PDA

View Full Version : Shout out and shamelees plug for Johnny Coast

Drmojo
03-16-2019, 09:21 AM
I went to my 4th NAHBS yesterday and was most impressed by this guy and his craft. No name or logos on the frame!? A simple adoned head tube. Beyond classy and modest to boot.
And I have met many buillders: Mike De Salvo, Roland De La Santa, Sachs, Joe Breeze, etc etc etc
But this kid is my new favorite flavor.
If you go to the show today or tomorrow, check him out

likebikes
03-16-2019, 10:25 AM
yeah, been around awhile too.

Peter B
03-16-2019, 10:47 AM
Influenced by JPW. Lots of very nice, subtle details. The closer you look...

OtayBW
03-16-2019, 11:55 AM
Very nice lug work on the ST cluster. Is that braised and fileteded?

Peter B
03-16-2019, 12:48 PM
These two depict several variations of bi-lam techniques. The HT junctions on the green bike are classic bi-lam (fillet-brazed TT & DT to cut down HT lug, brazed lug-to-HT). The seat cluster employs brazed stays with fillet-brazed TT and a brazed seat binder 'lug' with a nicely-done cable hanger. Check out the details on the stems--brazed hangers and decaleur mounts. Really nice touches and very JPW.

I chatted some with Johnny. He's part of a framebuilders listserv in the NE and they meet at a builder's shop monthly to focus on an aspect of building or machining. Cool way to share tricks and skills. JPW is apparently part of the listserv group and a bit of a mentor. Johnny's been at it about 13 or 14 years so not exactly a newbie. Really nice guy too.

ceya
03-16-2019, 02:51 PM
Coast is a excellent guy.

Met him in the summer of 2005 at Track Star bike shop when they had his frameset in their window .

His framesets are getting better and he is willing to learn things he has not tried before on frames.

Bushwick, Brooklyn's own.

S/F,
Ceya!

charliedid
03-16-2019, 04:52 PM
Nice

I have zero interest in his bikes but I am really glad that people are carrying on the tradition. Beautiful.

doomridesout
03-16-2019, 09:16 PM
Man, that's a tidy front end. Thinking that stuff through is one of the tougher design challenges on custom bikes, IMO. Really cool work.

Mike V
03-16-2019, 09:46 PM
I got to talk to him also. His bikes to me are some of the best in the show. The cream bike he made the front derailleur clamp. Told me he wanted something that matched the old Campagnolo chevron logo. Both bike are his personal bikes.