PDA

View Full Version : Mavic AllRoad Elite Wheelset (rim brake content)

NYCfixie
03-07-2019, 03:48 PM
Mavic ALLROAD ELITE UST (https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/allroad-elite-ust-rr0968.html#1028=3283)

Any thoughts on these for a mid-reach rim brake bike setup?
(Seven Axiom SL mid-reach brake)

I have been trying to find a nice wheelset and purchase two of them for my Seven; one with 700x28 tires for road use and one with 700x32/35 knobbies for gravel. I was told these might be a good option and easy to swap before rides since no need to adjust anything with identical wheelsets.

As far as I can tell, they are similar to a Ksyrium Elite (https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/ksyrium-elite-ust-rr0954.html#1028=3746) but with more (18/24 instead of 18/20) and steel (instead of aluminium) spokes.

And they appear to be on sale all over the place because nobody wants a wide rim brake wheelset anymore (so I think).

Thoughts?

Bentley
03-07-2019, 04:13 PM
I’m interested too.

I know Excel has them for 300, anyone cheaper?

NYCfixie
03-07-2019, 04:19 PM
I’m interested too.

I know Excel has them for 300, anyone cheaper?

Wow, cheapest I found so far was REI at about $431 but I was not looking at these because they are inexpensive/cheap now; I just happened upon them while searching.

Kirk007
03-07-2019, 05:04 PM
never used but generally impressed with Mavic machine built wheels.

I have Boyd Altamont Lites and a wheelset with the altamont light ceramic rims which I can recommend without reservation. In the same price range, nonceramic are a little lighter; they have exchangeable end caps (Mavic appear to be qr only), not quite as wide internally but on mine tires spread out 2+mm more than the stated width.

tv_vt
03-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Excel may have had one pair in order to post that ad, but they're long gone now at that price. (I checked.)

pdmtong
03-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Excel may have had one pair in order to post that ad, but they're long gone now at that price. (I checked.)

Excel is out of stock but if you order they will ship when stock replenished ETA 3/15

I "raced" CX for six seasons on a a set of Mavic Elites (1st gen) and Mavic Elites (2nd Gen around 2011). "Raced" because I was basically donating my entry fees for the chance to be in the pain cave for 45 minutes...

175#'s

Zero issues. The Rims are bomber even when hitting concrete lips with 35psi in cheap CX tires. Wheels stayed straight.

With tires, I doubt there will be a better deal than these at $300. You could get an older pair of wheels, but will forgo the "wide rim".

Run don't walk.

Bentley
03-07-2019, 07:36 PM
I ordered a set, they are “back ordered” but I have never had an issue with them delivering on a back order before. I’ll let you know....

NYCfixie
03-07-2019, 09:51 PM
For me this was not about money but of course I do not want to spend a fortune on wheels. They are MSRP $800 so at $300 it seems they (i.e. Mavic/REI/Excel/etc.) are dumping stock because nobody is buying them. Again, who is really purchasing a factory built wide rim brake wheelset when the industry has all gone to DISC?

And, assuming these are Ksyriums with steel spokes I am assuming they are going to be really nice. Thoughts on performance (and not price)?

dddd
03-07-2019, 11:06 PM
...And, assuming these are Ksyriums with steel spokes I am assuming they are going to be really nice. Thoughts on performance (and not price)?

Performance-wise, not aero, but at 1600g with i22mm width it is impressive for Maxtal aluminum. I agree with the others that these should be tough.

By chance I just bought a nearly-unused Fuji CX bike last month, was ridiculously inexpensive even for a 10-year-old bike with cantilever brakes.
So now I have me a wheel upgrade on order, with tubeless tires that can play a couple of different tunes.

Note that these fit 130mm rear spacing, I had to go to Mavic's site to see any mention of what the axle spacing was. Luckily it's the same 130mm on my new Fuji, as well as on my existing CX bike.
Timely too, as I more or less ruined (ding and crack) my long-serving Cane-creek rear rim in this past season's first 'cross race.
All this at the same time that a friend is offering me a Chris King / HED Belgium wheelset! Maybe buy that one too?

Oh, and thanks, NYCfixie!:banana::banana:

One more thing is that Excel also has the Shimano Pro 40g carbon pocket pump on sale right now for those who use pocket pumps.

pdmtong
03-08-2019, 12:31 AM
For me this was not about money but of course I do not want to spend a fortune on wheels. They are MSRP $800 so at $300 it seems they (i.e. Mavic/REI/Excel/etc.) are dumping stock because nobody is buying them. Again, who is really purchasing a factory built wide rim brake wheelset when the industry has all gone to DISC?

And, assuming these are Ksyriums with steel spokes I am assuming they are going to be really nice. Thoughts on performance (and not price)?

Of course they are selling them cheap to get rid of them.

But if you have a frame these work for .... $300 with tires wide rim new? Tell me what better deal is out there

It's going to be a basic do it all wheel that will last as long as you want and at a weight that's hard to beat for the price

tv_vt
03-08-2019, 09:19 AM
I ordered a set, they are “back ordered” but I have never had an issue with them delivering on a back order before. I’ll let you know....

I put in an order, too. We'll see if new stock show up.

pdmtong
03-08-2019, 10:30 AM
$279

Today one day only

Planet Cyclery

https://planetcyclery.com/mavic-allroad-elite-ub-wheel-set?utm_campaign=3719_Mavic_Flash_Sale&utm_content=touchpoint_1_brand_template_v2&utm_medium=email&utm_source=zaius

NYCfixie
03-08-2019, 11:10 AM
$279

Today one day only

Planet Cyclery

https://planetcyclery.com/mavic-allroad-elite-ub-wheel-set?utm_campaign=3719_Mavic_Flash_Sale&utm_content=touchpoint_1_brand_template_v2&utm_medium=email&utm_source=zaius

From Planet Cyclery Website: "A 10% restocking fee will be applied for items returned to us."

seanile
03-08-2019, 11:13 AM
from what i know about the sale of these wheels in talking with industry folk..someone put an extra 0 on an order form when mavic was getting the wheels made. so they have wayyyy too many in stock

makoti
03-08-2019, 11:13 AM
$279

Today one day only

Planet Cyclery

"Freehub compatibility: No"
What?

pgrizzwald
03-08-2019, 11:31 AM
"You can also run 28-42mm tires with tubes, and make sure you only run UST approved tire for tubeless use."

