, but would like help recognizing some others. Below is his request. Please post up or contact Ian if you think your ride needs to be in there.

FROM IAN:
Friends! I need your help.

I'm working on a story for Bicycling Magazine about the nation's most
notorious group rides. Basically: These rides have been around for
decades; they have a slew of local characters that everyone knows by
name (or nickname); they're guaranteed to give you a workout; and if
you mention the ride to a cyclist in a different part of the country,
or even the world, there's a chance they'll know what you're talking
about.

I'll be riding a slew of these -- right now the Derby in PA, the
Gimbel's ride in NY, the Nighter' in Austin, and the Shootout in
Tucson are on my to do list -- as well as compiling a sidebar with
the top 50.

Please let me know if there is a ride in your area, or a group ride
you've done while traveling that is worthy of mention. I need to know
where the ride meets, who I could contact about it, and what to
expect from it (weekend warrior speed or pro-tour pace).

Also, feel free to forward this along. The bigger net I cast, the
better.

Thanks in advance.

- Ian Dille

c 703-626-9566

dauwhe
11-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Don't the Charles River Wheelman in Boston (crw.org) have a ride that's gone every Saturday for more than 500 Saturdays?

Dave

palincss
11-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Tosrv

stevep
11-28-2006, 05:33 PM
the last thing youll get out of me...
too many idiots already.

manet
11-28-2006, 05:38 PM
too many idiots already.

trade ya:

cyclesport, park ridge nj.
8am saturdays.
23 miles of mayhem.

A.L.Breguet
11-28-2006, 06:15 PM
trade ya:

8am saturdays.
23 miles of mayhem.

Departs Jersey City, 5:50 am. 85 miles of joy with 23 miles of mayhem in the middle. :banana:

Serotta PETE
11-28-2006, 06:31 PM
and Manet's company>>>>> :cool:
Departs Jersey City, 5:50 am. 85 miles of joy with 23 miles of mayhem in the middle. :banana:

stevep
11-28-2006, 06:38 PM
trade ya:

8am saturdays.
23 miles of mayhem.

anytime manet
let me know when you are up north of boston
sat am...sun easy ride
usually 3-4 hrs depends on the weather
great roads, modest hills. steady but firm pace.

Bill Bove
11-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Done the Shootout a couple of times. Great fun was had by all, all whose tongue's didn't get cought in the spokes. I definitely recommend it to anyone visiting Tuscon. Do the shootout on Saturday then "recover" doing Mt. Lemmon Sunday morning :crap:

Ken Robb
11-28-2006, 06:44 PM
It's not for me but "Swami's Ride" in Encinitas, CA??

flydhest
11-28-2006, 07:04 PM
Nottrott

manet
11-28-2006, 07:06 PM
anytime manet
let me know when you are up north of boston
sat am...sun easy ride
usually 3-4 hrs depends on the weather
great roads, modest hills. steady but firm pace.

is there coffee north of boston or
is it still double D's?

flydhest
11-28-2006, 07:20 PM
is it still double D's?

Son, you've said a mouthful.

manet
11-28-2006, 07:34 PM
Son, you've said a mouthful.

and for those with eyes correctly proportioned
to their stomach _ modest hills.

stevep
11-28-2006, 07:37 PM
is it still double D's?

no, there is coffee up here...
available at ride end.
not dds

neverraced
11-28-2006, 09:08 PM
hey dudes and dudettes...

enough said.

manet
11-28-2006, 09:12 PM

enough said.

?

aLexis
11-28-2006, 09:21 PM

enough said.

gentlepersons? :rolleyes:

Marburg
11-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Bay Area: Spectrum Ride?

Lanternrouge
11-28-2006, 09:58 PM
Sacramento's River Rides, both the Tuesday/Thursday and Saturday versions. Both versions are flat and relatively fast. The Tuesday/Thursday ride goes from cruising to warp speed upon crossing a metal bridge and pretty much stays that way for about 18k. The first half usually involves some heavy crosswinds, which you need to survive by riding in the gutter just to stay with the first group. Lots of Cat 2s have been shelled on that ride over the years.

While the Swami's ride is also famous, I don't think it's as good since the only continous hammer session part isn't that long in terms of mileage.

Ti Designs
11-29-2006, 05:15 AM
too many idiots already.

