PDA

View Full Version : hey Sooooo i need some help!

dsimon
02-28-2019, 07:07 PM
I have a parlee z3 with an aluminum seat post and its stuck it wont budge and I didn't even put any carbon paste in it. I'm going to get some deep penetrating oil but is there anything else i can do?

AngryScientist
02-28-2019, 07:10 PM
turn it upside down in your work stand. remove a water bottle cage and blast the hell out of the seat tube with penetrating oil. put some cardboard or a shop towel under the bike, it will drip out. be very liberal with the penetrating oil.

let it sit overnight.

tomorrow, but the seatpost in a bench vise (saddle removed) and use the frame for leverage to twist it.

dsimon
02-28-2019, 07:12 PM
i just wanted to lower it a tad:bike:

peanutgallery
02-28-2019, 07:13 PM
install a seat you don't care about and apply heat to the seat tube with a paint stripping gun. Don't get too crazy with the heat but get it warm. Phone a friend, its a 2 person job from there

Louis
02-28-2019, 07:13 PM
How hard did you try to remove it?

How far down the ST is it?

How important is it that you try to salvage the post?

Your last resort will be to cut off the protruding portion of the post (but not all the way down to the ST) then using a hacksaw blade in the type of holder I show below, you carefully cut a slot in the side of the post until you get close to the ID of the ST, at which point you ought to be able to remove what's left.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/2bc1e557-f8fb-4088-a1b4-d9290c0d6b3e/svn/stanley-hand-saws-20-220-64_1000.jpg

dsimon
02-28-2019, 07:20 PM
yea its a standard height i just went from 170 to 172.5 and need to lower a tade and kinda like it

FlashUNC
02-28-2019, 07:28 PM
If it can't budge, you're best solution after it's out is replacing it with a new post. Odds are getting it out will be unfriendly to the post anyways.

Peter P.
02-28-2019, 08:50 PM
turn it upside down in your work stand. remove a water bottle cage and blast the hell out of the seat tube with penetrating oil. put some cardboard or a shop towel under the bike, it will drip out. be very liberal with the penetrating oil.

let it sit overnight.

tomorrow, but the seatpost in a bench vise (saddle removed) and use the frame for leverage to twist it.

Right now, this is your best bet. It may take a lot of penetrating oil because some will flow inside the seatpost. Popular penetrating oils include Kroil and Liquid Wrench.

I assume Parlee's have a carbon seat tube I.D. and not aluminum. It matters if you try to cut the seat tube out.

And HERE'S (https://www.velonews.com/2003/01/bikes-and-tech/making-it-work-get-that-post-out_3377) pretty much the definitive path to removing a stuck seatpost, by framebuilder Lennard Zinn

dsimon
03-02-2019, 12:54 PM
I’m tired what do I need to put down the tube to prevent this again?

ultraman6970
03-02-2019, 01:05 PM
You have to put grease on those things, no other way...

1st clean that seatpost really good and put some white lithium grease and put that iniside the seat tube and seatpost... then put some assembly paste around the clamp area of that seatpost and you should be good to.

Next option get a carbon seatpost... but that will need grease and carbon assembly paste too...

dddd
03-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Congrat's, how did you get it out?

Looks dry, I would replenish the grease regularly, maybe twice per season depending on your riding location.

You might or might not need a fancy Grip grease. I would try water proof grease myself. Use a rod and coat the inside of the seat tube, then grease the post itself before inserting it back in. Hopefully you marked your post height(?).

Maybe get a carbon seatpost?

I think that I would only ever use a cheap bike on a trainer, except perhaps at a race venue. The sweating from trainer "mileage" can eat up parts of your bike, and the wear items are more costly as well. But I could see someone taking a different view in this regard.

Hindmost
03-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Was all that length of post beneath the orange tape inserted? If so, that's a lot of post inside a tube (increases the effects when bad things happen.)

dsimon
03-02-2019, 03:15 PM
I used the finish line chill zone/ WD40 silicone spray and boiling water. man it took about 4 hours. "Im tired"
and yes that was all inside the bike that's they way I bought it I have never really thought of trimming a seat post.
this time I added parks anti-cease/corrosion

dddd
03-02-2019, 03:22 PM
I used the finish line chill zone/ WD40 silicone spray and boiling water. man it took about 4 hours. "Im tired"
and yes that was all inside the bike that's they way I bought it I have never really thought of trimming a seat post.
this time I added parks anti-cease/corrosion

I can sympathize, man.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/755/32676584522_b1e248cae9_b.jpg

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2525/32846896136_a0cf2735ae_b.jpg

zzy
03-02-2019, 03:28 PM
that may be the most elaborate setup i've ever seen to pull a post - i love it. and the whiskey. it's ALWAYS a good idea to move a post a bit every once and a while, especially with an alu post in a steel frame.

R3awak3n
03-02-2019, 03:48 PM

Carbon post (but these can still get stuck in there so carbon paste on there).

Good job though you did it!

cmg
03-02-2019, 07:05 PM
This thread is going to make me try to move mine. Haven't done it in about a year.

dsimon
03-02-2019, 07:42 PM
If it makes you feel any better it’s been about 5 years for me

R3awak3n
03-02-2019, 08:31 PM
If it makes you feel any better it’s been about 5 years for me

the only reason that does not happen to a lot of people on PL is because most change their bikes every year :)

AngryScientist
03-02-2019, 09:24 PM
the best solution is about twice/year just pull the post and apply a light coat of grease.

if you mark the post to the insertion height, this takes literally under a minute to do, so it's not a big deal, just something to remember to do.

i've dealth with a stuck post on a frame i bought, and my situation resulted in a thomson post literally reduced to tiny pieces, so i feel your pain. once you deal with it once , its easy to understand why you never want it to happen again!

thegunner
03-02-2019, 09:35 PM
the best solution is about twice/year just buy a new bike

ftfy

unterhausen
03-02-2019, 10:56 PM
On carbon bikes, my LBS swears by pouring a coke in the seat tube. I have never tried it. It contains fairly dilute phosphoric acid

prototoast
03-02-2019, 11:06 PM

Get a carbon or titanium post. Aluminum on carbon can lead to galvanic corrosion, which causes them to stick. Carbon on carbon or titanium on carbon won't do that.

oldpotatoe
03-03-2019, 06:10 AM

Carbon paste, it's not just to prevent slipping but to prevent this sort of thing..take out regularly, clean and do again.

Peter P.
03-03-2019, 06:19 AM
In addition to all the useful tips offered, I'll add my own 2 cents on how to help prevent seatpost seizure.

Remove the seatpost and slip a #21 or #22 O-ring over the seatpost. Insert the post to height and slide the O-ring up. Slather a film of grease around the post just above the clamp, then slide the O-ring down against the clamp, and wipe off the excess grease.

This helps create a seal, preventing water and sweat infiltration down the seat tube.

This idea was not mine, but that of the framebuilder of my frame.

Hawker
03-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Great idea Peter P.!