PDA

View Full Version : OT: Anyone into Aquaponics?

William
03-06-2019, 09:31 AM
Planning on setting up a small system using media beds. Long shot I know but curious if anyone here has experience with it?

W.

MattTuck
03-06-2019, 09:54 AM
Shouldn't you wait to post this on April, 20? :banana:

benb
03-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Just drive up to Mass and buy retail.. ;)

redir
03-06-2019, 11:05 AM
We've got one of those little aerogardens. It's jsut for fun but it's kind of cool to grow lettuce, basil and other greens in the dead of winter.

William
03-06-2019, 02:34 PM
Just drive up to Mass and buy retail.. ;)

If I was going that route I would have to since the Guv and some retired state police have that all locked up here for the Med version and set up for retail if it comes to that.:)

That said no, just planning on growing various vegetable plants and letting the fish do all the feeding/fertilizing.

W.

Dude
03-06-2019, 02:47 PM
No direct experience with it but I did some research on it in grad school. Essentially, they are finicky and difficult to balance the pH of the water. Plan on losing fish as you figure it out. At scale, hydroponic is a much more forgiving/tolerant method of growing stuff and even at the household level it's much easier to manage.

benb
03-06-2019, 03:29 PM
All weed jokes aside I hadn't heard about this either and it does sound like a pretty interesting indoor hobby... kind of like keeping a terrarium or something I guess.

I didn't realize it at the time.. have you been to Disney World in recent years? They have a huge Aquaponics thing in Epcot.

William
03-07-2019, 06:35 AM
No direct experience with it but I did some research on it in grad school. Essentially, they are finicky and difficult to balance the pH of the water. Plan on losing fish as you figure it out. At scale, hydroponic is a much more forgiving/tolerant method of growing stuff and even at the household level it's much easier to manage.

I maintained a lot of aquariums growing up from small to very large set ups so I do have an inkling on monitoring and maintaining PH levels. That's one reason the aquaponics appeals to me, kind of blending two things I like doing.

All weed jokes aside I hadn't heard about this either and it does sound like a pretty interesting indoor hobby... kind of like keeping a terrarium or something I guess.

I didn't realize it at the time.. have you been to Disney World in recent years? They have a huge Aquaponics thing in Epcot.

I have not been to Epcot though it sounds interesting.

I'm thinking of going bigger than an indoor terrarium, but no where near as big as a commercial set up.

W.