PDA

View Full Version : Serotta CDA

allez1952
11-27-2006, 05:41 AM
hello, new/old guy, first post here on serotta forums.

I am purchasing a Serotta CDA and would appreciate opinions on the value of carbon rear stays/tr-angle compared to steel rear stays/tr-angle.

Aesthetics the carbon looks super cool, my concerns is what kind of difference is their in performance/ride/agility/stiffness,handleing and complance with concerns to the bottom bracket area comparing a steel main frame, with a carbon fork, to a carbon rear tri-angle. This is really the only thing holding me back on the final sign off of the draft.

I have been road riding since 1979 and currently own a waterford 2200 lugged road bike, a trek madone , and a couple of other steel frames that are converted into single speeds, {the old guy part}. I am not to impressed with an all carbon bike, just does not do it for me, they ride nice and are comfortable but just not what I expect or enjoy.

I would appreciate whatever input and difference or opinions that I can get here.
Regards,
Gary Smith

Smiley
11-27-2006, 06:40 AM
You failed to give us your weight and size , not that that would have any restrictions on the CS stays , I went ahead and stuck with steel stays and ran a wider tire and am happy with the results. My CDA is a 58.5 cm frame and I am about 180 lbs . For my wifes bike which is being drafted now were also going with traditional steel stays. I really think if your looking for a faster look of the bike a CS stays would be my choice but if your looking for a tradional look stick with steel. I ride the steel stays and am very happy with the ride of the bike.

allez1952
11-27-2006, 07:29 AM
You failed to give us your weight and size , not that that would have any restrictions on the CS stays , I went ahead and stuck with steel stays and ran a wider tire and am happy with the results. My CDA is a 58.5 cm frame and I am about 180 lbs . For my wifes bike which is being drafted now were also going with traditional steel stays. I really think if your looking for a faster look of the bike a CS stays would be my choice but if your looking for a tradional look stick with steel. I ride the steel stays and am very happy with the ride of the bike.

did not think of that . apologize

height 5'10"
weight 181 in winter 175 in spring and summer.
Waterford - Top tube c/c-57.25cm
seat mast- 59.14 cm middle of btm bracket to center of seat mast.
more of a gear masher than a spinner.

the sizing on the CDA is is close to the waterford with some changes by serotta. the bike will have a 3 degree sloping top tube.

Equipment that will come off of the the Trek
D/A 10 speed
Mavic open Pros 32 spoke rear-- 28 front both D/A hubs and cass.
San marcos era saddle
Thompson seat post 0 degree set-back
Richie stem
Easton carbon drop bars 44"

Steelhead
11-27-2006, 07:31 AM
I am glad you posted this - I am in the planning stages of my first cda and will most likely go with carbon seat stay, both for a slight wieght reduction ( very slight I am sure ) some vibration dampening, and from a visual standpoint to match the carbon for up front. :banana:

Big Dan
11-27-2006, 07:32 AM
All steel........ :)

dave thompson
11-27-2006, 08:13 AM
I like the look of the carbon seat stays on the CDA. Whether there is any substantial differences I couldn't say. Carbon stays are fast! :D

allez1952
11-27-2006, 08:25 AM
I like the look of the carbon seat stays on the CDA. Whether there is any substantial differences I couldn't say. Carbon stays are fast! :D

off topic.
Dave,
Since you are too old to be an E-4 I appreciate your sons service.

SEMPER FI

Serotta PETE
11-27-2006, 08:27 AM
I have ridden both....It really comes down to your preference in looks. As to ride difference - I can not notice any. My nephew has a 62cm with carbon and loves his.....

RedCoeurd'Acier
11-27-2006, 08:27 AM
I would stick with the steel stays!!

allez1952
11-27-2006, 08:33 AM
I would stick with the steel stays!!

that is pretty much the direction that I am leaning towards. Even though the carbon looks super cool just trying to figure out if it would be more benefical than the steel stays.
I assume the the carbon stays have a replacment rear derr. hanger

dave thompson
11-27-2006, 08:36 AM
off topic.
Dave,
Since you are too old to be an E-4 I appreciate your sons service.

SEMPER FI
Thanks. He recently returned from his 2nd tour in Iraq and is gearing up for another one next year. Kid's got bigger stones than me.

allez1952
11-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Thanks. He recently returned from his 2nd tour in Iraq and is gearing up for another one next year. Kid's got bigger stones than me.

what is he a Grunt 0311, {squad -leader}

dave thompson
11-27-2006, 08:41 AM
what is he a Grunt 0311, {squad -leader}
0231 Intel and diggin' it! He's going to SERE school in Feb, trying for pistol quals this week and says he has put in for Scout Sniper too.

allez1952
11-27-2006, 08:53 AM
0231 Intel and diggin' it! He's going to SERE school in Feb, trying for pistol quals this week and says he has put in for Scout Sniper too.

Outstanding if he makes Scout sniper, more than likely, of course it has been many years, he will be placed with Force Recon, is he out of Camp Pend./lejuene, or Hawaii.