PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this product, please ( disc brake content )

SoCalSteve
03-05-2019, 06:20 PM
Hi all,

Never used disc brakes. Don’t know much about them. But I’m slowly learning as a frame I’m interested in only comes in a flat mount-disc brake version.

Rather than spending big $$$ on replacing my ETap shifters-brake levers, I came across this item. Seems like it could be a great ( and a much cheaper ) way to build up this bike.

https://trpcycling.com/?product=hyrd

Lastly, I dont ride in rain and my riding doesn’t include super long steep descents.

Thoughts, opinions, experiences and flames welcomed.

Thank you all in advance!

Steve

nublar
03-05-2019, 06:33 PM
I have HYRD flat mounts and they have been perfect. The other alternative is the Juin Tech F1

R3awak3n
03-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Probably better than cable disc brakes, probably worst than full hydro brakes.

Gummee
03-05-2019, 06:39 PM
I have HYRD flat mounts and they have been perfect. The other alternative is the Juin Tech F1

I built a bike for a buddy with the Juin Tech brakes. They actually feel pretty darn good.

Key to any mechanically actuated disc brake is compressionless housing. The M-Sys housing I used isn't compressionless, but it's what the LBS had available. I knew they had it because I ordered it when I worked there! ...specifically for mechanical discs!

Jagwire and Yokozuna both make compressionless housing that work very well. I've used both on other bikes.

M

pdmtong
03-05-2019, 07:23 PM
Probably better than cable disc brakes, probably worst than full hydro brakes.
^ this
I built a bike for a buddy with the Juin Tech brakes. They actually feel pretty darn good.

Key to any mechanically actuated disc brake is compressionless housing. The M-Sys housing I used isn't compressionless, but it's what the LBS had available. I knew they had it because I ordered it when I worked there! ...specifically for mechanical discs!

Jagwire and Yokozuna both make compressionless housing that work very well. I've used both on other bikes. M

it's not perfect but if you want to use your existing kit then hy/rd + compression less housing is the way to go. but do NOT confuse your experience with how a full hydro system feels or performs

SoCalSteve
03-05-2019, 10:51 PM
^ this

it's not perfect but if you want to use your existing kit then hy/rd + compression less housing is the way to go. but do NOT confuse your experience with how a full hydro system feels or performs

I’m sure that is true. But I cannot imagine my needs would require full hydro. Or would they?

Thanks!

pdmtong
03-06-2019, 12:21 AM
Has nothing to do with your needs

It's all about the overall.
Function performance modulation lever pressure maintenance

HY/RD is a band-aid albeit a decent one but still a band-aid.

There was a reason for that product upon introduction but at this point it exists as a corner case for a dwindling population

I'm not saying yes or no for you. But be assured it's better than cable but not equivalent to full hydro

SlowPokePete
03-06-2019, 02:52 AM
I'd prefer Paul Klampers or would go full hydro.

SPP™

GonaSovereign
03-06-2019, 04:57 AM
i'd prefer paul klampers or would go full hydro.

Spp™

+1.

ColnagoC59
03-06-2019, 05:36 AM
If you're not riding in the rain, or engaged in steep long descents. I see absolutely no reason to mess with disc brakes. Seems you volunteered these facts for a reason. I'm guessing you thought about this and want disc brakes anyway for some reason that's not baked in logic. Maybe you think they look nice?

R3awak3n
03-06-2019, 05:44 AM
If you're not riding in the rain, or engaged in steep long descents. I see absolutely no reason to mess with disc brakes. Seems you volunteered these facts for a reason. I'm guessing you thought about this and want disc brakes anyway for some reason that's not baked in logic. Maybe you think they look nice?

Here we go again...

saab2000
03-06-2019, 05:45 AM

I would agree with this. And all the above statements. I’m not sure disc brakes are “needed” in SoCal unless you are really doing a lot of steep, technical descents. And even then maybe not. My quality rim brakes never ever leave me wishing for more in dry, paved road scenrios.

