PDA

View Full Version : Wahoo vs Lezyne

pdxharth
03-10-2019, 10:22 AM
Hi folks,

I know there are endless “which gps?” threads on here, and the current one inspired this one.

We each have our specific itches to scratch and issues to overcome. Mine are that I want mapping for brevets and gravel road touring, don’t care about Strava, but I do care a lot about battery life.

Also, it is important to note that I do not have a cell phone.

Wahoo gets a lot of love, but how does it compare to the Lezyne Mega XL? I can’t find much online that compares the two.

Thanks,
Harth

berserk87
03-10-2019, 11:13 AM
I know nothing about the Lezyne computer, but if you don't have a cel phone, the Wahoo will be difficult for you to manage. You can probably still use it out of the box, but setup is done through a phone app, which allows you to add your data (weight, FTP, heart rate zones, or whatever) and customize the fields that you wish to display on your computer. I'm not sure if Wahoo offers a way to do this without the phone app (maybe via a conventional computer/Mac?).

I don't know how dependent other computer options are on setup via a cel phone, but the Wahoo units certainly are.

Not to pick on you (not my intent here) but I would imagine that Wahoo figures it's pretty rare for someone not to have a cel phone these days. If you don't have one, I would recommend looking at options other than Wahoo.

parallelfish
03-10-2019, 11:26 AM
I know nothing about the Lezyne computer, but if you don't have a cel phone, the Wahoo will be difficult for you to manage. You can probably still use it out of the box, but setup is done through a phone app, which allows you to add your data (weight, FTP, heart rate zones, or whatever) and customize the fields that you wish to display on your computer. I'm not sure if Wahoo offers a way to do this without the phone app (maybe via a conventional computer/Mac?).

I don't know how dependent other computer options are on setup via a cel phone, but the Wahoo units certainly are.

Not to pick on you (not my intent here) but I would imagine that Wahoo figures it's pretty rare for someone not to have a cel phone these days. If you don't have one, I would recommend looking at options other than Wahoo.

A phone or tablet. I have no phone - works fine via my iPad.

pdxharth
03-10-2019, 11:40 AM
I have a newer iPad, so that is easy enough if it is just for set up. I also have an old iPhone, but it does not have cell service. I just use it for the camera, etc.

So if I only need the phone for setup, that much I can handle. If I need to have cell service out on rides, that is a deal breaker. This is what I don’t understand about the Lezyne. I emailed them but have not yet heard back.

parallelfish
03-10-2019, 11:46 AM
I have a newer iPad, so that is easy enough if it is just for set up. I also have an old iPhone, but it does not have cell service. I just use it for the camera, etc.

So if I only need the phone for setup, that much I can handle. If I need to have cell service out on rides, that is a deal breaker. This is what I don’t understand about the Lezyne. I emailed them but have not yet heard back.

Mostly for setup, though some features require an active phone, such as live tracking on Strava, or being able to track the location of riding companions.

makoti
03-10-2019, 12:58 PM
Without a cellphone, I'd move away from Wahoo. The ease of setup comes from using the phone instead of menus. You do not need it paired on the road, though.

parallelfish
03-10-2019, 01:42 PM
Without a cellphone, I'd move away from Wahoo. The ease of setup comes from using the phone instead of menus. You do not need it paired on the road, though.

???
I don’t follow this at all. iPad works just fine for setup - same app on both.

makoti
03-10-2019, 03:11 PM
???
I don’t follow this at all. iPad works just fine for setup - same app on both.

An Ipad isn't what I'd call handy on the road. Want to change the screen on the fly? Sorry. Maybe when you get home. Want to make use of tracking features to send loved ones status updates? Sorry. Maybe when you get home.

parallelfish
03-10-2019, 03:34 PM
An Ipad isn't what I'd call handy on the road. Want to change the screen on the fly? Sorry. Maybe when you get home. Want to make use of tracking features to send loved ones status updates? Sorry. Maybe when you get home.

Believe that I addressed this previously, which is why I was not following your post. Any type of tracking will require cell service, regardless of computer brand.

Point is, I would not steer someone away from Wahoo due to the lack of a phone.

pdxharth
03-11-2019, 06:17 AM
As long as I don’t need cell service to start off or once moving, that’s good.

But it seems I would need cell service to change the route, is that right?

Is it the same for the Lezyne, does anyone know? I can’t get much feedback about that unit.