It's that no idiot policy that keeps your ride from being much more popular. I did like the rule about the guy who wins the state line buying coffee for all...

Steelhead
11-29-2006, 06:12 AM
I have heard that Durango Wheelmen, or the local Durango club whatever they are called has a few where you never know who might show up.....Ned Overend, etc...Same type of thing in San Diego, Boulder, etc...

And Alexis - what about Sweetish Hill Saturday mornings in Austin? I've seen whats his name there before.......

stevep
11-29-2006, 06:25 AM
It's that no idiot policy that keeps your ride from being much more popular. I did like the rule about the guy who wins the state line buying coffee for all...

until they declined your credit card for $11.00
a bitter day for ti...great victory...bitter defeat...

Kevan
11-29-2006, 07:56 AM
is a bit notorious here in Westchester Co.; it's too crazy for my liking. The group typically consumes the entire road lane, blocks traffic on major arteries, and one town has gone to war with the ride, if I’m not mistaken. Earlier this past season the group was pulled over for not stopping at an intersection. Police, during the summons process, threaten to confiscate bikes and take the rider's into the station if proper id wasn't presented then and there. Apparently, there was a frantic call made out to wives and SO's to come up to the town and bring id's, fearing their trikes were going to be thrown together into the back of an open bed truck, and possibly get damaged there or being held in some holding pen.

Anyway, the ride has an aggressive edge I prefer to avoid and there have been some pretty nasty accidents where riders have gone down due to road hazards along their route.

aLexis
11-29-2006, 08:16 AM
is a bit notorious here in Westchester Co.; it's too crazy for my liking. The group typically consumes the entire road lane, blocks traffic on major arteries, and one town has gone to war with the ride, if I’m not mistaken. Earlier this past season the group was pulled over for not stopping at an intersection. Police, during the summons process, threaten to confiscate bikes and take the rider's into the station if proper id wasn't presented then and there. Apparently, there was a frantic call made out to wives and SO's to come up to the town and bring id's, fearing their trikes were going to be thrown together into the back of an open bed truck, and possibly get damaged there or being held in some holding pen.

Anyway, the ride has an aggressive edge I prefer to avoid and there have been some pretty nasty accidents where riders have gone down due to road hazards along their route.

Thanks for the continued feedback. The description you wrote here Kevan sound a lot like the Tuesday Nighter here in Austin.

stevep
11-29-2006, 08:18 AM
the cel phone call to the police has become the bane of many rides...
"help, a large group of cyclists are slowing me down on the way to the dump...come and get 'em... "
which is not to say some rides dont get out of control...they sure do.

Doc Hollywood
11-29-2006, 08:30 AM
Don't the Charles River Wheelman in Boston (crw.org) have a ride that's gone every Saturday for more than 500 Saturdays?

Dave

I went on the 250, 300, 350, 400, and 500th ride as well as 200+ rides in between those milestones.

Out of the same start point, the "Tuesday Night World Championships" have been going on for many years. This is an all out race. It's pretty funny, there is not mention of the "ride" on any calendar or email list, but at 6 PM on the first Tuesday after the start of daylight savings time, 30 cyclists magically appear at the start point. Kind of like the Swallows of Capistrano.

Doc

RonW87
11-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Sometimes Bicycling's coverage extends to Canada, sometimes not (e.g. they included Montreal as one of the top bike cities a few years ago).

If Canada is included for these purposes, the Doughnut Ride in Toronto has a rich history. Leaves every Saturday and Sunday morning, summer and winter from central Toronto and winds its way north. The hammer goes down on a little rise once the built up areas are cleared. The pack can swell to over a hundred on a nice day.

Participants include many, if not most, of the local racers and occasionally Mike Barry, Dede Demet and others.

I think it used to be sanctioned by the Scarborough Bicycling Club. However, after somebody got killed one year, the club disbanded (not sure of details around this, can someone chime in?). Now its just a regular informal ride.

Ron

Tom Kellogg
11-29-2006, 09:13 AM
In case there are some who are interested in the history or in joining the bunch at some point ...

