PDA

View Full Version : Prolotherapy

dbnm
03-06-2019, 09:52 AM
I have some neck issues that continue to affect me and my riding.

A friend suggested prolotherapy and it's something that I am just starting to research.

Anyone here have this kind of therapy before?

berserk87
03-06-2019, 09:55 AM
I've never heard of it prior to your post. From a quick Googling, it says "Prolotherapy is a procedure and, therefore, not subject to FDA regulation. ... The agents used in the reviewed studies, such as dextrose and lidocaine, are approved for injection by the FDA but are not specifically approved for prolotherapy for joint and ligamentous injections, making such use off-label.Dec 1, 2018".

If you elect to have this done, would you mind posting an update afterward? I'm curious to see how it works out for you.

buddybikes
03-06-2019, 09:58 AM
I complained to my PT about it (cold early season) she gave me some upper back exercises as between your shoulder blades connect up into the neck.

Anything invasive, do you understand what you are working with for a problem?

dbnm
03-06-2019, 10:24 AM
I just turned 50. Last year I rode 6200 miles and I am hoping to hit 7000 miles this year.

With that being said, I've had issues with a spot between my shoulder blades, next to the spine, that "heats up" and burns. Usually occurs after 90 minutes on the bike.

I am going for massages on a regular basis and seeing a personal trainer. Nothing has helped yet. Yoga is next.

I am actually looking into an MRI to see if there is anything visible.

Prolo came up and I will definitely post more about it if I get it done.

benb
03-06-2019, 10:41 AM
With that being said, I've had issues with a spot between my shoulder blades, next to the spine, that "heats up" and burns. Usually occurs after 90 minutes on the bike.

That screams fit issue related to reach and/or narrow bars from personal experience. The shoulders don't like being rolled forward/extended so far for so long. Do it for years and the muscle ends up permanently unhappy about it till you correct the fit issue and do PT.

That kind of thing can lead to spasms in that area that are really painful from personal experience, and without getting older.

Really annoying issue for me. I am mostly past it but it affected me off the bike it messed up my shoulder so much.

dbnm
03-06-2019, 10:47 AM
I've been fitted twice and will be doing a Retul fit in Denver in March.

If that doesn't solve things than I will be looking at the medical side of things.

jimcav
03-06-2019, 11:27 AM
I had issue near/almost going under left shoulder blade that caused a burning type of pain along the spine up toward neck. dry needling (done with acupuncture needles) resolved it. i still have to do a "smell you opposite side armpit" stretch for my levator muscle that is in the same area.
good luck

Mikej
03-06-2019, 12:38 PM
I had some neck stiffness both sides couldn't turn my head and shoulder bade problems (levator scapulae muscle connects the neck and shoulder blade). I just bought a discounted multi-pack of hours at a chiro with a massage therapist. Took about 6, 1/2 hr massage sessions, no x-rays or anything. Not 100% but 90ish and cost me $300 and it was 1 block off my commute. Pretty non-invasive.

teleguy57
03-06-2019, 12:59 PM
My MD has trained under some of the leading prolotherapy researchers at the University of WI, and put out prolotherapy as a treatment for my knee flareup this fall. (History of torn meniscus, advancing osteoarthritis, scoped/trimmed about 10 years ago).

Four monthly rounds of 30-40 injections into the ligaments and tendons surrounding the knee; the concept is to stimulate inflammation in areas with low blood supply to create a stronger response. Last treatment was in January; he said to expect 4-6 months for improvement. Not sure if the treated knee is responding yet, but the other has gone downhill. Xray led to MRI concluding severe osteoarthritis and severe degradation since the prev MRI 10 years earlier. Prolotherapy is an option, but have been working with my PT (cyclist and skiing friend) who is very skilled with dry needling and we are seeing some good improvements.

BTW, big fan of dry needling (as well as acupuncture -- practitioners of both disciplines don't always get along well). I see dry needling as having helped with more specific musculature issues and have done it in association with conventional PT modalities. What you're describing seems like something where I'd consider dry needling based on my personal experience.

Still putting off a visit to the ortho doc and hopinig I can avoid surgery for a while at least.

benb
03-06-2019, 03:34 PM
I've been fitted twice and will be doing a Retul fit in Denver in March.

If that doesn't solve things than I will be looking at the medical side of things.

Here's the thing I ran into.

The fitter guy doesn't necessarily even recognize when they're causing a problem. Even if they have Retul.

If you go to a PT they won't necessarily know that the bike is the root cause.

Even if you realize the bike is the cause, the issue won't necessarily go away without both the bike fit changes + appropriate PT.

For me riding for too long with too much reach, etc.. basically caused all the muscles in my upper back to get stretched out and all the muscles on my chest to be tight. I've had to do the appropriate exercises once I got my bike fit working better.

The exercises were not hard at all.. but I doubt I'd have figured them out from any amount of searching the internet or fitness/training/whatever books.

I say back but when it flared up it felt more like the pain was in my neck.