PDA

View Full Version : Giro products - still buying them?

dbnm
03-11-2019, 11:31 AM
It's now been a little more than a year since the awful Parkland FL school shooting.

Shortly after, there was a lot of backlash against Giro because they are owned by a company that also makes guns and bullets.

Just wondering if you have purchased any Giro products in the last year and/or if you sold any of your Giro products because of who owns them (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giro_(company)).

icepick_trotsky
03-11-2019, 11:32 AM
I haven't thrown anything out, but I've stopped buying new. Switched to POC for helmets.

I'm having a hard time picking a new shoe, though.

thegunner
03-11-2019, 11:38 AM
I haven't thrown anything out, but I've stopped buying new. Switched to POC for helmets.

I'm having a hard time picking a new shoe, though.

fizik fits a lot like giro in my experience.

Jaybee
03-11-2019, 11:39 AM
I've purchased 1 ski helmet and 1 pair of cycling shoes from them since Parkland. The ski helmet was bought on top of the mountain at Keystone, and the entire proceeds went to TBI research. The shoes were 75% off as Performance circled the drain.

I understand the Vista Sports boycott and believe in responsible consumerism, to whatever extent that can actually exist, but ultimately I'm not sure the fine folks going to the office everyday at Giro had any say in whether a guns and ammo company bought them, and I'm guessing many of them weren't happy about it either.

I'd be curious about the larger trends with respect to Giro sales over the past couple years.

AngryScientist
03-11-2019, 11:53 AM
I've purchased 1 ski helmet and 1 pair of cycling shoes from them since Parkland. The ski helmet was bought on top of the mountain at Keystone, and the entire proceeds went to TBI research. The shoes were 75% off as Performance circled the drain.

I understand the Vista Sports boycott and believe in responsible consumerism, to whatever extent that can actually exist, but ultimately I'm not sure the fine folks going to the office everyday at Giro had any say in whether a guns and ammo company bought them, and I'm guessing many of them weren't happy about it either.

I'd be curious about the larger trends with respect to Giro sales over the past couple years.

agree with this.

giro make my favorite, most comfortable cycling shoes, however, i have quite a few pairs in rotation and reserve, so i dont really need to buy or havent needed to buy lately.

cdimattio
03-11-2019, 11:57 AM
CamelBak falls into the same category as a sister subsidiary to Giro.

In the last few weeks REI and other retailers have started their own boycotts of Giro, CamelBak and Bolle.

Tickdoc
03-11-2019, 11:58 AM
yep. Only have a few items, but their lightweight wool gloves are a fav this time of year.

jtbadge
03-11-2019, 12:00 PM
"Vista Outdoor to sell Bell, Giro and Blackburn, along with firearms brands" (https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry-news/2018/05/01/vista-outdoor-sell-firearms-and-sports-brands-including-bell-giro-and#.XIahwS2ZO01)

This was announced in May and still hasn't happened, somehow? Seems like those bikes that show up in the PSA thread at 3x market value. "I tried to sell it, I swear!"

Also, I bought a pair of Giro gloves, because that's what my LBS carries.

zzy
03-11-2019, 12:04 PM
I won't buy Giro products anymore because I was told my 2015 Air Attack helmet is now a paper weight because Giro doesn't have any extra male buckles for them, which slip off too easily. But they offered me 15% off a new one!

AngryScientist
03-11-2019, 12:05 PM
I won't buy Giro products anymore because I was told my 2015 Air Attack helmet is now a paper weight because Giro doesn't have any extra male buckles for them, which slip off too easily. But they offered me 15% off a new one!

man, a helmet must make a pretty crappy paperweight too!

zzy
03-11-2019, 12:10 PM
but it's so aero!

gdw
03-11-2019, 12:15 PM
I have not purchased any Giro products but bought a milspec CamelBak and reloading supplies and ammunition from Federal, CCI, Speer, and RCBS. I don't own an AR or shoot anything but paper and do not support the boycott of a corporation that owns companies that produce goods used by our military, police, and legal firearm owners just because it is PC.

