PDA

View Full Version : Another Interesting Useful Bike design. Live carless.

Ralph
03-14-2019, 01:23 PM
Forgive me if this has already been posted.

https://www.convercycle.com/home

Pastashop
03-15-2019, 01:59 AM
Saw this on another list, methinks, but nice anyhow. I am normally conservative wrt stable, dominant designs like the bicycle, but I kinda like it. More practical things like this would be great, I’m even warming up to the idea of electric assist...

...and more bike-friendly infrastructure, please. (So, like, if anyone in Michigan knows how/what to introduce in the legislature, I’d vote for it and put more tax dollars toward it. Just sayin’)

Nomadmax
03-15-2019, 04:44 AM
I don't have E assist bike but it's not out of the question for me. IMO, that bike screams for some kind of E assist, it could be more useful.

sokyroadie
03-15-2019, 05:06 AM
Price:

Standard - $1244.00 USD - 26 ordered
Electric - $1584.00 USD - 74 ordered

Pretty reasonable up-charge

charliedid
03-15-2019, 05:32 AM
I wish them luck but fail to see the appeal. It seems to be compromised on virtually every point.

_ Not enough cargo space to keep me from riding a touring bike with panniers.

_ No child carrier

_ Pivoting designs always scream weak point and problems.

_ Kickstand not robust enough.

_ Wheelbase is way too long.

Rear end acts a bit like a Brompton but does not lock in place. What happens when I lift it? Does the rear wheel flop?

Also many car free people in big cities live in situations where storage is an issue for a bike this big. I sold cargo bikes in Chicago for a few years and it was always an issue. Anyway I like that they are thinking differently and wish them great success and it will be interesting to see the design evolve.

gemship
03-15-2019, 05:59 AM
Ahh another take on the convert a bike to a cargo bike deal. There was another thread on this forum months ago with a set up that didn't fold but it hooked up to the front fork after the front wheel was removed. It had it's own wheel and I believe you could also bolt on a centerstand/kickstand to it. It also had its own front brake with hardware to hook it up to the bikes front brake line.