PDA

View Full Version : Spectrum cycles nearing the end of the road

Tom Kellogg
03-01-2019, 06:13 AM
RELEASE 03/01/2019:

After a combined 80 years of building frames and bicycles, Tom Kellogg and Jeff Duser of Spectrum Cycles have decided to close up shop. Orders for new bicycles will be taken until July 31st of this year, and once those builds are complete, Tom Kellogg and Jeff Duser are stepping away from their passion of making beautiful bicycles. Not one more Spectrum Cycles frame will be built.

Tom began building bicycles in 1976. Not only is that a lot of experience and a lot of frames, but it is also a lot of time at the bench. We are proud of what we have accomplished over the last four decades and appreciate the countless years of joy that our work has provided for thousands of cyclists. We are honored that so many people have put their trust in us, given us an opportunity to work for them and to make a living doing what we love.

It is nearly time for us to walk away from our work. And that is the plan: to walk away from the bench without regret. We won't sell the business. When we hang up the torch, put down our last file and shoot our last coat of clear, we're done.

There is now only one chance left to get a new Spectrum frame. We are taking orders for custom steel and titanium frames for the next five months. We will then close our order book and take as long as we need to complete those orders. We are not limiting the number of orders, but we will not accept any order after July. Don't wait. Time flies. Trust us on that.

We also have a limited number of '70s frame kits available for builds if you are interested in real mid-'70s steel frames built by folks who cut their teeth in that era. Our modern steel frames are higher-performance bicycles, but the old ones sure do look nice and feel wonderful. No one makes them at our level anymore.

As wonderful as many other modern titanium frames are, Tom has a longer legacy in modern titanium frames than anyone currently building with the material. He has been involved in every one of the modern era's titanium frame advancements and he knows how to make the material sing.

If you want one of our bicycles, this is your last chance. Hit our website and after looking things over, download the order form for the last frame we will ever build for you.

Spectrum Cycles | The Perfect Bike Does Not Exist Until We Build it for You.
610-398-1986

AngryScientist
03-01-2019, 06:21 AM
Wow Tom, congratulations!

The Merlin i got way back when with your name on the chainstay is what really made me understand what a well designed bike was all about, and was my introduction to great bicycles, it remains the gold standard for how a bike should ride and handle.

The number of smiles you guys have put on people's faces over the years must be the best part of the job. Enjoy you're "retirement" and whatever the next adventure brings Tom!

Lionel
03-01-2019, 06:48 AM
Congrats Tom. Awesome career. My Spectrum is a truly wonderful bike.

oldpotatoe
03-01-2019, 07:14 AM
wow, first Ritchie and now Tom...the bike biz is a-changin'

OtayBW
03-01-2019, 07:26 AM
Yours were always one of the ones of real interest to me...but alas....!
Good luck! I'm sure you must be tired after 80 years! Wait.....

weisan
03-01-2019, 07:27 AM
I currently have three Merlins and one Spectrum titanium, all designed by Tom.

Does that make me a fan?

You bet!

Run...folks, don't walk.

No fear.

Lionel
03-01-2019, 07:27 AM
In all seriousness, I cannot think of what could be improved on my Spectrum Super Ti. I doubt building a better Ti bike is possible (I had a few :)). If you are looking at a Ti frame buy I'd get in line asap NOW.

nobuseri
03-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Congrats for a job well done. Props!

Bob Ross
03-01-2019, 08:07 AM
I don't begrudge anyone taking that well-deserved step into hard-earned retirement, and I am thrilled for Tom and Jeff. But this news still makes me sad

...mostly because it means I'll never get a custom Spectrum now. :(

Bravo gents, and good luck in the next chapters of your lives. Thanks for all the beautiful bikes.

avalonracing
03-01-2019, 08:08 AM
Wow, good for you, Tom. And thanks for the advance warning. I have some decisions to make before the end of July!

Blue Jays
03-01-2019, 08:10 AM
"...mostly because it means I'll never get a custom Spectrum now. :-( ..."

Why? You can place a deposit and put your name in the queue up to July 31, 2019.

Bob Ross
03-01-2019, 08:15 AM
Why? You can place a deposit and put your name in the queue up to July 31, 2019.

