PDA

View Full Version : Shimano Nexus Hubs - Durable?

Tommasini53
11-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Hello,
I'm looking for a townie for running erands, a short commute to work, and just generally trying to leave the car parked whenever I can. Several bikes I'm looking at use the Shimano Nexus rear hub. It seems like a nice system; 8 speed internal gears.

So, anyone with some real world experience with the Nexus???? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I'm looking for low maintainence and durability.

thanks in advance.

ps. the front runners are the Bianchi Milano and Breezer.

csm
11-26-2006, 09:23 PM
I think they are durable. the milano is cool.

Bittersweet
11-27-2006, 08:04 AM
i have been using a 3sp Nexus for about 5-6yrs. I have done nothing to make it run smoothly and have tortured it in rain, sleet and snow. Works fine.

Lots of great alternatives in the city bike market. Super stylish but expensive: www.jorgandolif.com

old_school
11-27-2006, 09:09 AM
I had a Nexus 7 speed on, of all things, my chopper ... found it to be a pain in the azz. It seemed to constantly need adjusting, as it would soon start slipping gears. Granted, this was an earlier model, so the current generation may be much improved.

If you are looking for a low maintenance, 'round town/short commuter, have you considered going fixed ... or even a flip flop hub - if your prefer the freewheel option?

Ken Robb
11-27-2006, 09:50 AM
Sheldon Brown at Harris Cyclery.com has written about these and owns at least one bike with Nexus.