R3awak3n
03-06-2019, 06:08 AM
I would agree with this. And all the above statements. I’m not sure disc brakes are “needed” in SoCal unless you are really doing a lot of steep, technical descents. And even then maybe not. My quality rim brakes never ever leave me wishing for more in dry, paved road scenrios.

sure but why are we question why he wants/needs something? carbon bars are not needed yet people have them?!??

also maybe he wants to take up up up to Seattle and ride in some crazier routes? regardless, let the man have what he wants... and he wants hydro braking, none of this half way crap (and I agree with SPP, I think I rather have klampers than hy/rd, and definitely anything over spyres)

oldpotatoe
03-06-2019, 06:18 AM
I’m sure that is true. But I cannot imagine my needs would require full hydro. Or would they?

Thanks!
Lastly, I dont ride in rain and my riding doesn’t include super long steep descents.

If the frame is what you are after(disc) and etap/hydro($$!) is not in the cards, one of these 'hybrid' set ups is a decent solution, IMHO. Think about how much you actually use your brakes..I think the TRP or equivalent is gonna work for you. A $$ for full hydro(any of the 3 makers) doesn't seem 'worth it' to me.

Has nothing to do with your needs

I would say it's all about his needs..it's a tradeoff, $ vs how well these things stop you. No absolutes here.

SoCalSteve
03-06-2019, 07:35 AM
Thank you all for your responses!

My original post said that the frame I am interested in only comes in a flat mount disc version. Not a matter of needing them for any other reason than if I want this frameset, I have to get disc brakes.

No other reason. Thought I’d mitigate the cost by not having to replace my shifters.

Hakkalugi
03-06-2019, 07:41 AM
I’ve had both the TRP and Yokozuna/Juin Tech with eTap levers. I like the Yokozunas better due to better pad adjustability. As stated above, compressionless housing is critical and is included with the Yokozuna (but not the Juin Tech). If eTap hydro is a 10 for modulation and power, I’d give these a 9. I’m sort of considering trying the new 4-piston Yokozuna, but probably won’t get to it for some time.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2019, 07:43 AM

Nice, not...:eek:
My original post said that the frame I am interested in only comes in a flat mount disc version. Not a matter of needing them for any other reason than if I want this frameset, I have to get disc brakes.

The colnagoc59 post above even makes me tired...:)

ColnagoC59
03-06-2019, 07:50 AM
Nice, not...:eek:

The colnagoc59 post above even makes me tired...:)

sorry , no offense intended.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Just for you..:)

ColnagoC59
03-06-2019, 08:18 AM
Just for you..:)

own it

Gummee
03-06-2019, 08:24 AM

I agree with you. I have 4 mtn bikes and 2 CX bikes with hydro discs and while they're nice, *road* bikes ridden on predominantly dry days? Not needed.

WANT? that's another story.

In my case, it's more about 'I want all my wheels to be cross compatible' (get it?! Geez I crack myself up!) so I'm moving to all discs in the garage. It's going to be a slow process tho. $ are somewhat tight

M

bigbill
03-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Cable actuated hydraulic disc is pretty common on tandems and travel bikes. If it can stop a tandem........

ColnagoC59
03-06-2019, 09:07 AM
I agree with you. I have 4 mtn bikes and 2 CX bikes with hydro discs and while they're nice, *road* bikes ridden on predominantly dry days? Not needed.

WANT? that's another story.

In my case, it's more about 'I want all my wheels to be cross compatible' (get it?! Geez I crack myself up!) so I'm moving to all discs in the garage. It's going to be a slow process tho. $ are somewhat tight

M

c-59 is rim brake . c-64 is disc(still waiting for good weather to ride it which is kind of ironic). Bought it because I wanted a road bike to take to the swiss alps and Girona. I have a firefly but its built to a gravel bike spec and its less fun as a dedicated road bike

SoCalSteve
03-06-2019, 09:31 PM
A big thank you to everyone who weighed in on this. I now get it!!!

Much appreciated.....:banana:

tylercheung
03-18-2019, 11:24 PM

Steep technical descents are a hallmark of a lot of SoCal riding, no?

SoCalSteve
03-19-2019, 09:49 AM
Steep technical descents are a hallmark of a lot of SoCal riding, no?

That is actually a very true statement having ridden up and down many canyons in Malibu, Palos Verdes and other areas of socal.

TimD
03-19-2019, 12:38 PM
Have had Avid BB7 for years, they work fine.

Flat mount to post mount converters are available, for example https://trpcycling.com/product/flat-mount-to-post-mount-adapter/. Disclaimer, I haven't used these.