Because other than to satisfy a perverse desire for pure extravagant vanity/hoarding there's no way I can justify ordering a new bike this year...or, frankly, any time in the next ~10 years.

NHAero
03-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Congrats to both of you - what a long run of the best in cycling! Every one of your products I've seen is stunning. A good friend nearby has a Cyrene - I've never seen anything else like it.

MattTuck
03-01-2019, 08:37 AM
Congrats.

johnniecakes
03-01-2019, 08:41 AM
I have ridden many derbies with Tom and there are few better guys. Congratulations on prospering through a long career in a tough business

91Bear
03-01-2019, 08:43 AM
wow, first Ritchie and now Tom...the bike biz is a-changin'

Don't forget Bruce Gordon a few years back.

djg
03-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Tom, I just want to say thank you for building me a great bike (with a beautiful paint job too). You’re the tops — glad you are winding down on your own terms.

93KgBike
03-01-2019, 09:15 AM
What a week!

Congratulations to you both. I've had many wallpapers of your work.

And like others, your mark will continue to be a benchmark for American fabrication! Thank you.

Have fun.

FlashUNC
03-01-2019, 09:24 AM
I was just speaking with someone last night about framebuilders and both agreed Spectrum and Tom were in that rarified Top 5.

Congrats to Tom and Jeff.

Mzilliox
03-01-2019, 09:28 AM
congrats...

That boys 2 men songs comes to mind. "end of the road"

never had the pleasure to ride one of yours, but it was close a few times. i suppose that day still may arrive.

best of luck

weaponsgrade
03-01-2019, 11:24 AM
It's a big changing of the guard this week. Tom, congrats on your run of carrying the torch. My brother-in-law has a Spectrum I bought him. I grew up in the next county over - Bucks Country. I didn't get into road biking until much later in life and after I had moved out of the area. I still feel a shared connection to my home stomping grounds and have often fantasized about taking a little excursion to the barn when I go back east to visit family.

Blue Jays
03-01-2019, 11:42 AM
"...My brother-in-law has a Spectrum I bought him..."
In other breaking news, weaponsgrade was just voted "In-Law of the Decade" by Gracious Family magazine.

cnighbor1
03-01-2019, 11:43 AM
enjoy
Charles

berserk87
03-01-2019, 11:51 AM
Tom and Jeff both had a hand in retubing a DeRosa that I had stacked up in a crash early in my race career. Tom counseled me via phone about the repair and I think that Jeff actually did the physical work.

Not only did they raise my DeRosa from the dead, they embellished it with a nicer coat of paint than from the factory (it was kinda like the factory paint scheme on steroids) and added a few cool custom decals that were subtle but awesome. The only downside was that this gave my wife room to joke that the DeRosa was the only bike that I ever bought twice.

They have left their mark on American cycling in a good way. Thanks for being part of the journey, guys.

bob heinatz
03-01-2019, 11:54 AM
Congratulation to both Tom and Jeff. Yes it is well deserved. It also marks a time when tradtional hand filed lugged steel bikes are slowly disappearing. I have always wanted to have Tom & Jeff build me a steel bike but it is not in the budget this year. Anyway I still have a Spectrum Ti frame to build up sometime in the near future. Best of luck in retirement.

weaponsgrade
03-01-2019, 02:57 PM
In other breaking news, weaponsgrade was just voted "In-Law of the Decade" by Gracious Family magazine.

Well, it was a used one. The sad part is that I don’t think he rides it much.

Jef58
03-01-2019, 08:04 PM
As in the e-richie thread, congratulations to another distinguished career from another mainstay in American frame building. Fact is, both scenarios are not some faceless, nameless companies. Both were active participants in engaging in the cycling community throughout their time in business. That is the X factor that cannot be replaced... Good luck.

rnhood
03-02-2019, 08:23 AM
Some of the nicest scalloped seat stays I’ve ever seen were on Spectrums.

Climb01742
03-02-2019, 08:53 AM
I was lucky enough to visit the barn. Really cool experience. Memorable. Some of the most talented folks you meet are the most unassuming, unpretentious too. The barn and Tom are about as authentic as it gets.

Kirk007
03-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Ugh. To get back in line or be happy with what I've got. I'm glad I made it to the barn a couple years ago!

