PDA

View Full Version : SON Delux SL--Connectorless questions

jtakeda
03-13-2019, 07:24 PM
Ive never seen a connectorless dynamo in person and have a few questions.

I understand you need a special fork to use one and I understand the wiring is done inside the fork leg.

My question is more about the light/mounting.

How easy is it to remove the light if necessary? I assume the wires come from inside the fork leg and connect to the light through a port near the fork crown. If you were to damage your light is it a PITA to put a new one on?

Also have questions about general maintenance and longevity of the system.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

unterhausen
03-13-2019, 07:40 PM
I only recently found out that CoMotion refuses to put the SL wiring inside the fork, they are worried about rust or something.

I think most builders use connectors at the light end, and possibly before that too, so replacing the light isn't that big of a deal. Running new wires isn't that much of a problem either.

jtakeda
03-13-2019, 07:53 PM
I only recently found out that CoMotion refuses to put the SL wiring inside the fork, they are worried about rust or something.

I think most builders use connectors at the light end, and possibly before that too, so replacing the light isn't that big of a deal. Running new wires isn't that much of a problem either.

interesting.

So theres a connectorless dropout AND some sort of connectorless attachment at the light end.

unterhausen
03-13-2019, 08:10 PM
no, the light end uses connectors

donevwil
03-13-2019, 08:42 PM
The connection at the light is the same as a standard Son system, only the dyno connection to the wires at the dropout is unique. There's a thread across the hall with some builder level details, other than that the only issues I've heard of are loss of ground path on a well used fork due to corrosion of the steel LH dropout face (a stainless face or dropout is recommended as that provides a more reliable ground path for the hub).

jtakeda
03-13-2019, 08:51 PM
The connection at the light is the same as a standard Son system, only the dyno connection to the wires at the dropout is unique. There's a thread across the hall with some builder level details, other than that the only issues I've heard of are loss of ground path on a well used fork due to corrosion of the steel LH dropout face (a stainless face or dropout is recommended as that provides a more reliable ground path for the hub).

Interesting. Sounds like more trouble than it’s worth. I don’t have an account across the hall—I’ll take your word

donevwil
03-13-2019, 08:59 PM
Interesting. Sounds like more trouble than it’s worth. I don’t have an account across the hall—I’ll take your word

I'm kind of in the same boat, initially thought it might be nice for an upcoming custom, but with it's uniqueness, apparent need for specific construction details and obvious 2-3x cost wrt an SP it's a hard sell merely to make wheel removal easier.

palincss
03-14-2019, 06:11 AM
I'm kind of in the same boat, initially thought it might be nice for an upcoming custom, but with it's uniqueness, apparent need for specific construction details and obvious 2-3x cost wrt an SP it's a hard sell merely to make wheel removal easier.

If you've ever had a flat in the dark you might think more highly about making wheel removal easier -- especially if you've ever forgotten to remove the spade connectors and ripped the wires off the hub. But even if you didn't do that, reconnecting those connectors in the dark is no piece of cake.

As for cost, the SON Delux Widebody is the same price as the SON Delux Widebody SL.

unterhausen
03-14-2019, 06:48 AM
Interesting. Sounds like more trouble than it’s worth.
I'm sure a builder would charge extra for a fork with the contacts and wiring built in, but it's not a big deal once they are done. I think going forward, all my bikes are going to have the contacts built in.

But SON now sells coax connectors that fits on their spade lug hubs. Much easier to connect/disconnect. And they will survive an inadvertent disconnection during a hurried wheel change a lot better than the spade lugs.

steamer
03-14-2019, 10:19 AM
It seems to me that Shimano and SP dynohubs, and the type of connector they use, are so good, that for most of us, there is not much practical need to consider the expense of SON hubs and the potential use of their wireless dropout connector thingamajig.

If you want to have a steel fork built and you love the polish and performance of a SON hub, then go for it. But it's probably low on most people's priority list.

You can get reliability for less by using a Shimano or SP hub. You still have an ugly wire running down the fork blade, but for most of us, that's forgivable.

I have never had a problem with anything being damaged when I have taken off the front wheel (Shimano hub) after forgetting to disconnect the wiring from the hub. And I've probably done that at least a dozen times over the years.

jtakeda
03-14-2019, 10:25 AM
It seems to me that Shimano and SP dynohubs, and the type of connector they use, are so good, that for most of us, there is not much practical need to consider the expense of SON hubs and the potential use of their wireless dropout connector thingamajig.

If you want to have a steel fork built and you love the polish and performance of a SON hub, then go for it. But it's probably low on most people's priority list.

You can get reliability for less by using a Shimano or SP hub. You still have an ugly wire running down the fork blade, but for most of us, that's forgivable.

I have never had a problem with anything being damaged when I have taken off the front wheel (Shimano hub) after forgetting to disconnect the wiring from the hub. And I've probably done that at least a dozen times over the years.

I whole heartedly agree. I have a coax on my current Son hub and love it as it makes the two spade connectors a lot less annoying.

I’m just considering the options no matter how ridiculous just to wrap my head around the potential benefits/short comings.

I saw photos of a custom build with a connector less fork dropout and the builder also made a connectorless terminal at the fork crown brake bridge area where the light attaches and completes the circuit. I thought that was very neat but wasn’t sure if it was standard or DEEP custom.

steamer
03-14-2019, 10:34 AM
I whole heartedly agree. I have a coax on my current Son hub and love it as it makes the two spade connectors a lot less annoying.

I’m just considering the options no matter how ridiculous just to wrap my head around the potential benefits/short comings.

I saw photos of a custom build with a connector less fork dropout and the builder also made a connectorless terminal at the fork crown brake bridge area where the light attaches and completes the circuit. I thought that was very neat but wasn’t sure if it was standard or DEEP custom.

For a no expense spared / deep custom that had a steel fork, I'd criticize you if you DIDN'T go with a connectorless SON. :)

You can't win with this crowd.

jtakeda
03-14-2019, 10:43 AM
For a no expense spared / deep custom that had a steel fork, I'd criticize you if you DIDN'T go with a connectorless SON. :)

You can't win with this crowd.

Price vs value is always a concern for me.

Connectorless could be $500 more up front but if the benefits are that great it could be worth it. In this specific case it seems it’s more complicated and only worth a couple extra oohs and ahhhs.

If I pull the trigger I’m already getting enough oohs and don’t need to pay extra for more