Are either of these available through QBP or other distributor, or do they sell directly to shops and consumers?

itsneilb
03-11-2019, 01:12 PM
I have been using the Wahoo bolt for a long time now, and the battery life has proven to be the best, I have had several Garmin Gps devices prior to owning the wahoo and none come close to the battery life of the BOLT.

keithreynolds
03-11-2019, 01:30 PM
In real world experience my Garmin 500 often has satellite issues. The most noticeable is anytime I take a trip where you move a significant distance say >1000 miles. The first time you wake it up it acquires just fine. Second time, you see the "Working..." screen forever. Basically you need to set it out for 30-60 minutes just so it can work through the satellite mappings. A reset can help but is not the end all be all.

Other times (such as yesterday) I turned it on and it acquires just fine after 1 week of not using it. Then it auto-shut off because I didn't get moving in time. Turn it back on and it will just not acquire; 4x restarts later and 5 minutes into the ride it acquired and removed the "Working..." screen.

The most frustrating part is that Garmin does nothing about this; I reported it years ago and no firmware updates ever solved it.

Does the Wahoo or Lezyne have any similar issues with relocation or satellite acquisition? I'm leaning towards getting a Wahoo.

gone
03-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Does the Wahoo or Lezyne have any similar issues with relocation or satellite acquisition? I'm leaning towards getting a Wahoo.

Nope, no issue at all. I've traveled extensively around the States and world with a Wahoo (an Elemnt in my case) and it has no problem at the new location.

It might take a bit longer (measured in seconds, not minutes) to acquire satellites because I believe it caches their location for faster startup but the difference is negligible.

Garmin? Bug fix? That's a laugh.

dem
03-11-2019, 02:29 PM
I reported a bug to Wahoo, the enabled debugging logging on my device, I uploaded the logs.. and 2 weeks later they released a new firmware with my bug fix.

Garmin response to bugs: "Send in your unit for replacement" - at least you get a new one back so you can sell it.

keithreynolds
03-11-2019, 04:06 PM
Nope, no issue at all. I've traveled extensively around the States and world with a Wahoo (an Elemnt in my case) and it has no problem at the new location.
Garmin? Bug fix? That's a laugh.

I reported a bug to Wahoo, the enabled debugging logging on my device, I uploaded the logs.. and 2 weeks later they released a new firmware with my bug fix.

Thanks to you both!

Alan
03-11-2019, 05:32 PM
I have posted here before to read everything on DC Rainmaker including the comments. I have a Bolt and am happy but your needs may be different than mine. I used to have a Garmin 800 that worked ok but I like the Bolt more.

I really like the ability to easily sync Ridewithgps to the Bolt. You may not care about this feature.

See link to DC below:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/sports-technology-buyers-guide-recommendations.html

Alan

scoobydrew
03-11-2019, 06:37 PM
My trusty Garmin Edge 500 let me down yesterday after discovering my ride file was completely missing. I used a file recovery tool and tried to fix the now corrupted file with limited success. Now I'm strongly considering buying a Bolt based on all the good experiences people have had.

robertbb
03-11-2019, 07:13 PM
In real world experience my Garmin 500 often has satellite issues. The most noticeable is anytime I take a trip where you move a significant distance say >1000 miles. The first time you wake it up it acquires just fine. Second time, you see the "Working..." screen forever. Basically you need to set it out for 30-60 minutes just so it can work through the satellite mappings. A reset can help but is not the end all be all.

Other times (such as yesterday) I turned it on and it acquires just fine after 1 week of not using it. Then it auto-shut off because I didn't get moving in time. Turn it back on and it will just not acquire; 4x restarts later and 5 minutes into the ride it acquired and removed the "Working..." screen.

The most frustrating part is that Garmin does nothing about this; I reported it years ago and no firmware updates ever solved it.

Workaround I've been using is to save your .fit files elsewhere and remove all old activities. It speeds satellite acquisition up significantly (not to mention overall responsiveness of the unit).

pdxharth
03-12-2019, 07:48 AM
Thanks Alan,
I have read those reviews, but since I have no experience with gps, I don’t understand some of the features or issues discussed.

It does seem the Bolt is great, but the Lezyne has so much better battery life and is a bit cheaper, so that is why I am comparing the two. Not as much info available on the Lezyne.

I think RWGPS will be my main way of using the device.

So I know I need a phone (or computer or iPad, I hope) to load a route on either, but once on a ride I only need the phone if I get off route, is that right? If I get back on the route using an old-fashioned map, will the device place me back on the route?