doomridesout
03-11-2019, 12:16 PM
Vista did not sell Giro, after making a showy announcement about it. I feel bad for the people who work at Giro, who are industry lifers who just want the industry lifestyle and are caught in the middle, but I’m done.

choke
03-11-2019, 12:19 PM
I won't buy Giro but that's for other reasons. The other Vista companies, sure, no problem. But I am boycotting REI because of their Vista boycott.

chiasticon
03-11-2019, 12:20 PM
I haven't thrown anything out, but I've stopped buying new.+1

This was announced in May and still hasn't happened, somehow?apparently not anticipated until the end of fiscal year 2020.

itsneilb
03-11-2019, 01:09 PM
I finally retired all my giro shoes and moved on to Sworks

ElvisMerckx
03-11-2019, 01:10 PM
I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this boycott. Wouldn't enforcement and/or focused legislation fix the gun problem faster than boycotting cycling products? And, don't the police and military need guns and bullets?

jtbadge
03-11-2019, 01:36 PM
I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this boycott. Wouldn't enforcement and/or focused legislation fix the gun problem faster than boycotting cycling products? And, don't the police and military need guns and bullets?

Well, for one, the NRA has lobbied Congress so hard for the last few decades that has been next to impossible for any proposed legislation to make it to a vote.

Also, if anything, the US police and military need less guns and bullets. Businesses existing to print money off the disgusting murder of (disproportionately black) civilians in the streets of America and the military's intervention across the world is inhumane.

William
03-11-2019, 01:40 PM
One and only warning, keep this about buying giro yes or no. Veering into political/gun control vs gun rights will get it shut down and possible timeouts so don't go there.

William

Red Tornado
03-11-2019, 01:51 PM

Couldn't agree more. Well thought-out, reasonable opinion.

pasadena
03-11-2019, 02:17 PM
Are Giro boycotters also boycotting
Amazon. ...
Apple. ...
FedEx. ...
HotelPlanner. ...
Roku. ...
Vinesse Wines. ...
Vista Outdoor. ...
YouTube.

cgolvin
03-11-2019, 02:20 PM
This may have prompted David's original post (just a guess)...

Rapha's founder posted today (https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/stories/a-club-like-no-other) about RCC and mentioned some upcoming RCC products including a new Giro Aether helmet, which surprised me since after the revelation about Giro's ownership they made comments distancing themselves from Giro, and removed the helmets from in-store stock.

They developed the new shoes without relying on Giro so choosing them for branded RCC helmets seemed at odds with that positioning (though they still use CamelBak for their bidons).

I don't know anyone at Giro but, given that they originated in Santa Cruz, I think the previous comment speculating about internal displeasure over their acquirer is likely true. Personally I'm happy that my Giro lace-ups have proven very durable so I don't have to think about replacements.

tbike4
03-11-2019, 02:22 PM
fizik fits a lot like giro in my experience.

Good to know. I too am having a hard time picking a new Giro shoe. The 3 year old Factor was great. I am not into lacing my bike shoes. I tried them and sent them back.

cgolvin
03-11-2019, 02:23 PM
Are Giro boycotters also boycotting
Vista Outdoor. ...

implicitly yes, and I would assume explicitly as well.
AFAIK the other companies listed are not owned by firms that manufacture and sell firearms & ammunition, nor do they do so themselves. I miss the connection.

jtbadge
03-11-2019, 02:24 PM
implicitly yes, and I would assume explicitly as well.
AFAIK the other companies listed are not owned by firms that manufacture and sell firearms & ammunition, nor do they do so themselves. I miss the connection.

Selling ads and lobbying are about the only connection I could muster, but those are really a stretch. Not at all comparable to manufacture of firearms and ammunition.

biker72
03-11-2019, 02:47 PM
I'm not boycotting Giro but never did have much of their stuff.

bward1028
03-11-2019, 03:11 PM
Just bought a new Giro helmet from REI. Dividend, plus gift card, plus 25% off sale items = $5 helmet

kramnnim
03-11-2019, 03:18 PM
If someone had a stockpile of new Giro Prolight helmets in size Medium and no longer wants to use them, I would buy them.