Congrats Tom and Jeff; your work is an amazing legacy.

HenryA
03-02-2019, 05:33 PM
Congratulations, gentlemen.
Have a great new life.

soulspinner
03-03-2019, 09:48 AM
I need to save some $

charliedid
03-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Wow somehow missed this originally.

Best regards Tom!

Bravo

tv_vt
03-03-2019, 12:04 PM
Happy for Spectrum guys, but a loss for the rest of us. I may have to think about this. The one second hand Spectrum ti frame I had was amazing. Tweaking it to be custom for me in a new frame is very tempting.

cmbicycles
03-03-2019, 08:26 PM
I worked in a shop in PA that sent a few repairs up to Tom. Always a pleasure to talk to him and kept Spectrum at the top of my short list based on those interactions... and the Merlins we sold and ti Super that the shop owner rode. End of an era. Sorry I won't get to have one made for me.

I remember sending a customers Jim Redcay bike up to the barn a week before she left on a cross country ride as we noticed a cracked head tube in her last check over on the bike. They fixed the broken head tube, did a quick paint to protect the repaired area, and sent it back in time to make the trip. It went back for the full re finish when she returned from the trip and looked awesome. Tom's paint work was always incredible. Best in whatever the future holds to Tom and Jeff.

pbarry
03-03-2019, 10:24 PM
I worked in a shop in PA that sent a few repairs up to Tom. Always a pleasure to talk to him and kept Spectrum at the top of my short list based on those interactions... and the Merlins we sold and ti Super that the shop owner rode. End of an era. Sorry I won't get to have one made for me.

I remember sending a customers Jim Redcay bike up to the barn a week before she left on a cross country ride as we noticed a cracked head tube in her last check over on the bike. They fixed the broken head tube, did a quick paint to protect the repaired area, and sent it back in time to make the trip. It went back for the full re finish when she returned from the trip and looked awesome. Tom's paint work was always incredible. Best in whatever the future holds to Tom and Jeff.

^^This.

Tom and Jeff are master craftsmen who can and will do repairs on old school bikes as well as build contemporary frames, and still fabricate lugs in-shop. Amazing. My biggest regret in the bike biz was not jumping on a job offer from Tom some 28 years ago.

Be well, Gentlemen, you have earned a respite from the bench/torch/keyboard/paint shop. :beer:

WNC rider
07-31-2019, 08:08 AM
Well, today is the last day to get your order in to Spectrum.

I wish nothing but the best for Tom and Jeff in their future endeavors and retirement!

I visited them in April, and it was an awesome experience. Tom and Jeff checked out a Ross Signature (full Reynolds 531) that I own.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/46729838965_c25fe24fc0_h.jpg

Tom Kellogg
07-31-2019, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the note and photo. We have now closed our order book. But boy it is a big one. We are now about a year back with titanium orders and about nine months on steel. I'd hoped to have somewhat less than that at this point, but I also had to be fair about the whole thing.
Riding into the sunset,

texbike
07-31-2019, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the note and photo. We have now closed our order book. But boy it is a big one. We are now about a year back with titanium orders and about nine months on steel. I'd hoped to have somewhat less than that at this point, but I also had to be fair about the whole thing.
Riding into the sunset,

Congratulations to you guys! Thank you for your contributions to the sport over all of these years!!!

Texbike

Clean39T
07-31-2019, 06:52 PM

Riding into the sunset,

Wish I could have made it in, but just wasn't in the cards to be able to travel out there until late in the year. Congrats on the full order book though - it has to feel good to close the doors on such a high note and know how much respect the community has for you two.. [emoji481]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Malinois
07-31-2019, 07:00 PM
Your work brings so much joy to every single rider I know that owns or has owned one of your creations. Thanks to everyone involved with Spectrum for putting passion and craftsmanship out there for the world to enjoy, you guys rock.

weisan
07-31-2019, 07:02 PM
https://www.spectrum-cycles.com/history.php

History

May, 1976
Tom graduates from The University of Rochester with a BA in Sociology, signs on for a 5 year apprenticeship with custom frame builder Bill Boston of Sweedsboro, NJ. and is fired in about two and a half months.