So, you have to run Mavic tires only if you want to run tubeless? Or do they just "have to" say that?

NYCfixie
03-08-2019, 11:48 AM
from what i know about the sale of these wheels in talking with industry folk..someone put an extra 0 on an order form when mavic was getting the wheels made. so they have wayyyy too many in stock

Good to know.

And I am sure that dark brown hubs and logos are not helping sales of the rim or disc brake model. Dark brown is an acquired taste.

GregL
03-08-2019, 12:08 PM
"You can also run 28-42mm tires with tubes, and make sure you only run UST approved tire for tubeless use."

So, you have to run Mavic tires only if you want to run tubeless? Or do they just "have to" say that?
You can run any conventional (tube type) clincher tire. I run standard clinchers/tubes on other Mavic UST wheels.

Greg

Clean39T
03-08-2019, 12:23 PM
$279

Today one day only

Planet Cyclery

Would happily pay $20 to support Excel of PlanetCyclery :fight:

But...

For my money, handbuilts just make so much more sense for all-road applications than factory wheels with proprietary spokes.

dddd
03-08-2019, 12:51 PM

But...

The link to the wheelset at Excell seems to have now vanished, after I got my order in for one pair.

The Planet Cyclery deal includes in stock and free 2-day shipping, so I ordered a pair from them as well!

Stock showed (4), then (2) only minutes later, and that was before I put my order in, so maybe there is one pair still remaining.

$279, just wow.

I'm hoping that I will like the 30mm Mavic tires (the smallest size that Mavic paired with these rims). I should be able to ride almost literally anywhere.

Thanks for the link pdmtong!:banana::banana::banana:

pdmtong
03-08-2019, 01:10 PM
The link to the wheelset at Excell seems to have now vanished, after I got my order in for one pair.

The Planet Cyclery deal includes in stock and free 2-day shipping, so I ordered a pair from them as well!

Stock showed (4), then (2) only minutes later, and that was before I put my order in, so maybe there is one pair still remaining.

$279, just wow.

I'm hoping that I will like the 30mm Mavic tires (the smallest size that Mavic paired with these rims). I should be able to ride almost literally anywhere.

Thanks for the link pdmtong!:banana::banana::banana:

Here's the Excel link for those that want to go that way
https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Allroad+Elite+Wheelset+2018&vendorCode=MAVIC&major=13&minor=4

I have purchased small stuff from Planet before. When I was mulling some campagnolo brakes they were helpful and willing to actually grab the part from inventory to confirm the exact year and model number. note that campagnolo north america WILL NOT warranty anything campagnolo bought from Planet. so beware on wheels if that makes you nervous

I get that many would prefer hand builts on C2 or C2+. Go for it! Pay 2x a much! Be happy!

These mavics have the improved hub internals and come with good enough tires. heck, the tubes alone are worth $8 each with the price of tubes these days. Its 65% off ...!

dddd...glad you scored and you are welcome...:beer::beer:

NYCfixie
03-08-2019, 01:29 PM

But...

For my money, handbuilts just make so much more sense for all-road applications than factory wheels with proprietary spokes.

When I placed my order the other day with Excel they were "in-stock" but when they actually "processed" my order mine show as "back ordered unit 3/15". I called today and the person I spoke with said the buyer is the only one who knows if they will get more in stock, consumers cannot speak with buyers, he did not have time to check with the buyer, and was overall non-committal. It was very unlike customer service I have received from Excel in the past so I am leaving my order and will take the chance that they may, or may not, show up some day.

I do not want to take the chance that if for some reason I need to return them I will pay a 10% re-stock fee with Planet Cyclery even if they are still in new condition.

pdmtong
03-08-2019, 01:34 PM
When I placed my order the other day with Excel they were "in-stock" but when they actually "processed" my order mine show as "back ordered unit 3/15". I called today and the person I spoke with said the buyer is the only one who knows if they will get more in stock, consumers cannot speak with buyers, he did not have time to check with the buyer, and was overall non-committal. It was very unlike customer service I have received from Excel in the past so I am leaving my order and will take the chance that they may, or may not, show up some day.

I do not want to take the chance that if for some reason I need to return them I will pay a 10% re-stock fee with Planet Cyclery even if they are still in new condition.

That's understandable...since the $28 would be on top of your return shipping cost. I would do the same if I wasn't convinced these would work for me.

NYCfixie
03-08-2019, 01:42 PM
That's understandable...since the $28 would be on top of your return shipping cost. I would do the same if I wasn't convinced these would work for me.

Sheepishly shares that he ordered 2 so the return fee would be $55.80 in addition to shipping. If you read my OP, my plan is to have one with 700x28 slicks and one with 700x32/35 knobbies for my mid-reach brake bike and swap them depending on rides.

And, Excel has always done right be me so far...

dddd
03-08-2019, 03:20 PM
Interesting that Mavic refers to the tire casing as 120tpi.
Either that is extremely fine (as in 3x120) or very coarse (as in 3x40) weave.
Then there is another wrap-over layer that runs bead-to-bead, not sure if it's a fine/slick HD layer or a gator-type open weave(?).

They suggest very low pressure for the 30mm tires on i22mm rims, and I'm wondering how slow that might feel out on the road.

jbf
03-08-2019, 04:30 PM
I'm seriously considering these as well, but I have a question:

Will my Shimano BR-R650 calipers work with the 30mm external width of these rims? Excel's listing for BR-R650's says 26mm max. Are they being too conservative? What road bike caliper brake can take a 30mm rim?

NYCfixie
03-08-2019, 04:39 PM
I'm seriously considering these as well, but I have a question:

Will my Shimano BR-R650 calipers work with the 30mm external width of these rims? Excel's listing for BR-R650's says 26mm max. Are they being too conservative? What road bike caliper brake can take a 30mm rim?

