PDA

View Full Version : Stan's tubeless valves hold air without sealant?

zambenini
03-05-2019, 03:19 PM
Yo, everybody. Should Stan's tubeless valve cores be holding air without any sealant yet in the tires? I am obviously gonna run sealant, but before I make the mess, I thought I'd make sure it's properly installed or not somehow defective.

Rear is holding air quite well for not having sealant. Front is leaking audibly at the core. Kind of thing the sealant handles?

Thanks,
John Z.

BikeNY
03-05-2019, 03:23 PM
The valves should completely seal without any sealant. Tires/rims is a different story and will depend on lots of things.

bigbill
03-05-2019, 04:30 PM
I had that when the tape split around the stem. One wheel was good, the other leaked. It might have eventually sealed but I went ahead and put another piece of tape in. I use punch to slowly push through the tape to create the hole instead of using anything sharp. Angular edges produce splits, round holes don't.

vqdriver
03-05-2019, 04:33 PM
it should seal.
try removing and reinstalling with it 'clocked' a little different. if no go, retape because that interface with the valve stem is the issue. in my case, the stem was in for too long and the previous position left an indentation in the rubber. a new valve stem fixed it