PDA

View Full Version : Best way to spread seat rails a mm or two

54ny77
03-10-2019, 02:05 PM
I need to spread an Aliante seat rail by a couple of mm to fit the seatpost cradle of a Nitto seat post. I'd prefer this route vs. hoping the clamping/pull force of the single binder bolt will "pull" the rails apart just slightly, i.e., spread them.

Suggestions?

54ny77
03-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Edit: nevermind. Turns out it didn't need much tightening force on the post bolt to spread the seat rails apart. Fits just right in the cradle.

Learned something new today....:cool:

ntb1001
03-10-2019, 02:28 PM
I’m assuming that “special” build is almost done??

Looking forward to the finished pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54ny77
03-10-2019, 02:44 PM
hey there ntb....yeah i'm getting there. bit by bit...

had to file off the little tab on the problem solver seatpost binder bolt today, which i bought as a test case (to ensure right sizing). the right size is 8x19mm, so now i can hunt for a real n.o.s. campy bolt and pay 5x as much for basically the same thing....:p

ultraman6970
03-10-2019, 03:18 PM
Thats the way,,, just force it in ;P

Edit: nevermind. Turns out it didn't need much tightening force on the post bolt to spread the seat rails apart. Fits just right in the cradle.

pdmtong
03-10-2019, 07:08 PM
I need to spread an Aliante seat rail by a couple of mm to fit the seatpost cradle of a Nitto seat post. I'd prefer this route vs. hoping the clamping/pull force of the single binder bolt will "pull" the rails apart just slightly, i.e., spread them.

Suggestions?

typically just tightening the bolt will pull the rail into the cradle if its at least 1/3-1/2 way there already. might need help pulling the rails closer if the gap is more. basically just tighten and see how its going...help as needed.