Where are you seeing 30mm eternal rim width? (please link or post a pic)

According to the Excel website: "Rim spec: 22mm internal, 26mm external, 21mm asymmetrical profile height"

They come with 30mm tires; is that what you mean? Almost all mid-reach brakes (r-600, r-650, tektro, TRP RG957, Velo Orange, etc.) will fit a 32mm tire or 28mm tire with fender.

jbf
03-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Yes, my bad. Went back to read the specs and you are correct! I was considering building up a set of Belgiums, but I cannot justify it if these are really available. Pre-order submitted.

Where are you seeing 30mm eternal rim width? (please link or post a pic)

According to the Excel website: "Rim spec: 22mm internal, 26mm external, 21mm asymmetrical profile height"

They come with 30mm tires; is that what you mean? Almost all mid-reach brakes (r-600, r-650, tektro, TRP RG957, Velo Orange, etc.) will fit a 32mm tire or 28mm tire with fender.

buckfifty
03-08-2019, 05:18 PM
So will other tubeless tires work with these wheels? Need some wheels for my Ritchey Swiss Cross that I want to throw some Gravel Kings 38c on

dddd
03-08-2019, 06:36 PM
So will other tubeless tires work with these wheels? Need some wheels for my Ritchey Swiss Cross that I want to throw some Gravel Kings 38c on

I don't know how well of a fit will result without a wrap or two of tape on there, since the two standards (UST and TCS) do not relate accurately to one another.

These appear to be hookless as I looked at some non-photographic illustrations from Mavic, so having UST standards in both rim and tire should allow a more-reliable minimum blow-off resistance without inconsistencies in rim preparation requirements or mounting difficulty. The hookless designs are considerably more durable in theory at equivalent rim weights, so ideal for running tubeless at low pressures.

GregL
03-08-2019, 08:01 PM
These appear to be hookless as I looked at some non-photographic illustrations from Mavic, so having UST standards in both rim and tire should allow a more-reliable minimum blow-off resistance without inconsistencies in rim preparation requirements or mounting difficulty. The hookless designs are considerably more durable in theory at equivalent rim weights, so ideal for running tubeless at low pressures.
I believe the rims are hook-type: https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/mavic_tech.php?display=product&family=1014&subfamily=1075&macronu=25677

Greg

buckfifty
03-09-2019, 01:20 AM
Found this link on rkp about how they attempted to mount several tires onto the allroad (although the disc version). Seems like other tires would work

http://redkiteprayer.com/2018/09/user-friendly-tubeless-mavic-allroad/

NYCfixie
03-12-2019, 05:18 PM
Anybody get a pair delivered yet? What do you think?

jbf
03-12-2019, 05:32 PM
I received an email today from Planet Cyclery that my wheels have shipped. Tracking number indicates label was created, but wheels are not yet in the Fedex system.

dddd
03-12-2019, 07:13 PM
I received the same email, but followed by another email that indicates that while a label was created, the supposedly in-stock wheels will not be in-house for another week!

Unless the two remaining wheelsets sold out in the minutes after the page had refreshed, (which is possible), that's like a form of bait-and-switch in my book, since the site indicated 2 pair in stock at the time that I placed my order. But they were selling fast, I saw four pair in stock just 20 minutes earlier.

pbarry
03-12-2019, 08:33 PM
Peter/ Old Potatoe can build a better set of wheels for similar money and no wondering if they'll show up. Just sayin to think abt buying within forum people.

However, OP does not own a yellow station wagon with roof racks and labels on the side. :)

belopsky
03-13-2019, 06:08 AM
Peter/ Old Potatoe can build a better set of wheels for similar money and no wondering if they'll show up. Just sayin to think abt buying within forum people.

However, OP does not own a yellow station wagon with roof racks and labels on the side. :)

No horse in the race but what kind of wheel set for $300?

jbf
03-13-2019, 04:43 PM
Don't now why people are getting worked up over this. I have built my own wheels for 20 years. I cannot build a wheel with a quality hub and a wide rim for $279. Also consider they include tires, stems, sealant. If they don't ship, you get a refund. What's the problem? This will be the first pair of factory built wheels I have ever owned, but I am looking forward to receiving them. Or getting a refund.

pdmtong
03-13-2019, 04:54 PM
I received an email today from Planet Cyclery that my wheels have shipped. Tracking number indicates label was created, but wheels are not yet in the Fedex system.
label created and first update can he 24-48 hour lag. the last time I got a label created notice the next update was out for delivery.

Bentley
03-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Got an email today notifying me that the wheels have shipped....

Now I have to explain to my local wrench why I bought Mavic pre-built wheels, he is not a FAN

pdmtong
03-18-2019, 05:25 PM
Got an email today notifying me that the wheels have shipped....Now I have to explain to my local wrench why I bought Mavic pre-built wheels, he is not a FAN
Easy to be a fan of something else when you get the shop discount.
Ask him what would be competitive with tires/tubes for $279 shipped?

Bentley
03-18-2019, 05:45 PM
Maybe I did not make myself clear, he hates Mavic wheels, all the proprietary stuff, the fact that the aluminum spokes and nipples seize up. He just does not like Mavic, also not a fan of Trek/Specialized, all of Pacific’s offerings, new Raliegh bikes.

He would likely advise me to pick up a used set of wheels with CK, DT or some other good hub , on guess what...Mavic Open Pros.

He is a great guy, but he won’t be happy I have a set of Mavic wheels even if they are a tremendous deal

dddd
03-18-2019, 07:21 PM
I plan to try to wear out the included tires before changing tires for the 'cross season. These wheels will be an upgrade over my seasons-old Cane-Creek wheelset which is quite narrow at the same weight.

My Excell order shipped today, the Planetbike order is still awaiting their receipt of a quantity of these wheels from whoever.

I noticed these All-Road wheels weren't featured at the NAHBS Mavic booth.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Maybe I did not make myself clear, he hates Mavic wheels, all the proprietary stuff, the fact that the aluminum spokes and nipples seize up. He just does not like Mavic,
He is a great guy, but he won’t be happy I have a set of Mavic wheels even if they are a tremendous deal

Well, the guy is in the trenches. He gets to see and fix these things and also deal with mavic(not fun, IMHO)..Proprietary 'stuff' screams 'planned obsolescence, regardless of maker. It's a shame when those really nice hubs become pen holders cuz the manufacturer no longer supports the wheelouttaboxes..

