PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this product ( rear suspension content )

SoCalSteve
03-07-2019, 03:13 PM
Hi all,

This electronic rear suspension: http://hiride.bike/road/ is available on the Pinarello Dogma K10s.

http://www.pinarello.com/en/bikes-2019/road/dogma-k10s-disk

Thoughts, opinion, experiences an flames all welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

oldpotatoe
03-08-2019, 07:45 AM
Hi all,

This electronic rear suspension: http://hiride.bike/road/ is available on the Pinarello Dogma K10s.

http://www.pinarello.com/en/bikes-2019/road/dogma-k10s-disk

Thoughts, opinion, experiences an flames all welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Not as whizbang or high tech but this sort of rear suspension has been around for like 30 years(Moots, Softride, Calfee, Trek, others). I didn't read the text but it's something about keeping the rear tire on the ground, via suspension, I suspect. A whole bunch of marketing, along with road front suspension. Probably looking at the GRoad market..where there is some application(along with front suspension), I guess.

Tickdoc
03-08-2019, 08:02 AM
What, no lane keeping assist? No ABS brakes?

I know you have to push the technology, but I am slowly retrogrouching my way to mechanical bicycle simplicity.

I rented a spec venge(?) once with the suspension headset thingy and I gotta say was not a fan. The loss of feel and the awkward plushy numb feel made me happy to get back on one of my bone crushers.

SoCalSteve
03-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Not as whizbang or high tech but this sort of rear suspension has been around for like 30 years(Moots, Softride, Calfee, Trek, others). I didn't read the text but it's something about keeping the rear tire on the ground, via suspension, I suspect. A whole bunch of marketing, along with road front suspension. Probably looking at the GRoad market..where there is some application(along with front suspension), I guess.

So, no...the bike can barely handle 28’s. They are not going for the GRoad market. From what I can tell, it’s strictly a comfort issue. And yes, the Moots YBB was successful. This takes that concept to the next level.

I was told there have only been about 20 of these shipped to the US market, so very little data.

SoCalSteve
03-08-2019, 09:00 AM
What, no lane keeping assist? No ABS brakes?

I know you have to push the technology, but I am slowly retrogrouching my way to mechanical bicycle simplicity.

I rented a spec venge(?) once with the suspension headset thingy and I gotta say was not a fan. The loss of feel and the awkward plushy numb feel made me happy to get back on one of my bone crushers.

Do you still use a flip phone for texting? Technology that works well is a very good thing. Makes our lives better-easier-more efficient-more comfortable.

oldpotatoe
03-08-2019, 09:09 AM
So, no...the bike can barely handle 28’s. They are not going for the GRoad market. From what I can tell, it’s strictly a comfort issue. And yes, the Moots YBB was successful. This takes that concept to the next level.

I was told there have only been about 20 of these shipped to the US market, so very little data.

-Then it makes even less sense.

-More comfort with less PSI in fatter tires...but that's not high tech nor a marketing scheme..

-Moots YBB IS successful..still on majority of bikes sold by Moots..

-'Next level'..no comment. :)

Tickdoc
03-08-2019, 09:28 AM
Do you still use a flip phone for texting? Technology that works well is a very good thing. Makes our lives better-easier-more efficient-more comfortable.

Man, that was a great little phone! No, I’ve dropped the flip phone but that technology is in a whole different evolutionary cycle than the bicycle.

For the record, I still miss my old iPhone 5. If that little guy could take pictures as good as my iPhone X then I would go there happily.

I’ve dabbled in most of the new bike tech and have found that there are some “new” tech bike items I don’t like, active suspension being one of them. Disc brakes are another that I can live without, press fit bb and carbon frames another. Electronic shifting? No thanks. Haven’t tried a power meter yet, but seeing as I don’t ride with a garmin, I don’t see myself going there either.

Don’t get me wrong, I love seeing the new tech come out, and I bet this makes for a hell of the north and classics spectacular bike, but I doubt it would enhance my joy.

Give me a pretty day and a steel bike with any campy componentry circa 2008-14 and I am one happy dude. Manual transmissions are still the best too, imo, but that is a whole bother discussion.

SoCalSteve
03-08-2019, 09:46 AM
-Then it makes even less sense.

-More comfort with less PSI in fatter tires...but that's not high tech nor a marketing scheme..

-Moots YBB IS successful..still on majority of bikes sold by Moots..

-'Next level'..no comment. :)

I guess it’s a comfort + speed bike. Used by pro racers on cobbles is the way they market it. Is that the best for my needs? Probably not, just thought it was a cool concept, albeit a very expensive one.

SoCalSteve
03-08-2019, 09:48 AM
Man, that was a great little phone! No, I’ve dropped the flip phone but that technology is in a whole different evolutionary cycle than the bicycle.

For the record, I still miss my old iPhone 5. If that little guy could take pictures as good as my iPhone X then I would go there happily.

I’ve dabbled in most of the new bike tech and have found that there are some “new” tech bike items I don’t like, active suspension being one of them. Disc brakes are another that I can live without, press fit bb and carbon frames another. Electronic shifting? No thanks. Haven’t tried a power meter yet, but seeing as I don’t ride with a garmin, I don’t see myself going there either.

Don’t get me wrong, I love seeing the new tech come out, and I bet this makes for a hell of the north and classics spectacular bike, but I doubt it would enhance my joy.

Give me a pretty day and a steel bike with any campy componentry circa 2008-14 and I am one happy dude. Manual transmissions are still the best too, imo, but that is a whole bother discussion.

Which ones do you like? Seems you’ve named pretty much everything “tech” that a bike can have as something you don’t like.

Tickdoc
03-08-2019, 10:53 AM
Which ones do you like? Seems you’ve named pretty much everything “tech” that a bike can have as something you don’t like.

I think I like 90’s “tech” best. Damn I’m getting old. I like clipless pedals, does that count? Index shifting...that’s good tech.

old_fat_and_slow
03-08-2019, 04:33 PM
I think I like 90’s “tech” best. Damn I’m getting old. I like clipless pedals, does that count? Index shifting...that’s good tech.

I like the way you think! (Don't forget aero cable routing under the handlebar tape. That was a biggie too!)

oldpotatoe
03-09-2019, 07:25 AM

Ha, there really hasn't been anything 'bike' revolutionary since index shifting and clipless pedals..maybe road triples..but even those are no mas.

Yup, that fishing reel tech(index shifting) and ski tech(Look pedals) brought cycling back from the brink in the 80s..

gdw
03-09-2019, 09:51 AM
Ha, there really hasn't been anything 'bike' revolutionary since index shifting and clipless pedals..maybe road triples..but even those are no mas.

Yup, that fishing reel tech(index shifting) and ski tech(Look pedals) brought cycling back from the brink in the 80s..

Hyperglide cogs and their copies as well as pinned and ramped chainrings were game changers too. Quality front and rear suspension have made mountain biking more comfortable for the masses. That said, most of the other great leaps forward are not but the industry does its best to convince us otherwise.