History:
Started in the winter of '06-'07 by Jack Simes and Dave Chauner as a fixed gear Sunday morning ride from the Velo out to a little diner in Temple (eastern suburb of Reading, Pa.) and back to the Velo. That ride morphed pretty quickly (under a year) into a regular Sunday morning and Wednesday evening training ride. For years, the ride traveled from the Velo over back farm roads out to Rt. 143 just north of Fleetwood, into Fleetwood, then a left on main street where Paul Pearson would attack the "field" and the fireworks would commence. The name of the ride became the "Fleetwood Derby" because of it's turnaround point and the way that the return trip has been ridden. After years of offending the citizens of Fleetwood and especially the local town cop, the turnaround point was changed to a connector road just east of Fleetwood. The ride had remained unchanged until last year when the "Trexlertown Bypass" construction forced a change in the last half mile of the ride. Before the change, the "finish line" has been the Cycledrome sign on Rt. 222. Hundreds of very high speed 6 and 8 abreast sprints occurred on that stretch of the highway. No one was killed, but that is just luck. Becky Quinn got closest to her maker a few years ago when she rear ended a car at about 36mph. The current finish line is on a back street which makes the run in much more difficult and tends to break up the sprint quite effectively. Much safer.

Scheduling:
Every Sunday morning @ 10:00 from the Lehigh County Velodrome, weather permitting.
Every Wednesday evening during daylight savings time at 5:30 except as light gets scarce late in the season. The start time then is a bit fluid. Some times around 5:00

Distances:
Under normal conditions, 31 miles. The ride is shortened as daylight shortens. The ride out is a bit over 18 miles and the return is a tad over 12.

Type of ride:
The way out: Double echelon, steady, average about 19-20 mph. Lead riders set pace and typically stay on the front for 1-3 miles.
The Way back: It's a race. It looks like a race, it works like a race and it is ridden like a race, but for the strongest folks, it is just a training ride. What this means is that folks get spit off the back on a regular basis all the way back, while the strong riders do a rotating paceline until only the strongest are left for the sprint. If there is no wind, the typical speed on the flats averages about 30-33 mph. The rollers can slow the pace down to 20 or so. When there is any tail wind, the flats can typically run up to 36-38.

Riders:
Anywhere from beginners to Div.1 pros. Almost all the rides have at least a few pros except during the middle of the race season. Mid winter rides can have as few as ten riders at the start while mid summer rides can get over 85 regularly. If you don't feel comfortable or safe in a very tight, fast moving bunch, you may want to just plan on sitting on for the ride out and then roll back with someone who knows the way. See y'all there.

atmo
11-29-2006, 09:28 AM
In case there are some who are interested in the history or in joining the bunch at some point ...

History:
Started in the winter of '06-'07...

?!??

fiamme red
11-29-2006, 09:44 AM
?!??He means 1906-1907. :p

stevep
11-29-2006, 09:51 AM
i knew kellog was old but i had no idea how old.
1906 huh?
phew.

Sandy
11-29-2006, 09:58 AM
i knew kellog was old but i had no idea how old.
1906 huh?
phew.

Yep. He is so old that one of his g's fell off. :)

Sand

fiamme red
11-29-2006, 10:12 AM
http://www.velogogo.com/GimbelsRide/HomePage

atmo
11-29-2006, 10:20 AM
that's a funny (http://www.velogogo.com/BILF/HomePage) site atmo -

Keith A
11-29-2006, 10:23 AM
There's a pretty well known ride out of Orlando that goes every Sunday. The guys that do this ride have their own website and they are known as The Windemere Roadies (http://www.windermereroadies.com/).

Here is the ride description from their website...

The Infamous Sunday Ride leaves from Windermere Elementary at 8:10am. Why 8:10am? I have no idea. It's just the way it is. :)

This ride is one of the biggest around. On a good day, we'll get 70+ riders of all different kinds of experience and levels. Anywhere from beginners, to weekend warriors, to triathletes, to racers. The ride varies in distance depending on the group you end up with.

The first 6 miles of the ride are usually very nice and social. On Marsh Rd the pace picks up to speeds of 24-30+ mph.

About 1 mile before US27, the racers will turn right at Hancock Rd en route to their brutal hill workout. Most of the rest of the groups, including the Roadies, will continue on to US27 to continue a different route, usually through Groveland. Please be careful near Hancock as some riders will be turning and other will not.

