PDA

View Full Version : The Basque Country

johnmdesigner
03-06-2019, 03:59 PM
Going to the Basque Country in early June. An eating trip not a cycling trip.
Hitting all the usual places. Wondering if anyone here has had an interesting experience out in the countryside between San Sebastián and Bilbao?
Anything you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. We will have a car.
A nice bike store with a unique jersey would always be desirable.
Many thanks!

Jellybird3
03-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Lucky! The drive between Bilbao & San Sebastian itself is memorable - windy and beautiful. Hope you got a sports car!

johnmdesigner
03-06-2019, 04:20 PM
Lucky! The drive between Bilbao & San Sebastian itself is memorable - windy and beautiful. Hope you got a sports car!

Oh Europe. The only place I enjoy driving a stick.

nachetetm
03-06-2019, 04:50 PM
Oh Europe. The only place I enjoy driving a stick.You are going to have fun then! The highway that goes from SS to Pamplona is like a giant rollercoaster with you in command. I never had so much fun in a highway.

eddief
03-06-2019, 04:51 PM
a lovely city. Of the cities I got to cycle through, Vitoria was the coolest.

johnmdesigner
03-06-2019, 05:00 PM
I once drove from Granada to Almuecar and scared the **** out of the missus.
No guard rails and you play chicken with the tour buses on the mountain curves.

Ozz
03-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Here you go: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=225718

dmurphey
03-06-2019, 08:37 PM
Close by is the Rioja wine region. Also, head down the highway along the north coast of Spain and stop in the big and little towns. Great food, great beaches, cool overlooks.

vav
03-06-2019, 08:49 PM
Spent almost 3 weeks last summer in Basque country / Cantabria.

3 places that I'd highly recommend are San Juan de Gaztelugtxe (about 45 min north of Bilbao ) and Hondarribia ( 20 min east of San Sebastian ) If time permits, cross the border into Saint Jean de Luz. Have fun.

Close to Bilbao visit also Castro Urdiales.

Wherever you go, make sure to try some chuleton vasco :hello:

redir
03-06-2019, 09:10 PM
If you are coming to Bilbao from the east to the west the drive is just amazing. Bilbao is such a cool city too. I really wish I had a bike when I was out there and the time to ride it but just going out there to eat, drink, and enjoy the sites is just spectacular. I love northern Spain, dare I call it that!

BTW if you think your Spanish is good, which I did of my self, It's not good, up there ;)

Assuming you are going in and out of Madrid, if you circle back round then don't miss out on Toledo and Segovia.

Laifer69
03-07-2019, 07:25 AM
If you like steak, please make time for Casa Julian in Tolosa. A short drive from San Sebastián. Even better is to take the train... and have a bottle (or two!) of red.

Have a good trip!

johnmdesigner
03-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions.
I'm hungry already!

RonW87
03-07-2019, 03:05 PM
Did the Rioja trip with Duvine last summer.

Some recommendations:

Marques de Riscal: Frank Ghery designed hotel with excellent restaurant.

Ezcaray: Hotel and 2-star Michelin Restaurant in a quaint out of the way village.

Guggenheim Bilbao: Duh!

Tapas in Logrono.

Rioja Vineyards: Muga, Marques de Riscal, one with a building that is a glass cube (forget the name).

Looked at many cycling shops but didn't find any with character.

redir
03-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Tapas in Logrono.

Oh man no doubt! Don't miss out on that experience.

isalgue
03-07-2019, 04:15 PM
Tapas in Calle del Laurel, tiny street with tapa bars on both sides, spent a few days there during the wine festival in Oct. Awesome place.
Oh man no doubt! Don't miss out on that experience.

RonW87
03-07-2019, 07:57 PM
Ezcaray: Hotel and 2-star Michelin Restaurant in a quaint out of the way village.

Echaurren Hotel Gastronomico

Restaurant: El Portal de Echaurren