ScottW
03-11-2019, 03:35 PM
Bought a Giro Synthe helmet last fall. Had no idea who owned the brand until reading this thread today, but it would not have swayed my decision considering I also buy guns and ammo from companies that make guns and ammo.
I think I own a pair of Giro gloves, and one jersey. Serviceable quality stuff found at sale prices. Their shoes just don't fit me as well as Lake wides or Sidi Megas.

Bruce K
03-11-2019, 03:37 PM
Still buying Camelback, and would buy a Giro product if it fit my needs.

BK

Elefantino
03-11-2019, 03:37 PM
I buy (and sold) Giro because it makes good stuff. Also, I am for much stricter gun laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unterhausen
03-11-2019, 04:01 PM
I'm boycotting Camelback because they sued osprey and as a result, Osprey had to change the size of the fill opening in their bags. But the only thing I have ever bought from Camelback was a water bottle, which I don't really like anyway.

Otherwise I would probably still buy Giro if they are still being sold by my LBS. Hopefully Giro gets sold.

jmoore
03-11-2019, 04:02 PM
I just got a new Giro Syntax helmet. It's great. My first Giro helmet.

I don't care if they are owned by some conglomerate that also owns firearms manufacturers.

parris
03-11-2019, 04:17 PM
I may get into trouble with this and if the mods want to delete the post and give me a time out so be it.

I don't see the why in boycotting Giro or any other cycling related product where Vista Outdoors is the holding company. Firearms are not evil. The evil are the POS's that do these horrible things with a firearm. The debate of "nobody need a gun like that" in my opinion is there quite honestly political theater. Guns are bad is an easy subject to get behind especially when not all but many people are lazy enough to look no further than the latest news story from any number of outlets.

If someone's for or against additional gun control at least do enough homework to have more than the latest sound bite from either side. I'm a lifelong gun owner. I carry a firearm daily in my career as well as off duty.

My opinion is that we don't need anymore laws due to the fact that it's been proven multiple times that the vast majority of these sick twisted POS's that do this type of crime either lie on the 4473 and don't get denied, their status doesn't get input into the NICS system, or they get their firearm(s) through other less than legal means.

Laws are only as good as the system's that are actually used to implement them. Take a good look at the majority of POS's that have perpetrated the lions share of mass shootings over the years and how they got their firearms.

I'm pro gun unapologetically. I also believe that our greatest gift as a country is the ability to have differing views and beliefs.

Instead of boycotting Giro or the other companies owned by Vista why not boycott Specialized given their attack on businesses within the sport that we all love so much?

Parris George

unterhausen
03-11-2019, 04:40 PM
Imagine yourself on the other side of this political divide, the majority of people want stronger gun control and yet we somehow have a system where we can't get it. If we can effect change with our spending, then that is what we are going to do.

parris
03-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Fair enough Unter. What gun control measures?

makoti
03-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Fair enough Unter. What gun control measures?

And here we go...

Jaybee
03-11-2019, 05:03 PM
I'm boycotting Camelback because they sued osprey and as a result, Osprey had to change the size of the fill opening in their bags. But the only thing I have ever bought from Camelback was a water bottle, which I don't really like anyway.

Otherwise I would probably still buy Giro if they are still being sold by my LBS. Hopefully Giro gets sold.

When did this happen? I don’t think it worked - osprey moved to a hydrapak style foldover top design that is vastly superior to trying to close a full camelbak without crossthreading the cap. A definite point in ospreys favor.

unterhausen
03-11-2019, 05:06 PM
it was a couple of years ago. That threaded cap is horrible, can't think of how many times I have gotten wet shorts from not getting the cap on enough. I should get a new bladder.

William
03-11-2019, 05:12 PM
And we are done here.

Buy Giro, don't buy Giro...What ever floats your boat.

W.