So whether you are a beginner or an experienced racer, the Sunday ride has something for you.

Good luck and enjoy!

Birddog
11-29-2006, 10:29 AM
I think the ride in Albuquerque that leaves Sandia Labs at noonish most week days is still happening.
I'd classify it more as a training ride. A friend who used to do it said it was a bona fide "death ride" . Kent Bostick and and boys really put the hammer down as they head E into the Sandias. Last man standing kind of ride is what I've heard. If it's still going then it has been around for a good while.

Birddog

fiamme red
11-29-2006, 10:31 AM
that's a funny (http://www.velogogo.com/BILF/HomePage) site atmo -This (http://www.velogogo.com/BILF/RichardSachs) is funny:

"By the way, does anybody else think Richard Sachs lifted the famous red and white paint scheme from equally beautiful De Rosa Neo Primato?"

atmo
11-29-2006, 10:40 AM
This (http://www.velogogo.com/BILF/RichardSachs) is funny:

"By the way, does anybody else think Richard Sachs lifted the famous red and white paint scheme from equally beautiful De Rosa Neo Primato?"

i'm watching that guy (http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bobbesrs/album/576460762315922031) closely atmo.

Tom Kellogg
11-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Sorry about that, it was winter of '76-'77.

Bittersweet
11-29-2006, 03:55 PM
I rode the Derby one Sunday probably May '96 or '95 when I was working in West Chester for two weeks. One of the Mavic guys took me. It was a blast. My experience resembles Tom K's description of the ride. An impressive group of riders. Pros with no helmets, hulking trackies, big group. It was very orderly on the way out, two abreast, just chatting away. I had no idea it was such a race on the way back. All of a sudden it was an explosion of activity.

I was riding a borrowed yellow Serotta with Zap shifting. Nice bike but for being way too small. I think it was a 58 or 60 and I ride at least a 62. I remember someone pointing out that the fit was terrible, maybe even Tom K. Luckily my fitness was OK and I didn't embarass myself, took my pulls, and rolled in admirably but not at the front. A really fun experience and by far the best group ride I've been on for speed and depth of field.

Bill Bove
11-29-2006, 04:09 PM
There's a pretty well known ride out of Orlando that goes every Sunday. The guys that do this ride have their own website and they are known as [URL=http://www.windermereroadies.com/]The Windemere Roadies

I was just up there last week for the first time in a couple of years for the Horrible Hundred, I had forgotten how nice that part of Florida is and was very happy to see that the developers haven't got to it yet.

sevencyclist
11-29-2006, 04:55 PM
The Noon Ride
Days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
Time: 12:00 PM
Meet: Old Page Mill Road, Palo Alto

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/weekly/morgue/2004/2004_09_08.riders08.shtml

Publication Date: Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Noon riders of the Loop
by Alex Doniach

Former Olympic runner Tom Laris joined the noon riders six years ago. After reading about the unofficial group of cyclists who rode a daily 22-mile loop through the hilly countryside of Palo Alto, Portola Valley and Woodside, he decided to pick up a bike and give it a try. He wasn't particularly nervous. At 58, he still exercised regularly, and his body was primed for physical challenges. The former track star had run the10,000 meters in the 1968 Olympic games, after all.

But, Laris hadn't anticipated the rigor of the ride.
"I couldn't even stay with them for the first mile," he said. "It took me six months to a year to finish the loop because it was so tough and I don't come from a cycling background." Today Laris, 64, usually doesn't finish all 22 miles with the pack, but still goes out almost every day.

"I don't do it for the high, I do it for the pain," he said. "I like the intensity and the challenge. I feel the pain the whole way through and I like going hard and testing my limits."

Laris isn't alone. Five days a week for the past 35 years, anywhere from 15-50 riders of all ages have regularly gathered on Old Page Mill Road, under the shade of the oak trees that pepper the surrounding brown hills. In a group with no monthly dues, weekly newsletter or even e-mail listerv, something about the course continues to draw participants.

"This is just a self-perpetuating group," said Rick Huff, a member for 22 years. "There's no organization and no one leading it. People just keep showing up."

Beginners beware: With a membership of more than 50 riders, and a roster that currently includes five former Olympians -- including Dylan Casey who rode with Lance Armstrong and cycled in the 2000 Olympic games -- the group defines "hardcore."