I like this guy:)

Bentley
03-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Well, the guy is in the trenches. He gets to see and fix these things and also deal with mavic(not fun, IMHO)..Proprietary 'stuff' screams 'planned obsolescence, regardless of maker. It's a shame when those really nice hubs become pen holders cuz the manufacturer no longer supports the wheelouttaboxes..

I like this guy:)

I like him too, and I agree with what you said.... still seems like I should give these wheels a try. 😇

tv_vt
03-19-2019, 10:29 AM
My Excel order also shipped yesterday. Due next week.

I also got a set of handbuilt wheels this winter with DT TK540 rims - wider touring rims, and they ride really well with some older Pave tires mounted right now. With Ultegra 32H hubs. Let's see how the Mavic wheels compare to these.

oldpotatoe
03-19-2019, 12:09 PM
I like him too, and I agree with what you said.... still seems like I should give these wheels a try. 😇

Absolutely! Ride the smelly French cheese outta them. :)

jbf
03-19-2019, 05:27 PM
They have arrived.

NYCfixie
03-19-2019, 05:46 PM
Don't be a tease. Open the box already.

They have arrived.

dddd
03-19-2019, 05:58 PM
And, if you can, full weight of the wheels minus QR levers and tires!

Weight was advertised 1595g iir.

pdmtong
03-19-2019, 06:07 PM
never has there been such interest in $279...

that's less than a moots cinch post!

NYCfixie
03-19-2019, 07:07 PM
$800 discounted to $279/$299...

never has there been such interest in $279...

that's less than a moots cinch post!

jbf
03-19-2019, 07:35 PM
It's not that simple. They arrived with tires (700 X 30) pre-mounted and valve stems installed. Sealant and injector were included. The tires were seated in the rim. Obviously pre-seated at the factory before shipping. Pumped them up with a floor pump without sealant to 65 lb and measured 32.5mm wide.

Front wheel/tire/valve weighed 1048g. Rear wheel/tire/valve weighed 1294g. Not sure if I want to take it all apart to figure out what each piece weighs. We will see.

jc031699
03-19-2019, 07:39 PM
Those look like basically a set of Open Pro UST rims with spokes, hubs, tubes, tires, wheelbuilding thrown in for $79. Wow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jbf
03-19-2019, 08:15 PM
I have built my own wheels for 20 years. These are my first "factory" wheels and I'm impressed. The rims require rim strips to cover spoke drilling, unlike the disk versions. These are different rims than the disk version, they are not offset. Nipples appear to be standard brass. Spokes look to be normal bladed straight pull spokes.

Not as proprietary as I would have thought. I bet you could build these hubs to any rim using straight pull spokes. And I would guess you could build these rims to any straight/j-bend hub if you measured the ERD (24H rear, 18H front). Wheels were built in Romania.

jc031699
03-19-2019, 08:18 PM
I have built my own wheels for 20 years. These are my first "factory" wheels and I'm impressed. The rims require rim strips to cover spoke drilling, unlike the disk versions. These are different rims than the disk version, they are not offset. Nipples appear to be standard brass. Spokes look to be normal bladed straight pull spokes.

Not as proprietary as I would have thought. I bet you could build these hubs to any rim using straight pull spokes. And I would guess you could build these rims to any straight/j-bend hub if you measured the ERD (24H rear, 18H front). Wheels were built in Romania.

Previous versions of the ksyrium equipe level wheels were basically previous gen open pros with unusual spoke count numbers. This seems to be the new version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NYCfixie
03-19-2019, 09:01 PM
why all the hate?

seanile
03-19-2019, 09:42 PM
why all the hate?

it's hardly hate. it's people being skeptical of manufactured bits and pieces, a favorite past time of cyclists.
my pair arrived today, seems like a solid set, certainly wouldn't have paid $800 for em tho.

dddd
03-19-2019, 11:01 PM
Forgive me coming back to the "hookless" claim that I keep coming across in reviews of these wheels.

This pair of descriptions:

"The top end Allroad Pro UST Disc comes in at $1100/1000€, with a 22mm internal width and hookless profile designed to offer wide support for 28-45mm wide tires. These premium aluminum wheels use Mavic’s ISM4D machining that cuts away all of the excess material away from the 21mm deep rim, while leaving reinforcing around the spoke holes and at the bead. They also get bladed aero Zircal alloy spokes to save weight (20 front, 24 rear), with their nipples threaded directly into the reinforced rim. That gets down to a claimed 1610g for the complete wheelset."

AND

"Coming down to a $800/750€ price point, the Allroad Elite UST wheels share much of the same tech as the Pros. They get the same 22mm wide rim, again ISM4D machined down to save weight and with nipples threaded directly into it, but now with conventional bladed stainless steel spokes. The modular hubs are again the same, yielding a total wheelset weight of 1720g."

Granted, these descriptions seem to be referring to heavier disc-brake wheelsets, but why would the rim-brake version have a different (hooked) bead?

And as for the Open Pro UST rims, they have 19mm inside width versus 22mm inside width for these clearance-priced Allroad wheelsets.

dddd
03-21-2019, 01:17 AM
My wheelset from Planetbike was the first to arrive, today.

First thing I pulled off the tires, a fast and easy job with one plastic iron.

I used two different scales and weighed everything.

Wheelset WITH rim tapes and valves weighs about 1660g.

Tires come in at about 330g each.

dddd
03-21-2019, 01:37 AM
I just got done re-mounting the tires, needed no tools and established sealing and pressure using a floor pump.
Rear tires seems to have dropped 15psi after ten minutes, so sealant might be an absolute necessity.

And I might need a CO2 inflater to seat the beads out in the field(?).