September 1976
Obsessed with bicycle construction, Tom quietly builds his first five hand made frames in a shed in New Hampshire.

October 1976
Kellogg moves to Allentown, PA. and sets up shop as Tom Kellogg Frames.

1977 - November, 1980
Tom Kellogg Frames are ridden to two professional world championships, two amateur silver world medals and over 20 national championships.

November, 1980 - June, 1982
Tom sets up the legendary "Signature" department at Ross Bicycles and develops the Ross Signature line. After a life threatening motorcycle accident, Tom leaves Ross Bicycles with legendary finisher Michael Overcash and founds Spectrum Cycles.

March 1985
Tom hires Ross Bicycles Master Builder Jeff Duser away from the Signature Division of Ross.

Winter of '87-'88
Tom Kellogg works with newly formed Merlin Metal Works to develop the first "modern" titanium road frame and production begins February 1988.

July 1988
The first Spectrum Custom Titanium bicycles are built.

October 1991
Tom tests the first "Super" or "Extra-Light" in October '91 and Titanium Frames are forever changed.

Summer 1993
Spectrum conducts the testing of Time's first carbon fork during summer of '93. The first prototype is virtually unrideable. Time is persuaded to improve the fork for Merlin and Spectrum to Tom's specifications. Since then, Tom has been asked to road test many of the top carbon forks now on the market. His prototype and testing skills are sought after by the best in the industry. Spectrum continues consulting Merlin Metal works in an ongoing basis as their new products are developed and tested.

2006 - 2007
Tom acts as Reynolds' outside consultant in the development of the Reynolds UL high performance fork. He was instrumental in determining the various ride and stiffness characteristics. He developed new bench testing procedures now used by many in the industry to ensure superior performance.

2001-2009
Spectrum's 25th anniversary steel bicycles were conceived to celebrate a quarter century of Spectrum excellence. 25 special edition, numbered frames custom built by Tom and Jeff. Most are too beautiful to ride...and they are all gone.

2006-Present
Spectrum's 30th anniversary steel bicycles were developed to honor the classic builders who were Tom's mentors when he started building in the mid 70s. Using only materials available by the late 70s, these frames are true classics. Hand numbered frames custom built by Tom and Jeff. The materials for only a few more are still available for reservation.

2010-Present
After Merlin discontinued custom frame production, Tom and Rob Vandermark of Seven Cycles reestablished their working relationship from the early days at Merlin in order to enable Spectrum to continue sourcing their custom frames from the premier titanium builders in the world. Merlin continues to provide Spectrum specific frame materials and Seven provides their fabrication expertise. This arrangement has enabled Tom to keep an even tighter control over all aspects of the Spectrum titanium frame production.

Retirement announcement (https://www.spectrum-cycles.com/images/downloads/Retirement1.pdf)

pbarry
07-31-2019, 07:30 PM
Finish up that list and go get some sunshine, you two. ;)

nobuseri
07-31-2019, 07:40 PM
Congrats on a job well done!

d_douglas
08-01-2019, 12:07 AM
Ha! Such a great story. I inquired about a new frame but just couldnt commit to it. I now kinda regret that choice as a frame made by you two would be legendary.

Happy welding those last few frames!!

redir
08-01-2019, 09:40 AM
Going out with a bang! I'm sure the last weld will bring a tear to your eye but forget about it and go enjoy retirement.

David Kirk
08-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Tom - you have just reason to be proud of what you two have accomplished over the years. The body of top shelf work is very impressive but even more so is the fact that you have treated your customers well and the way your customers and fellow builders feel about you is the real deal. Making nice bikes isn't really that hard - making others smile when they think about you is a bigger challenge. Nice work.

As I start to contemplate my own ride into the sunset I'll keep your example in mind. Enjoy the ride back to the barn and then look forward to putting your feet up.

Congratulations.

dave

Dino Suegiù
08-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Congratulations on a career constantly defined by absolute class and wonderful contributions. All communication was always reciprocated so politely and professionally; a rare thing, especially in this day. The work comes through the attitude as well as the skills, and Spectrum's in both cases was/is truly superb. https://forums.thepaceline.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

Moorecw
08-02-2019, 06:51 AM
Just bought my first “new to me” Spectrum.