PDA

View Full Version : What's the best mid-reach caliper brake out there now?

tv_vt
02-28-2019, 06:55 PM
With all the shift to discs, have there been any new midreach caliper brakes out in the market in the last few years? Just wondering what the gold standard is these days.

AngryScientist
02-28-2019, 07:01 PM
the TRPs are the best. i have used them all. Upgrade the pads to koolstop or your other favorite pad and you're golden.

NHAero
02-28-2019, 07:39 PM
Are TRP and Tektro different companies?

AngryScientist
02-28-2019, 07:40 PM
Are TRP and Tektro different companies?

i think they may be the same, but the TRP branded brakes are a world better than the Tektro ones.

bfd
02-28-2019, 07:45 PM
It is my understanding that Velo Orange makes a very good mid-reach (formerly standard reach) brakeset:

https://velo-orange.com/collections/brakes/products/grand-cru-long-reach-brakes

At $170, it should be pretty decent! Further, it comes in both silver and black!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2196/9775/products/brake_dropped_out_scaled.jpg?v=1512764796

Good Luck!

zzy
02-28-2019, 08:05 PM
+1 on the VOs

NYCfixie
02-28-2019, 08:12 PM
+1 on the TRPs based on personal experience.

I know Seven has suggested the VO the past several years but I has a conversation with the man himself (Rob V.) when I ordered my Seven Axiom SL mid-reach and shared why I wanted the TRPs. He checked them out and suggested they are so much nicer than the less expensive Tektro's.

Not sure what Seven currently suggests but I know Ride Studio Cafe/HQ offers both as options (TRP and VO) and without concern.

AngryScientist
02-28-2019, 08:16 PM
i have both in regular use. it's my opinion based on direct experience that the TRPs are better, although by a small margin. the pads do make a big difference.

Pegoready
02-28-2019, 08:28 PM
Can I suggest Paul M-Racer, centermount version? The setup is more complicated because you need cable stops for the straddle wire but they provide more tire clearance and work really well.

Davist
02-28-2019, 08:44 PM
i think they may be the same, but the TRP branded brakes are a world better than the Tektro ones.

TRP = Tektro Racing Products, the "higher" line.. same company. Like Ultegra to Dura Ace or something.

skouri1
02-28-2019, 08:48 PM
I too expected the Velo Orange or the Shimano's to be better than the TRPs.
Honestly, I do believe in lever pull.
The TRPs + SRAM levers are the most powerful/nicest modulating in my experience.
Oddly enough, Shimanos Br-650 + SRAM Levers /Velo Orange with Shimano 7900 both required more force to stop, didnt modulate as well. I think. I'll probably experiment a little more with the Shimanos, because I want to love them. Nicest construction (fully forged). TRPs have more clearance though and are working better with SRAM, same exact pads/ rims.

choke
02-28-2019, 10:53 PM
Can I suggest Paul M-Racer, centermount version? The setup is more complicated because you need cable stops for the straddle wire but they provide more tire clearance and work really well.+1. Racer Ms are awesome and have way.better modulation than any dual-pivot that I've ever used.

Andy340
02-28-2019, 11:01 PM
I have VO with Yokozuna Reaction cables - this is a good combo for my braking needs (pads are rim specific so non VO).

Only issue I have found is with clearance for PDW all metal fenders (45mm) - area under brake arms needs to be crimped. Do TRP 957 have better clearance for fenders as the arms look sleeker (forged and not CNCed like VOs)?

54ny77
03-01-2019, 12:39 AM
They are really swank. Just get good pads, as the VO material is (or at least was) total junk. I'm running Kool Stop salmon pads currently, used to have Dura Ace black on there prior. They stop on a dime, no squeal, and as far as braking power....these brakes have scrubbed plenty of high speed in a blink, and in varying weather conditions. Just as effective as any of my Sram or Shimano setups.

It is my understanding that Velo Orange makes a very good mid-reach (formerly standard reach) brakeset:

https://velo-orange.com/collections/brakes/products/grand-cru-long-reach-brakes

At $170, it should be pretty decent! Further, it comes in both silver and black!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2196/9775/products/brake_dropped_out_scaled.jpg?v=1512764796

Good Luck!

Clean39T
03-01-2019, 02:14 AM
+1. Racer Ms are awesome and have way.better modulation than any dual-pivot that I've ever used.

Aren't the Racer M longer reach than the TRPs though?

choke
03-01-2019, 03:21 AM
Aren't the Racer M longer reach than the TRPs though?
The Racer M has the typical 47-57mm reach.

The Racer is their long reach model.

Pegoready
03-01-2019, 08:46 AM
The Racer M has the typical 47-57mm reach.

The Racer is their long reach model.