Looking back 20 years, to when I probably thought of myself as likely the only person at Interbike inquiring at every rim maker's booth as to their rim's width, these seem like "dream" wheels in that context, incredibly wide, extremely strong and yet just 16xx grams for the whole works.

tv_vt
03-21-2019, 08:26 AM
Are the Mavic tires worth using with tubes? I don't plan to run tubeless with these wheels. If not, I'll offer them up here and use a pair of Vittoria Corsa 28 tires. Or Panasonic Pasela 28/32 tires.

dddd
03-21-2019, 08:43 AM
I'll have to test them out asap to find out how these tires ride.

I really expect them to be about what they are supposed to be, a toughened semi-lightweight "gravel" tire, but nothing special as far as being both super-supple and fast-rolling.

I could probably get them set up with sealant before this morning's club ride, decisions, decisions!

Ed-B
03-21-2019, 09:15 AM
Now that people have these, are the rims hooked bead or hookless?

dddd
03-21-2019, 11:18 AM

I'm embarrassed to say that I forgot to check!
But since both of my tires fully deflated overnight without the benefit of sealant, I just checked and found that the thin rim sidewalls are hooked.

This can be an issue considering wear caused by rim brakes, which makes me wonder why it is only the disc version of this exact wheelset which features a thicker-walled hookless rim?

I note that the disc version is substantially heavier, the difference in weight being 130 grams for the pair.

jbf
03-21-2019, 03:01 PM

Not sure if this answers your question, but this is the rim profile found in Mavic technical docs.

Ed-B
03-21-2019, 05:07 PM
Yes, it answers my question if the wheels that you received have the rims shown in the Mavic tech doc.

Thank you.

dddd
03-22-2019, 07:25 PM
I've got a little over 80 miles, over three rides, on the new wheel/tire set.

I set up a new/used old CX bike for testing, since most road bikes don't have the needed clearance.

The tires won't hold air without the sealant, but the sealant fixed that after a couple of top-ups and moving the wheels in all directions to distribute the sealant.

The bike sure felt truck-like at first, and I ended up doing an hours-long service on it. I first had to restore all cabling, add a FD cable adjuster and replace a defective/separating Truvative Elita crankset, then had to modify the rear canti brake arm and mounting to get the pads in low enough on either side of the wider rim.

After a first ride however, getting used to being back on a CX bike, the handling sorted out and I became comfortable after installing a shorter 10cm stem.
The tires stood out as seeming free-rolling even at the 55psi I was running. The wheels have very good lateral stiffness I would say, something that I noticed even while trying to cram the brake pads/holders into place on the rear brake.

By the end of today's ride, rain was starting to fall as I made the final 3-mile sprint home back from the ride start location. I'd had a latte and was feeling just like I was in mid-race energy-management mode, and the bike felt like a cx race bike on supple race tires all the way home.

I think that these smooth (33mm actual) tires can work well off road, I took a couple of dirt-trail short-cuts and the tires gripped the difficult surfaces well.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7906/46529920415_4399ef7f19_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7852/46722117654_d1bf2365a1_b.jpg

NYCfixie
03-22-2019, 07:29 PM
Are those directional tires and are they facing the correct way?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7852/46722117654_d1bf2365a1_b.jpg

dddd
03-22-2019, 08:18 PM
Are those directional tires and are they facing the correct way?

Yes, directional tires, and yes, they are facing the correct way, per Mavic's directional arrows.

Mavic claims best performance on wet surfaces this way, though it is opposite of how I would have chosen on my own.

I've read a few forum discussions elsewhere about it.
Street-going motorcycles use this same orientation to reduce tread squirm under combined braking/cornering loads and that bicycles don't hydroplane provided food for thought.

tv_vt
03-25-2019, 12:48 PM
Got my set today from Excel. Initial impressions:

Putting on the rear skewer, noticed it was way too thin for the huge hole in the hub. Realized there were plastic inserts that go in each end of the axle to narrow down the opening for the skewer. They came off on the white plastic hub protectors when unpacking the wheel. Found them after looking around. A bit of a surprise that they use plastic inserts for this, but guess it makes the hub disc-friendly, too.

Freehub is loud! Sounds like a siren going off when you stop pedaling at high speed. This was just on the bike stand inside so don't know what it'll be like outside.

Nice looking wheels. I wonder if you could run a 25mm tire on these rims. Mavic says 28mm +, but I'd like to try them with 25mm Corsa tires and see how they are.

I'll get around to trying the Mavic tires eventually, with some tubes, once the dirt roads dry out around here (in a month, maybe?). Have zero plans to try tubeless.

seanile
03-25-2019, 12:50 PM
i believe those inserts allow it to be thru-axles compatible.

dddd
03-25-2019, 01:33 PM
Got my set today from Excel. Initial impressions:

Putting on the rear skewer, noticed it was way too thin for the huge hole in the hub. Realized there were plastic inserts that go in each end of the axle to narrow down the opening for the skewer. They came off on the white plastic hub protectors when unpacking the wheel. Found them after looking around. A bit of a surprise that they use plastic inserts for this, but guess it makes the hub disc-friendly, too.

Freehub is loud! Sounds like a siren going off when you stop pedaling at high speed. This was just on the bike stand inside so don't know what it'll be like outside.

Nice looking wheels. I wonder if you could run a 25mm tire on these rims. Mavic says 28mm +, but I'd like to try them with 25mm Corsa tires and see how they are.

I'll get around to trying the Mavic tires eventually, with some tubes, once the dirt roads dry out around here (in a month, maybe?). Have zero plans to try tubeless.

I've never noticed the freehub noise on mine while riding, and it has a "soft" sound while just turning the pedals backwards or coasting slowly.
There are quieter freehubs out there, but I wouldn't call these loud myself (and I am sensitive about such noises). These now have a newer-design ratchet-ring system inside.

The GP5000 Tubeless tires in 25mm size might be a go here, the lowest rolling resistance with good mileage, and likely measuring the full Mavic-prescribed minimum of 28mm as installed on these i22mm rims.

I haven't been carrying a pump or tube on my rides on these, and the low 55psi I am running should result in excellent performance of the sealant.
Both tires lose a few psi each day, which seems kind of high for such high-volume tires (as compared to using tubes).

I mentioned a problem with fitting one of the rear canti brake pads after installing these wider wheels (even though it was mainly that my Fuji's frame was made crooked in that area). I have since found thinner pads/holders that ease any concerns of this sort.