Although men make up a majority of the group, two women do come out for the ride. Two former Olympic athletes, that is. Both Linda Jackson, who competed for the Canadian team in the 1996 Olympic games and Karen Kurreck, who competed for the U.S. team in 2000, join the pack regularly.

Although the group's faces have changed in the past 35 years, the 22-mile "core route" has stayed the same. The ride begins on Old Page Mill, winds down to Arastradero, up to Canada and loops back to Page Mill. There's slight variation in the course and modifications have been made since the 1970s -- but not many.

The only thing that changes on a daily basis is the intensity. The pace hovers around 22mph, but depending on the zeal of "hammerheads" or front-runners of the group, the pace will crank up to 39 mph -- an explosive speed for all but the best riders.

Stewart Calhoon made the noon ride part of his daily routine 21 years ago. The local engineer, who counts Tour de France champion Armstrong as his inspiration, said he never tires of the route.

"I have this favorite strip on Manuela," he said. "Just before we get to Canada, there's a little winding area and we speed up to little sprints and I've enjoyed that part. If I were by myself, the ride would probably be more boring. But in a group, the little interactions and interchanges keep it interesting."

Calhoon, like Laris, began his cycling career with the noon riders as a novice. Today the 54-year-old rides about three days a week during his lunch break.

"At first there was no way I could keep up," he said. "One summer I made it my goal to finish the course with the group. By the end I could do it."

Calhoon, like many of his fellow riders, eventually started riding in local weekend races. With a number of opportunities for sprinting and counterattacking, the "core route" is well known in the racing circuit as a solid practice run for professional and non-professional cyclists alike. Famous riders such as Casey, Eric Hayden, and Roberto Gaggioli have all joined the pack at some time or other.

But, the group's popularity really doesn't extend beyond biking enthusiasts. Local drivers caught helplessly behind the pack have complained to the police for years. Not much, beyond issuing tickets to the riders, has been done though to deter the group's daily meetings.

"There have been complaints in the past," said Sergeant Jerry Quinlan of the San Mateo County Sheriff's Department. "Large groups of bicyclists are dangerous when they start to impede the dividing line in the road."

Quinlan credits a dip in recent complaints to a "meeting of the minds," he said. Cooperation from both riders and drivers has curtailed the number of calls he's received and moving violations he's had to issue to riders blocking the roads.

"I've always thought people should think of us as a big, slow moving vehicle," Calhoon said. "But unfortunately when you get a large group of riders on narrow roads, people get angry."

Calhoon and Huff agree that self-policing is part of what makes the group strong, though. No one wants a ticket; they just want the opportunity to ride.

"I crave that endorphin high," Calhoon said. "I just started this for fun, but then it got pretty serious. Once you start putting in a lot of miles, you get in good shape and you don't want to lose it."

Victor Askew, a cyclist for the past 20 years, agrees that once you start, it's hard not to get hooked. The first time he came out, he had on a pair of shorts and tennis shoes. It didn't take long for him to convert and sport the spandex suit.

"There is definitely form behind the fashion," he said. "It took me about three weeks before I went out and bought some cycling gear."

Today Askew, 47, rides about 300 miles a week and admits that life would be hard without cycling.

"I guess it's the feeling of satisfaction that draws me," he said. "It's a good feeling to know that at my age, I can still do it."

Whatever reason entices them to an hour of pain, riders will continue to show up at about five to noon. When the clock strikes 12, they're off.

"I wouldn't say it's a race," Laris said. "It's a lot of testosterone out there and it does get very competitive, but it's not exactly a race. It's intense and it's painful, but it's also enjoyable."

PanTerra
11-29-2006, 05:02 PM
The "Tuesday Nighter" in Austin, TX.

http://www.videofest.org/2006/schedule/details.html?show_id=5337

andy mac
11-29-2006, 06:48 PM
if you want to go international, the hell ride in melbourne australia.

tour riders, rage, deaths, cops trying to control 'em. ye ha!

http://www.bikenow.com.au/tac/hellride.htm

aLexis
06-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Ian's article is in this month's Bicycling. Thanks for everyone's input. And thanks to Paul Levine for the loaner bike on the Gimbel's (sp?) ride.

znfdl
06-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Most Boring Century in the East, New Years Day which consists of 33 laps around Hains Point in Washington, DC.