Exactly. The M Racer centermount version will plug and play in any frame designed for a 47-57 mm reach brake like the TRP, provided you install canti style hanger stops front and rear.

loxx0050
03-01-2019, 08:50 AM
A previous bike I had required a mid-reach calipers (older Trek Pilot 5.9 that was all carbon) and I got Ultegra 6700 calipers to work on it using the BDop offset holders.

https://www.bdopcycling.com/Brake%20Pad%20Holders/Offset%20Holders/BDop%20Offset%20Holders.jpg

Maybe see if that will work and then you can go whatever short reach caliper you want. Don't know if these will take up enough slack to work for a bike that requires long reach brakes...but it might.

Edit: Wow...those went up in price...I remember paying $30 or so for a full bike's worth (2 sets to cover front & rear calipers).

Pegoready
03-01-2019, 09:12 AM
A previous bike I had required a mid-reach calipers (older Trek Pilot 5.9 that was all carbon) and I got Ultegra 6700 calipers to work on it using the BDop offset holders.

https://www.bdopcycling.com/Brake%20Pad%20Holders/Offset%20Holders/BDop%20Offset%20Holders.jpg

Maybe see if that will work and then you can go whatever short reach caliper you want. Don't know if these will take up enough slack to work for a bike that requires long reach brakes...but it might.

Edit: Wow...those went up in price...I remember paying $30 or so for a full bike's worth (2 sets to cover front & rear calipers).

WOW, this is a really cool product! It's a nice option for those who want to use groupo matching brakes. They claim it adds 7 mm of brake drop.

I am also really surprised they cost $60/bikesworth considering they are made in Taiwan but it's cheaper than buying new brakes if you already have some.

I'm surprised none of the niche component makers do something similar. Seems very Surly or Paul to me.

AngryScientist
03-01-2019, 09:18 AM
WOW, this is a really cool product! It's a nice option for those who want to use groupo matching brakes. They claim it adds 7 mm of brake drop.

I am also really surprised they cost $60/bikesworth considering they are made in Taiwan but it's cheaper than buying new brakes if you already have some.

I'm surprised none of the niche component makers do something similar. Seems very Surly or Paul to me.

i just checked the "Problem Solvers" website. no luck. you would think these would be right up their alley.

Mzilliox
03-01-2019, 09:33 AM
Folks like Both VO and TRP. I have most experience with TRP and some with shimanos. TRP are very good. I have them on gravel bikes and have never failed to stop. they are better than the shimanos i have.

El Chaba
03-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Mafacs w/ updated Koolstop pads.

stien
03-01-2019, 10:30 AM
I haven’t confirmed this because my frame would limit me but I’ve read and can visaualize how the b-dop holders could contact fatter tires in use.

I’m running them with red hydro rim brakes and have clearance for days. I just bought some TRPs use with di2.

icepick_trotsky
03-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Mafacs w/ updated Koolstop pads.

This guy gets it. I'll add Dia Compe 610s to the mix, too.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2196/9775/products/gran_compe_centerpull_1.jpg?v=1504204993

NYCfixie
03-01-2019, 03:36 PM
I was told by several people (a few I even trust) that these can be dangerous because it puts the pad below the arm and results in less force and it might lead to other issues which could cause brakes to fail. Maybe true, maybe not, but with a few good mid-reach brake options available, I went with TRPs which work really well.

NYCfixie
03-01-2019, 03:38 PM
Anybody have experience with these mid-reach?

Cane Creek SCR-3L (I think the L stands for Long)
https://www.universalcycles.com/images//products/large/11678.jpg

NYCfixie
03-12-2019, 09:10 AM
Anybody know about these ones from Cane Creek?

Luwabra
03-12-2019, 09:18 AM
im using the BR-R600 w kool stop salmons and if you can get better than that i'd be seriously impressed. im not doubting it just looking fwd to trying the trp's if thats the case.

adrien
03-12-2019, 09:21 AM
I've used both TRP and Velo Orange.

The TRPs are fine except if you're using carbon rims. Carbon rims seem to rely more on the stiffness of the brake mechanism more than alloy wheels, and so the the clamping force matters.

The VOs are much, much stiffer and transfer a lot more force to the rims.

Blue Jays
03-12-2019, 09:52 AM
"...Can I suggest Paul M-Racer, centermount version? The setup is more complicated because you need cable stops for the straddle wire but they provide more tire clearance and work really well..."

"...+1. Racer Ms are awesome and have way better modulation than any dual-pivot that I've ever used..."

The braze-on Paul Racer-M brakes (on my otherwise Campagnolo-equipped bicycles) are superb.
I absolutely love the feel through the lever. Confident and reliable. Truly excellent brakes.

classtimesailer
03-12-2019, 10:05 AM
SHIMANO BR-650 are fine brakes. They go with the other Ultegra bits. Got em on my fat tire road bike operated with Cane Creek levers.

happycampyer
03-12-2019, 05:36 PM
im using the BR-R600 w kool stop salmons and if you can get better than that i'd be seriously impressed. im not doubting it just looking fwd to trying the trp's if thats the case.I just set up a bike with these with their standard pads (and Campy levers, Hed Ardennes wheels) and they are very solid. I haven’t ridden the TRPs in a while so I can’t make a direct comparison, but just based on my general recollection, I don’t think the TRPs are any better than the BR-600s. I’ve got both bikes set up so at some point I’ll do an A/B comparison.