The supplied tires seem fast-rolling for such a soft, fat tire, so if they'll fit your bike maybe give them a try.

chiasticon
03-26-2019, 05:36 AM
I wonder if you could run a 25mm tire on these rims. Mavic says 28mm +, but I'd like to try them with 25mm Corsa tires and see how they are.this is a bummer. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a set. but I want the option to run them with 25's on my road bikes as well.

by the way, Excel has them back in stock, for the same price.

ltwtsculler91
03-26-2019, 07:47 AM
this is a bummer. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a set. but I want the option to run them with 25's on my road bikes as well.

by the way, Excel has them back in stock, for the same price.

Thanks for the heads up. Just pulled the trigger on a set. It's a stupid price for a set of wheels to use on my Boone

tv_vt
03-26-2019, 08:23 AM
I don't see why a 25mm tire wouldn't work. The Hed Belgium Plus rim is 25mm inside width, and they're OK running 23mm tires, according to Hed. The Mavic rims are only 22mm inside width.

chiasticon
03-26-2019, 09:52 AM
I don't see why a 25mm tire wouldn't work. The Hed Belgium Plus rim is 25mm inside width, and they're OK running 23mm tires, according to Hed. The Mavic rims are only 22mm inside width.actually Belgium+ is 21mm internal, 25mm external. Mavic AllRoad Elite is 22mm internal; not sure on external, but guessing 26mm.

you do have a point though: how much of this is just Mavic covering their *ss?

dddd
03-26-2019, 03:05 PM
One consideration here is that Mavic prescribes a maximum of 65psi be used with these rims, it's printed on the rims.

But that likely reflects the very much higher casing tension that occurs at same pressure in a wider tire.
A 25mm tire for instance only has one half of the casing tension that a 50mm tire has at the same pressure, and the "generic" recommendation of 65psi max would appear to be a simplification that covers all tires within the very wide range of tire sizes that Mavic prescribes for use on these rims.

I pumped my "30mm" tires to their rated 80psi initially, just to seat the beads, before I noticed the 65psi max printing on the rim.

I suspect that using the narrowest of tires on a wide rim increases the chance of the tire bead burping when used at the lowest possible pressures (below which the tire tends to fold over in hard cornering).
I also suspect that anyone running 25mm road tires on these rims would be using much higher pressures than that.

Pegoready
07-12-2019, 11:00 AM
Bumping this old thread because these wheels are now $200:

https://www.planetcyclery.com/catalog/product/view/id/46833?utm_campaign=Abandon_Cart&utm_content=touchpoint_1_abandoned_cart__triggered&utm_medium=email&utm_source=zaius

doomridesout
07-12-2019, 10:12 PM
I don't have a rim brake bike for these right now and I bought them... king of all suckers for a deal.

TBLS
07-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Just opened mine up from Planet Cycle. $200 for new wide wheels, tires, valves, sealant for my Cannondale caadx.

Doubt I will get the same mileage as I have gotten off my velomax circuits they are replacing...Have to have 20,000+ miles without being touched

Hilltopperny
07-17-2019, 05:47 PM
At the price these were I bought two sets. Very impressed with the look of them and all that was included. Unbeatable for the price IMO.

Now I need to find a frameset for the extra pair...Anybody holding a canti or mid reach bike with 54-55cm top tube?

Sent from my LGL423DL using Tapatalk

YesNdeed
07-17-2019, 06:02 PM
Just opened mine up from Planet Cycle. $200 for new wide wheels, tires, valves, sealant for my Cannondale caadx.

Doubt I will get the same mileage as I have gotten off my velomax circuits they are replacing...Have to have 20,000+ miles without being touched

I took advantage of the same deal (posted it in the PSA thread), and put 85 miles on them today, with the Yksion Allroad tires provided. They seem pretty bomber and ride nicely. The tires felt good on the 8 miles of dirt road, even at a really high pressure of 80psi, but don’t roll as well on pavement as G-Ones or G-One Speeds. I also liked Specialized Trigger Pro a lot compared to these. But about the wheels, I don’t really bond with new equipment until after a few hundred miles at least, but first impressions are very good, and they are very good looking wheels IMO. And for $199 (shipped!), I am far from complaining.

AngryScientist
07-17-2019, 06:32 PM
i have about 500 miles on a set of these now and they indeed seem like very good wheels for the $$.

coelacant
07-18-2019, 09:38 PM
Well that was easily the best well-spent $200 ever on 'bike stuff' or anything else for that matter. I love that filling up the syringe is exactly 1/2 the sealant bottle, making the process a no brainer. I started out @ 50 psi at both ends but let out some as the first ride went on. At 40-45 psi the wheels started to hum in perfect harmony with my grunting and panting...I'm totally impressed.
For $200, it was a toss-up btwn getting a set of these or having a 20 min lapdance...glad I got the wheels. :p

tjg
09-18-2019, 03:54 PM
Before I pull the new tags off my Mavic All Road Elite (rim brake) wheelset, I’m curious about opinions from those who are using them. I will be using them primarily on pavement.

Also, will I have any issues running Compass Stampede Pass (32 mm) extra light tires with tubes (the tire specs are specific about rim compatibility: “Rene Herse tires are designed for rims that meet ETRTO standards: sidewall with hooks; G height = 5.2 – 6.5 mm)?

Thoughts??

tv_vt
09-18-2019, 05:49 PM
I really like mine. Running them with Vittoria Corsa 25s and Veloflex Master 25s. The old Vittoria Pave 24 tire did not fit. 28s obviously work too.

Anybody also own Ksyriums that can compare the two wheels? Wondering how the K Elites are (with the steel spokes) compared to this wheel.

Zee
09-18-2019, 06:38 PM
Are these still available anywhere for the $200 price?

azrider
09-18-2019, 06:50 PM
For $200, it was a toss-up btwn getting a set of these or having a 20 min lapdance...glad I got the wheels. :p

https://media.giphy.com/media/65ODCwM00NVmEyLsX3/giphy.gif

dddd
09-18-2019, 07:29 PM
Are these still available anywhere for the $200 price?