Too Tall
06-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Nobody mentioned the WORLD famous Maryland / Washington, DC "GOON Ride"???

This ride began in the 70's as an organized bicycle club ride. Soon abandoned as an "official ride" becuse it ran out of control. The ride leave about 2 hrs. before dark every evening during the summer on tue. and thurs. nights from the same location...about 1/2 mile from my house nuk nuk nuk :)

The ride is used as race training for many with lots of folks joining the ride during it's s. journey into DC over two 1/4 mile climbs before a sprint finish in Maryland.

The "world famous" monker comes from international mention in a number of foreign pubs. referencing the ride by name "GOON Ride" as the place for visiting pros and assorted nut jobs to find a fast race training ride.

The ride is so out of control often times enough that my race team and sponsoring shop club are told NOT to wear the team/shop jerseys least the ride be associated with anyone.

Announcments for changes in ride start times and other pert. details such as Local Law enforcement are sent to various local group e-mail lists.

My best pal Jimmy was the un-official leader of the pack for many many yrs. until he finally had to back off at the tender age of 53 due to heart problems. He went out with a bang however by leading the "Goons" out while smoking a large cigar :)

Goons in the Park...run hide.

goonster
06-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Nobody mentioned the WORLD famous Maryland / Washington, DC "GOON Ride"???.

"Goon ride", eh?

It's a bit far, but I may have to make that trek some time this summer. I may not be able to hang with y'all for very long, but I've got a little jaunt in a foreign land in August to prepare for, and should get used to riding alone in the dark in unfamiliar surroundings.

Too Tall
06-05-2007, 12:49 PM
Sounds ominous Goonster. I'll supply the blindfold and ankle chains for the ride if that helps?

TimB
06-05-2007, 02:07 PM
I used to love to monkey with the Goon racer-boys riding up to the ride start...I'd fall in with a small group and ride for a coupla miles before they realized I was riding a fixie and then they'd get p'od when they couldn't drop me so easily.

Besides ignoring all traffic signs, I think one thing that makes this ride so very dangerous is the vast range of abilities that show up. Some folks sucking air and barely able to ride a straight line in with some really skilled riders, and all of them flying along at high speeds...

TooTall - how many folks you know have suffered some serious injuries on this ride?

goonster
06-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Sounds ominous Goonster. I'll supply the blindfold and ankle chains for the ride if that helps?

Ominous, yes, but more of a death-by-pastry kind of ominous.

http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/Resources/pbp_misc/pastry/pastry_eric_sm.JPG

Kahuna
06-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Ah yes, the Gimbels ride! That ride has been going on every weekend since the `70s and perhaps earlier. I started doing it around 1983. It took me a whole season before I could finish the ride without getting dropped. Then for a decade I hardly missed a single weekend! It was like my home away from home. In March & April, we would do the Gimbels ride on Saturday, race Central Park (or Prospect Park) on Sunday, then drive back up to Yonkers and do the Gimbles ride after the race! Talk about getting some base miles!

Like Kevan says, Gimbels can be a a little crazy at times, but it's great training if you're racing and every once in a while some noteable cyclists have been known to show up.

I've seen my share of accidents and have crashed myself. One of the most horrific I remember was on a blistering hot summer day when a big Westchester velo rider went down right in the middle of the "Route 120 sign sprint". We must have been going 45mph when Charlie S. clipped the wheel in front of him and went down like ton-o-bricks. I was right next to him. Luckily no one else crashed, but I remember looking down and, get this, hearing his skin literally squeak as he skidded for 25 yards along the melting blacktop. To this day I still get the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it. The poor guy showed up at another training ride later that week bandaged from head to toe.

There have been other nasty crashes, confrontations, fights, Etc. However, most of the time the ride finishes without incident. It's intense and fun. The large pack of brightly dressed cyclists make for a very visible bunch that makes it easy to avoid trouble with traffic. I'm a little embarrased to admit this, but there's a bit of the "we rule the road" mentality on that ride. It's not right and no doubt that's exactly what upsets motorists and local residents, but what are you gonna do? The Gimbels ride for all it's lawlessness and faults, is still a bucketload of fun. I miss it!

-K