I have posted here before to read everything on DC Rainmaker including the comments. I have a Bolt and am happy but your needs may be different than mine. I used to have a Garmin 800 that worked ok but I like the Bolt more.

I really like the ability to easily sync Ridewithgps to the Bolt. You may not care about this feature.

See link to DC below:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/11/sports-technology-buyers-guide-recommendations.html

Alan

AngryScientist
03-12-2019, 07:58 AM
i have been considering replacing my garmin with something with a little better battery life also, and have looked at these two myself.

the way i see it, lezyne is not a "real" player in the computer space. i dont see much aftermarket support coming out of them in the form of patches, updates, fixes, etc as the computer gets a generation or more old. i think it's a much safer bet to go with wahu and have more consistent support for the device and software for a longer period of time.

that's just my perception of the two companies, and i'll probably buy a bolt here soon.

Lewis Moon
03-12-2019, 08:01 AM
I've said this before but...Garmin is just another large corporation with the fiduciary responsibility to provide the largest return to their shareholders. Halfassed, old tech design concentrating on glitzy bells and whistles, cheap build, lots of advertising and click happy websites, customer service that talks a good game but doesn't address root problems. The straightest, easiest, cheapest line to your money.
I had an edge 305 that lost power every time I hit a rough road, traded up for a 500 that dropped files until the "ears" fell off, bought an Elemnt and haven't looked back.

PS: I'm a field biologist and we also use Garmins for work. Often, if we are anywhere near cell towers, "Compass Girl" (Google Maps) is easier to use, easier to see and she will take you turn by turn...I once ended up on what could be charitably called a cow path, only to find that CG was taking me on a short cut that saved an hour of driving.

gone
03-12-2019, 08:12 AM
So I know I need a phone (or computer or iPad, I hope) to load a route on either, but once on a ride I only need the phone if I get off route, is that right? If I get back on the route using an old-fashioned map, will the device place me back on the route?
No, you don’t need a computer to load the route onto the Wahoo once it’s set up.

Basically, the steps are:
1. Use the app to set up the device including setting up wi-fi and linking it to your ridewithgps account.
2. Your ridewithgps routes will automatically sync.
3. From then on, simply put any new route you’re interested in under “routes” on your ridewithgps, go to the “route” page on the Wahoo. Press the “route” button (the left one) and it’ll connect with wi-fi and sync automatically.

And yes, if you go off route but then return to the route turn-by-turn will resume. This is one of the many things that the Garmin really sucks at. Although the “magenta line” for the route will show, it takes forever get things like “distance to next turn” right, if it ever does. No exaggeration, I’ve ridden 100K+, or longer, before it corrects itself and had numerous times where I finished my ride before it did. The Wahoo takes about 20 feet to figure out where you are on the route and correct all the data fields.

adampaiva
03-12-2019, 08:14 AM
Yes. You can do the initial setup and load all your routes at home with your ipad or non-network-connected iphone and have your route library stored on the Wahoo. Select a ride on the Wahoo and set off. If you go off course for some reason and then find the course again a few miles later it will continue on no problem. It can be a little difficult to figure out how to get back on course via the map if it's not straightforward. If you actually want to create a new route then you would need the connected phone and app with you.

I think you'll maybe lose some functionality but sounds like you'll be able to do the things you want to do with a Wahoo, without a phone. I'm normally creating and loading my routes at home on my computer, and then really never opening up the Wahoo app.

Thanks Alan,
I have read those reviews, but since I have no experience with gps, I don’t understand some of the features or issues discussed.

It does seem the Bolt is great, but the Lezyne has so much better battery life and is a bit cheaper, so that is why I am comparing the two. Not as much info available on the Lezyne.

I think RWGPS will be my main way of using the device.

gone
03-12-2019, 08:14 AM
One other comment wrt battery life. I’ve ridden close to 400K on the internal battery of the Elemnt (245 miles, to be exact) before the battery died. This was with the unit doing turn-by-turn and wearing an HRM.

pdxharth
03-12-2019, 12:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I was leaning towards the Lezyne because it seemed similar to Wahoo but with more battery life. But now it is clear to me that Wahoo is the way to go.

Still hard for me to justify spending this kind of money on it, as somebody without a cell phone who has only used a basic cycling computer before. It will be like magic on my bike...right? ;)

Thanks again,
Harth