I ended up buying three sets over a period of time, but they disappeared from the market at those prices some months ago.

They were a steal at $300, I paid a total of $780 for my three pair.

I'm still on my first set of tires and the original sealant with one booster injection two months back. Still no flats and the tread still has far to go.

I run the "30mm" (actual 34mm) tires at 50-55psi and the rims have warnings not to exceed 65psi.

TBLS
09-19-2019, 07:20 AM
I like mine but running tubed panaracer GK 32’s vs provided tires. Work fine, have stayed true thru multiple gravel rides.

Had a flat which was a tough change on roadside as I had difficulty getting tire bead in channel (user error) but nothing I would hold against the wheels.

I will be setting up tubeless next time I need tires so we will see how that goes

For a buy/use $200 product, great deal

zross312
09-19-2019, 03:10 PM
I grabbed a set for my Bridgestone right when it dropped to $200 at Planet Cyclery. My impressions: I was amazed by how easy and painless tubeless setup was. Mavic has clearly spent a lot of time thinking through the user experience of tubeless setup, and they've made sure it's as easy and idiot proof as possible (which didn't stop me from splattering myself with sealant at one point). Build quality is very high - they look, feel, and spin like a premium wheelset. The tires are whatever. They feel somewhat wooden and sluggish on road, but they have decent enough grip in the dirt. Additionally, I've had trouble getting the rear tire to hold air - it always seems to drop to 20psi overnight, no matter what I do. Mildly irritating to have to pump it up before every ride, but not the end of the world.

Anyway, overall, I'm super happy with the purchase. The wheelset would be a good value even at MSRP, so at 1/4 MSRP... it was a no-brainer. When I replace the tires with Schwalbe G-One Speeds, they'll be perfect for BWR 2020.

weisan
12-02-2019, 10:03 PM
https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/allroad-elite-ust-rr0968.html#1028=3283&1031=3464&1032=3466&1033=3693&1034=3493&1035=3501&1036=3506&1037=3509&1038=3512

Clean39T
12-02-2019, 10:10 PM
https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/allroad-elite-ust-rr0968.html#1028=3283&1031=3464&1032=3466&1033=3693&1034=3493&1035=3501&1036=3506&1037=3509&1038=3512https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/allroad-elite-ust-disc-rr0974.html#1028=3283

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

weisan
12-02-2019, 10:12 PM
https://shop.mavic.com/en-us/allroad-elite-ust-disc-rr0974.html#1028=3283

http://www.inewtechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/buy-now-inewtechnology-diwli-offers-on-amazon.jpg

RKW
12-03-2019, 09:01 AM

Damn it. There goes MORE money.

oldpotatoe
12-03-2019, 09:13 AM
Damn it. There goes MORE money.

Pretty good deal but at $850...I'd say you could get better hubs, same or less weight, non proprietary rims and spokes..for less $..just sayin...

DT350 hubs laced to Velocity Aileron using Sapim spokes..'About $675-$700....

:)

RKW
12-03-2019, 09:16 AM
Pretty good deal but at $850...I'd say you could get better hubs, same or less weight, non proprietary rims and spokes..for less $..just sayin...

DT350 hubs laced to Velocity Aileron using Sapim spokes..'About $675-$700....

:)

While I generally don't disagree with you, they're $510 shipped with tires and sealant on sale.

Clean39T
12-03-2019, 09:26 AM
While I generally don't disagree with you, they're $510 shipped with tires and sealant on sale.And they were $425 yesterday..

weisan
12-03-2019, 09:31 AM
$424.50 to be exact.

:p

I haven't bought a set of wheels in years...had been building em', this will be the first.

doomridesout
12-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Question for those that bought the rim brake version on close out: has anyone put road tires on them and pumped them up higher than the recommended 60 psi? I know Mavic is conservative about pressure and it’s proportional to tire cross-section but want to make sure I could run mine with a 25c at 85-90 psi. Anyone done it?

Clean39T
12-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Question for those that bought the rim brake version on close out: has anyone put road tires on them and pumped them up higher than the recommended 60 psi? I know Mavic is conservative about pressure and it’s proportional to tire cross-section but want to make sure I could run mine with a 25c at 85-90 psi. Anyone done it?I can't imagine mounting a 25c tire on a 22mm internal width - I'd go at least 30 on those. And read some of the tire-mounting tips.

yinzerniner
12-03-2019, 04:01 PM
Question for those that bought the rim brake version on close out: has anyone put road tires on them and pumped them up higher than the recommended 60 psi? I know Mavic is conservative about pressure and it’s proportional to tire cross-section but want to make sure I could run mine with a 25c at 85-90 psi. Anyone done it?

Unless you're over 220 lbs I can't see pumping 25c tubeless to 85-90psi. Clinchers maybe, but even then that's a lot of pressure on tires that'll most likely blow up to 28mm wide minimum on a 22mm wide ID rim.

I can't imagine mounting a 25c tire on a 22mm internal width - I'd go at least 30 on those. And read some of the tire-mounting tips.

The Enve AR series are 25mm ID, albeit hookless, and they recommend 28mm tires as ideal.

But with all the previous road tubeless non-standardization it's probably best to ask for specific tire and size recommendations instead of blanket queries. Even though the latest batch of road tubeless seem to be adhering to UST standards and fit much truer to stated size on modern ID rims it's always best to go with particulars if possible.

RKW
12-03-2019, 04:05 PM
I can't imagine mounting a 25c tire on a 22mm internal width - I'd go at least 30 on those. And read some of the tire-mounting tips.

I'm planning on running 30 on mine. Not going to be fun to mount either.

oldpotatoe
12-04-2019, 06:54 AM
While I generally don't disagree with you, they're $510 shipped with tires and sealant on sale.

10-4..just went by this

BUT 1/2 price, good deal..hope they hold up..

RKW
12-04-2019, 08:57 AM
10-4..just went by this

BUT 1/2 price, good deal..hope they hold up..

Agreed. Even if they don't, I know who to call to get something made!

oldpotatoe
12-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Agreed. Even if they don't, I know who to call to get something made!

Grazie...Buon Natale e felice anno nuovo...:)

weisan
12-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Fast shipping!

