PDA

View Full Version : Best tubeless valve?

Clancy
03-16-2019, 07:07 AM
When ever I set up tubeless, if there’s going to be a problem it’s usually at the valves. I can get a perfect seal around the rim bead but often end up with air escaping from around the valve no matter how tight I get it. I helped a friend set up some wheels using Muc Off valves and was impressed. The valves have a barrel shape to them rather than the cone shape that is found on Stan’s and other valves. It seem to seal up a lot better.

So my questions are, do you have problems with getting a seal around the valve? Any tricks that you use? Rubber O rings? ( I’ve thought of putting a short strip of tape over the valve hole for extra sealing. I always double wrap.) Have you found a particular valve that seals up best?

So what method do you use and preferred valve?

bigbill
03-16-2019, 08:38 AM
I just buy Stan's, never had any issues other than clogging and I keep a bent spoke in the toolbox for clearing that.

The valve stems that came with my Boyd wheels were particularly nice. The nut was oval shaped and easy to tighten by hand. They sell them on their site.

R3awak3n
03-16-2019, 08:49 AM
Thats interesting, I have always used whatever came with wheels and never had a problem. Oh I bought some pacentis once, no problem either.

Idris Icabod
03-16-2019, 09:20 AM
My Reynolds carbon mountain wheels came with the barrel shaped rubber on the back of the valve. During a ride it twisted slightly so wasn't sitting in the center channel of the rim. Lost tire pressure and effed the ride until I figured out what was going on. I switched to the Stans round valves after that.

kppolich
03-16-2019, 09:25 AM
Just went through this same thing. Never had any issues with the stans valves, but i needed something longer for my HED JET 6+s so I went with a cheap ebay find ($15)

They didn't seal worth a crap. The rubber wasn't supple enough to seal around the hole even with 2 layers of new stans on each wheel.
Don't get these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Tubeless-Presta-Alloy-Valve-Bike-Stems-80mm-Black-Removable-Cores/253945584611?hash=item3b20561be3:g:RngAAOSwvL1b~yB K&frcectupt=true

I ended up with this nice kit from Orange seal for 5 bucks more ($20) and it has been fantastic.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Seal-Versa-Valve-Tubeless-Valve-Stem-80mm-Pair/183263684653?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

simplemind
03-16-2019, 09:51 AM
I'm going to recommend the Orange Seal valves. I think they're just a bit higher quality. They have a larger sealing area to fit a wide variety of rim applications, and if they're too large you can just trim to fit.