PDA

View Full Version : dirty dozen ride (pittsburgh, pa)

BURCH
11-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey there. My buddy just emailed that he finished this ride in Pittsburgh. Never did the ride myself, but having lived there for several years I know some of the hills that they would have done.

Just figured that you would enjoy the read.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/search/s_481604.html

Kevan
11-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Where do we send flowers?

37%? Can that be done? Do you approach the climb doing a wheelie?

No Mikemets, don't even start with me.

mikemets
11-27-2006, 05:32 PM

Uh oh, you know we all to well already.

Well, we do have a year to prepare, and with the Double Century under our belt we'll be in pretty good shape ;)

CalfeeFly
11-28-2006, 02:31 PM

Last year I posted a photo of that street. It can be done and you can't continue the ride unless you do it.

Friends who have done the ride say that street is as much about bike handling skills as the 37% believe it or not. To top it off it is Belgian Block and that stuff is tough going up, down or even. The gaps are scary.

I hope you guys get out here some year for it. Everyone I know who has done it has enjoyed it a great deal. I personally don't feel that I have that hill in me even if I could do the rest.

BURCH
11-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Friends who have done the ride say that street is as much about bike handling skills as the 37% believe it or not. To top it off it is Belgian Block and that stuff is tough going up, down or even. The gaps are scary.

I must have missed this hill while I lived there. Don't remember anything that steep with stones. And to think that I always thought I was a badass when climbing Sycamore St. up to Mt Washington.

BURCH
11-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting this. Should have had it with the first post.

This is what my buddy wrote me. i asked about being disqualified for stopping on a hill...and then if he had 2 rings or 1....

1) Yes, you are disqualified, but it doesn't matter for the 95% of the riders like me who are not trying to rack up points. The only riders who get points are 1st - 5th places up each hill. Then, we ride as a pack at a moderate pace to the next one. As we approach a hill, the riders trying to win jockey for position, and the organizer blows the whistle. Us mortals just try to get to the top.

2) I had Two rings. Some had three, but there was a definite scoff out of the double ringers when a triple would as much as groan. And, I went to Kraynicks to replace my drivetrain a month before the event knowing that, if anything was about to break, it would happen in this race. All he had for me was a 42-tooth small ring, putting me significanly higher than the 39 I was used to, and that most other riders had. However, I was able to get a lower-geared cassette (28-tooth large cog), but the ratio still put me at a tougher at the equivalent of a 39/26 ratio.

Canton Ave was incredible. As riders made it to the top, they would dismount, leave their bikes and start to line the sides of the road for the rest. Everybody got as many attempts at this one, and by the time some riders were on their 4th and 5th attempt, the road was like the TdF with shouting and encouraging. I actually teared up a bit when one of the few female riders finally got it after falling over on her firt 5th attempts (but I'm a softie, so that's not saying much, I guess). I am proud to have gotten it on my second attempt.

2006 Coverage:

www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunereview/search/s_481604.html

www.pbase.com/mayhew/dirty_dozen&page=1

Past Coverage linked from the official race site:

www.dannychew.com/dd.html

CalfeeFly
11-29-2006, 10:44 AM
I must have missed this hill while I lived there. Don't remember anything that steep with stones. And to think that I always thought I was a badass when climbing Sycamore St. up to Mt Washington.

Believe it or not...folks who have done the ride consider Sycamore one of the easier hills on it!