PDA

View Full Version : Funding a Paralyzed Cyclist's Handcycle

srcarter
03-15-2019, 05:16 PM
The husband of a high school friend was paralyzed in an accident 8 years ago. They have started a GoFundMe campaign to purchase him a handcycle to allow him to get on the road again. They are in Austin, TX, and he has a goal of completing the MS150 ride on the new rig. I know some of their financial circumstances, and they have lived on very limited income during the past 8 years with lots of expenses from the accident and convalescence.

I contributed to the campaign, and thought there may be others here who might be willing to chip in to help.

https://www.gofundme.com/6vjmj7k

Bentley
03-15-2019, 06:45 PM
I ride the MS150, a few times each year, I sent some money

cmbicycles
03-15-2019, 07:20 PM
There are organizations out there that provide grants for adaptive sports you may look into. Kelly Brush foundation is one that I can think of.

sitzmark
03-15-2019, 08:58 PM
There are organizations out there that provide grants for adaptive sports you may look into. Kelly Brush foundation is one that I can think of.

Yes, do suggest he checks with KBF. That said, their foundation usually makes grants to aspiring competitive athletes who have gained an advanced skill set or have demonstrated special promise. KBF gets far more requests than they can possibly fund, so unfortunately they have to make difficult choices.

Also check with organizations like Northeast Passage to see if they have equipment they are retiring. Unfortunately adaptive equipment is expensive - partially due to the liability insurance manufacturers must carry.

I’m involved with an adaptive program and would like for us to be able to rent equipment outside of our free programming, but we haven’t yet reached sufficient capacity to a acquire and maintain “extra” equipment. Other programs might be able to offer equipment use/rental while an athlete seeks funding for his/her own.