PDA

View Full Version : Specialized Torch 3 shoes?

BobbyJones
03-05-2019, 03:20 AM
Hi All.

Has anyone been using these? Last season saw a lot of dirt / gravel along with too much walking- hoping to get away without beating up another pair of Sworks.

For ref, my faves were the Sworks 4. Wasn't a huge fan of the 5's, but they worked ok.

Thanks in Advance.

jfranci3
03-05-2019, 10:36 AM
I had them and sold them.
Pros - top notch shoe. Good all around support - you could really pull hard on them with the wires pretty loose and the shoe will stay put.
Cons - interior ankle bone collar too high - hurts, boa wires too short, boa has no QR - pain to get in/out of. The 2.0 shoe is likely a better shoe.
Cons for non-road - this is a terrible shoe for anything but pure road.

Buy an XC / CX shoe like Shimano's XC line, Specialized XC line, Lake, Northwave XC line. You'll need a new pedal, but once you find one, it's not a big change. Try SpeedPlay frogs.

Rant: For high end gravel shoes and MTB shoes, why oh why do they make the stiff sole extend beyond the cleat? My old Shimano XC61 carbon midsole shoes were great for riding and very walkable. Now I can't find anything light and stiff that's walkable. I'll accept foot -rock protection as answer, but there should be a walkable shoe on offer.

owly
03-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Rant: For high end gravel shoes and MTB shoes, why oh why do they make the stiff sole extend beyond the cleat? My old Shimano XC61 carbon midsole shoes were great for riding and very walkable. Now I can't find anything light and stiff that's walkable. I'll accept foot -rock protection as answer, but there should be a walkable shoe on offer.

You might be able to find a NOS XC61 around. There's a couple on ebay.

The Pearl Izumi X-Project PRO seems to be the closest modern fit for what you're chasing, however there's numerous reports about the lugs not being long lasting.

BobbyJones
03-05-2019, 11:34 PM
I appreciate you guys taking the time to post and the input is nice, but I think you've missed the point.

My question was about Torch 3 shoes. Not what MTB shoe / Pedal combos I should be looking at.

It would be great if this query didn't evolve into a MTB thread.

smokersteve
03-06-2019, 01:13 PM
I have been using the Torch 3.0 for about 8 months and really like them.
Love the double boa and how it clicks to tighten and also clicks to un tighten. When its hot out and my feet swell I just loosen the boas a few clicks and I'm good to go.
The soles are pretty stiff but not as stiff as the S works. The Torch 3.0 are definitely more comfortable than the S works.
A buddy of mine got some at the same time and he is pleased with them also.

jfranci3
03-08-2019, 03:51 PM
I appreciate you guys taking the time to post and the input is nice, but I think you've missed the point.

My question was about Torch 3 shoes. Not what MTB shoe / Pedal combos I should be looking at.

It would be great if this query didn't evolve into a MTB thread.

I did answer your question. Like I said, the padding around the ankle is too high for my anke and it is too firm. The boa wire is too short on the Torch 3.0. The Boa is also not quick release, so they take too long to get on/off. Otherwise, they are what you expect. The sole is nearly infinitely stiff and anyone who complains about it not being stiff enough is splitting hairs, wearing a size 15 shoes, or 350lb. The Shimano RC7 & RC9, Spec 2.0 are better fitting shoes on the same theme that perform better.