PDA

View Full Version : Source for 1 1/8 Alpha-Q Fork Insert?

srcarter
03-05-2019, 03:40 PM
I bought a second hand Alpha Q CX fork (1 1/8" steerer) on the forum. It didn't come with the Aluminum glue-in insert, but looks like it was used previously with a more standard FSA compression plug. From what I have read, the Alpha Qs were supposed to be used with an aluminum insert (and shouldn't be used without it).

Any leads on where I might find one? If not, any thoughts on a machine shop that could make one without breaking the bank?

Gummee
03-05-2019, 05:44 PM
The Cervelo forks are the same way. Come from the factory with a AL insert, some alcohol, and some epoxy.

Skip it and go with an Enve plug (or similar) because eventually that glue isn't glued any more

M

edited to add: if you really want one of my Cervelo fork kits, you can have one. Just pay postage

vqdriver
03-05-2019, 05:50 PM
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/alpha-q-fork-inserts-41134.html

skouri1
03-05-2019, 08:20 PM
I wondered if finding an appropriate seatpost shim would work .
Epoxied in .. same idea
My understanding is that the sleeve was structural as the steerer tube was thin

srcarter
03-05-2019, 08:33 PM
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/alpha-q-fork-inserts-41134.html

Thanks. I had seen that thread when searching.

srcarter
03-05-2019, 08:51 PM
The Cervelo forks are the same way. Come from the factory with a AL insert, some alcohol, and some epoxy.

Skip it and go with an Enve plug (or similar) because eventually that glue isn't glued any more

M

edited to add: if you really want one of my Cervelo fork kits, you can have one. Just pay postage

Would you mind checking the diameter of the Cervelo insert? I don't want you to have to ship unless it looks to be a fit. Thanks!

Keith A
03-05-2019, 09:21 PM
I'm in the same boat, but looking for a 1" instead of 1 1/8". Please post any information in here that you run across. Thanks!!!

smead
03-05-2019, 09:48 PM
I researched this a few years ago and although I don't have the Alpha Q documents handy, I remember reading direct from them that the sleeve IS structural, and required. I have had 2 alphaQ carbon fork steerers crack WITH the sleeve. Although the carbon cracked, the sleeve kept things together and avoided a catastrophic failure. Those steerers are very thin, and should not be used without the sleeve!

Edit: And when shopping for a used Alpha Q for that is advertised as having plenty of steerer to work with, beware that if the sleeve is already epoxied in, you cannot safely cut down that fork. The reinforced part with the insert (which is about 3" long) must be at or below the upper HS race. So if the sleeve is already in, the fork steerer length better be very close to what you need ..

paredown
03-06-2019, 06:29 AM

M

I believe the 1 1/8" forks on Cervelos were rebranded 3T Fundas--when they did a recall some folks ended up getting forks marked as such.

I recently cut and installed a Funda, and it did indeed come with the glue-in insert, the alcohol wipes for cleaning and the little pouch of epoxy. I too went back and forth on this, and ended up using the glue-in insert.

My back-up plan was to use one of the longer compression plugs--the one I picked up I think is made by ITM?--my thinking was that it would extend down past the fork/headset junction...

Dasarbule
03-06-2019, 07:19 AM
If you can't find what you need, shoot me a pm. I regularly make these threaded inserts for both 1" and 1⅛" inch forks.

Dasarbule
03-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Uh oh. Sorry for the vertigo, everyone

Keith A
03-06-2019, 07:25 AM
Edit: And when shopping for a used Alpha Q for that is advertised as having plenty of steerer to work with, beware that if the sleeve is already epoxied in, you cannot safely cut down that fork. The reinforced part with the insert (which is about 3" long) must be at or below the upper HS race. So if the sleeve is already in, the fork steerer length better be very close to what you need ..Just a FYI, I have been able to safely remove a glued-in sleeve on a fork and then cut the fork, and re-glue the insert.

unterhausen
03-06-2019, 07:37 AM
how did you remove the sleeve? The fork I have is very long, so if I was going to use it, I could cut it off below the sleeve and the steerer would probably still be too long for me. I was thinking of just cleaning the carbon off on my lathe, but that would probably be bad for me and the lathe.

oldpotatoe
03-06-2019, 07:45 AM
Just a FYI, I have been able to safely remove a glued-in sleeve on a fork and then cut the fork, and re-glue the insert.

Or just cut the fork with the insert in there and install another SFN..Maybe push the SFN lower first...

Keith A
03-06-2019, 07:48 AM
how did you remove the sleeve? The fork I have is very long, so if I was going to use it, I could cut it off below the sleeve and the steerer would probably still be too long for me. I was thinking of just cleaning the carbon off on my lathe, but that would probably be bad for me and the lathe.I should have been more precise in my comments, the mechanic at my LBS removed this for me. I'll have to check, but he had some sort of metal rod that fit exactly inside of the steerer tube and then he tapped on it until the insert popped out. He said that he had done this many of times. I'll try and get some more details on what he actually used to remove the insert.

unterhausen
03-06-2019, 08:00 AM
thanks. I am afraid the person that glued the insert into my fork was way more careful than most people, but I suppose it's worth a try.

Gummee
03-06-2019, 08:39 AM
If you can't find what you need, shoot me a pm. I regularly make these threaded inserts for both 1" and 1⅛" inch forks.

That right there seems a better idea than an epoxied AL sleeve

...but I'm no engineer

M

srcarter
03-06-2019, 12:39 PM
That right there seems a better idea than an epoxied AL sleeve

...but I'm no engineer

M

Nor am I, but I am going with this solution. Makes me feel better about avoiding fork failure. This forum delivers once again!

vqdriver
03-06-2019, 12:41 PM

ugh. wish i had seen that a year ago. would have saved me a fork.

smead
03-06-2019, 01:30 PM
WRT cutting the fork through an already installed sleeve, that will rarely leave the sleeve long enough to be at or below the HS race, unless you cut very little and/or have your stem slammed.

WRT "popping" out an epoxied sleeve, I would think this would be very difficult to do if it were epoxied in properly. Think about it - you have a very thin carbon steerer, and if you can pop out the epoxy, it'll probably take a layer of the carbon in places with it if it is stuck in there good. Just doesn't seem like a good idea ..

unterhausen
03-06-2019, 01:35 PM
that's what I'm thinking. If it is glued in well, the carbon is going to let loose.

Keith A
03-06-2019, 01:49 PM
Maybe mine wasn't glued in well, but I was there when the mechanic popped it out it there was no damage to the carbon or the sleeve. He said that he had done this "many times" before.

Keith A
03-10-2019, 04:41 PM
Just a quick FYI...
I measured the specs for my 1" Alpha Q EX fork and the wall thickness is just 2mm, compared to 3mm on my 1" Serotta F3 fork.

Spoker
03-10-2019, 06:16 PM
I warmed the insert before removing (heated rod in the shim only, not too hot!).
Epoxy gets soft and insert can be removed.

Dasarbule
03-19-2019, 08:00 AM
@scarter , @Keith A

Come and get 'em.

Slightly off topic, can anyone please tell me how to keep my images from rotating like this? It is driving me crazy.

Keith A
04-24-2019, 06:43 PM
My threaded insert arrived today. It looks great and fits perfect in the 1" Alpha Q fork. Thanks Clayton.

SpeedyChix
04-25-2019, 07:53 AM
@Clayton, Seeing your pic: are you also making ratchet drive rings and DT end caps?