Came in last night.

In two separate package I guess.

Rear wheel only.

Still waiting on front wheel.

Pre-mounted with tire of my choice (40mm)

RKW
12-05-2019, 08:53 AM
Fast shipping!

Came in last night.

Rear wheel only.

I still haven't gotten a shipping notice...but I guess I'm not that concerned, since I don't need it right away.

weisan
12-06-2019, 09:39 AM
Got everything set up ready to go but ran into one issue at the last step. I am using the quick release adapter on both wheels. In the front, with the adapters installed, they seem to go a bit too far into the thru axle cavity and causing the the dropouts to contact the thru axle and generating fiction/resistance. Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

Clean39T
12-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Got everything set up ready to go but ran into one issue at the last step. I am using the quick release adapter on both wheels. In the front, with the adapters installed, they seem to go a bit too far into the thru axle cavity and causing the the dropouts to contact the thru axle and generating fiction/resistance. Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

Those look really nice.....maybe I shoulda got myself a pair after all.... :crap:

Likes2ridefar
12-06-2019, 01:09 PM
And they were $425 yesterday..

I got them two years ago for the same price and have been beating the crap out of them ever since. Great wheels!

weisan
12-23-2019, 06:28 AM
The issue I ran into with the front wheel is, after I tightened up the lockring, the wheel seized up and won't spin smoothly. I am using a lockring that I normally use for my cassette. Is there a difference?

Likes2ridefar
12-23-2019, 08:01 AM
The internet seems to think you shouldn’t do that. My lockrings came with my rotors.

I don’t know if the wheel seize is caused by that though...

They use the same tools to mount but the disc lock ring is much wider.

oldpotatoe
12-23-2019, 08:27 AM
The issue I ran into with the front wheel is, after I tightened up the lockring, the wheel seized up and won't spin smoothly. I am using a lockring that I normally use for my cassette. Is there a difference?

Rotor lockring is not a cassette lockring..same threads, different lockring.
Rotors should come with proper lockrings.
Ultegra rotors
The rotors are available in 140 and 160mm diameters and include a lockring.

As an example..

coelacant
12-29-2019, 09:09 PM
Late to the party. Where did you find these (the disc version) @ 1/2 price? Are they still some where?

Fast shipping!

Came in last night.

Rear wheel only.

Clean39T
12-29-2019, 09:40 PM
Late to the party. Where did you find these (the disc version) @ 1/2 price? Are they still some where?They were on black-friday special at Mavic's site - still available there, just not quite as cheap..

tv_vt
04-02-2020, 05:14 PM
Time for a little review on these wheels. I have the rim brake version and have had them for about a year. I'm mostly using them on the road with road tires - and butyl tubes.

Some tires won't fit on these rims because they're so wide. I doubt any 23mm tire will fit. I tried a Vittoria Pave 25 and that wouldn't fit. But a Veloflex 25 and a Vittoria Corsa 25 Graphene will fit. The ride with the Veloflex is really good; the ride with the Corsa tires is sluggish feeling, but more cushy.

These wheels are very comfy and roll well. They're very wide; widest rims I have. I'm guessing they are the new Open Pro rims with fewer spoke holes, but am not sure on that. The machined sidewalls are very sharp on the edge away from the tire, closer to the hub.

They haven't really excelled at anything, though they are decent enough. What I mostly dislike is the feeling of the rear wheel under hard load - hammering uphill or just sprinting hard, for example. They feel sluggish, just a little soft, a little slow. I wonder if I just had the rear spokes tightened up a bit, if that might help with that issue.

The max pressure printed on the rim is 4.5 bar, I think. Which translates to about 65 psi. I'm hoping that is for the supplied tire, which is 700x31. For the 700x25 tires I've been using, I've been running pressure between 80 and 85 psi, with no issues (yet). Not sure if that should be a concern for me or not.

The better choice of Mavic wheel for road use might be the Ksyrium wheels. Haven't looked at the rims or those wheels closely to compare to these, but I'd guess they're sharing some parts. I might throw on some 32mm Gravelkings and start using these wheels just for dirt road rides and call it good. But as a basic road wheel, these are pretty good. For a few more $, Zondas are a good road wheel option, too.

Anybody else getting in some miles on these?

oldpotatoe
04-03-2020, 06:40 AM
TV-VT-
What I mostly dislike is the feeling of the rear wheel under hard load - hammering uphill or just sprinting hard, for example. They feel sluggish, just a little soft, a little slow. I wonder if I just had the rear spokes tightened up a bit, if that might help with that issue.

I'd be wary of that. Have somebody with a good tension meter check the RH side tension first. Just adding tension 'may' pull an eyelet out, and that wheel will be done. Steel spokes, another reason why they may not feel 'bright', as compared to those with aluminum spokes..

AngryScientist
04-03-2020, 06:51 AM
\

Anybody else getting in some miles on these?

yea, i've got a bunch of miles on mine, on my gravel bike. i think, as you mentioned, they are a solid basic wheel choice, that really neither excel at anything or have any major faults. i have really put mine through a lot of abuse, on rough gravel roads, and they have remained perfectly true, but i'm using around a 33mm tire generally, and i weigh 135#.

i have for 2020 swapped to different wheels on my gravel bike, but will keep these around as back-ups.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rCJZ8SxLc6c/XXGIA-N-McI/AAAAAAAADT8/KlOo529YJcYVtgmtoLAKGvH7npFHqGUgwCLcBGAs/s1200/IMG_2018.jpg

tv_vt
04-03-2020, 08:36 AM
TV-VT-

I'd be wary of that. Have somebody with a good tension meter check the RH side tension first. Just adding tension 'may' pull an eyelet out, and that wheel will be done. Steel spokes, another reason why they may not feel 'bright', as compared to those with aluminum spokes..

Thanks, OP. The spokes certainly feel tight enough when I give them a squeeze.

"Bright" is exactly the word to describe what these are not. You attribute it to spoke material, although I find the Zondas I have with steel spokes to be 'brighter.'

And of course, some handbuilts I have also feel pretty good. Have been enjoying some Easton R90SL rims lately.:)