Both calipers are very good, and work as well as short reach calipers imo. The other thing I’ll check for is clearance, in particular with the release open. One nuisance I find is that with larger tires, I need to deflate/reinflate the tire when removing/replacing the wheel.

rccardr
03-12-2019, 07:08 PM
The other thing I’ll check for is clearance, in particular with the release open. One nuisance I find is that with larger tires, I need to deflate/reinflate the tire when removing/replacing the wheel.

...which wouldn't be an issue with Tektro 539's because they have a 'double' style release. Additionally, when paired with the matching Tektro lever (I prefer the 200 series, but that's just me), there's yet another release at the lever body, resulting in a huge yawning chasm of tire clearance. As it were.

I've tried a bunch of mid reach caliper/lever combinations (yes, including those Mafacs) and keep coming back to 539's. Have them on both the Cannondale ST and the Davidson, both of which modulate nicely and have as much stopping power as a rational human could desire. But I will admit that the TRP's and Shimanos are aesthetically more attractive and have a superior finish.

Yeah, on some sets the pads are completely worthless yet on others the pads are awesome, but replacements are inexpensive and easy to come by.

Meanwhile, am I the only one to observe that both the VO and Cane Creek brakesets are made by...Tektro?

ColnagoC59
03-12-2019, 07:10 PM
sorry but based on the question it seems you're not really thinking about disc. given you want wider wheels why not look at a cantilever set-up?

benjamine74
03-13-2019, 03:13 AM
I’m Campagnolo for life, record and chorus on my bikes, but another vote for Shimano br650, on an otherwise Campy bike.
Best brakes I’ve ever used. Between cable releases on calipers and levers I can remove a 32mm gatorskin on neutrons without deflation

nachetetm
03-13-2019, 09:23 AM
I’m Campagnolo for life, record and chorus on my bikes, but another vote for Shimano br650, on an otherwise Campy bike.

Best brakes I’ve ever used. Between cable releases on calipers and levers I can remove a 32mm gatorskin on neutrons without deflationSame here. I have that combination and works pretty well, even better after changing the pads to Swiss stop bxp, but I can't compare to other mid reach calipers. I would like to try the TRP with Campy levers though, in case I'm missing a better combination.

Luwabra
03-13-2019, 09:37 AM
I just set up a bike with these with their standard pads (and Campy levers, Hed Ardennes wheels) and they are very solid. I haven’t ridden the TRPs in a while so I can’t make a direct comparison, but just based on my general recollection, I don’t think the TRPs are any better than the BR-600s. I’ve got both bikes set up so at some point I’ll do an A/B comparison.

Both calipers are very good, and work as well as short reach calipers imo. The other thing I’ll check for is clearance, in particular with the release open. One nuisance I find is that with larger tires, I need to deflate/reinflate the tire when removing/replacing the wheel.

yes the deflate/inflate is a pita but if i can run a 35mm-37mm compass tire im happy to deflate to remove. the br-r600 will have the most tire clearance. you will still have to deflate bonjons on belgium+ i can tell you that firsthand.
very interested in your side by side performance tests... br-r600 vs trp's

AngryScientist
03-13-2019, 09:38 AM
this is where campy levers come in. having an adjustment at both the lever and the caliper is usually enough clearance to get most any tire in and out.

rpm
03-13-2019, 06:48 PM
I have a bike from 2006 that uses mid-reach Shimano brakes. Last year I replaced the old 9-speed external cable Ultgra drivetrain with new a new Tiagra 10 speed drivetrain with the cables under the bar tape.

The brakes don't work so well with the new levers.

Which current brakes would better? VO, TRP, or is there a new Shimano mid-reach?

NYCfixie
03-13-2019, 07:06 PM
I have a bike from 2006 that uses mid-reach Shimano brakes. Last year I replaced the old 9-speed external cable Ultgra drivetrain with new a new Tiagra 10 speed drivetrain with the cables under the bar tape.

The brakes don't work so well with the new levers.

Which current brakes would better? VO, TRP, or is there a new Shimano mid-reach?

The issue is that Shimano brake cable pull ratio changed from the 9 speed era (SLR) to the 10speed era (Super SLR) which is why you are experiencing poor performance. Use the VO or TRP and you will be fine. Older Shimano R-600 and R-650 mid-reach brakes should be used with pre-10 speed Shimano (or any SRAM or Campy setups).

rpm
03-13-2019, 09:01 PM
Thanks!

skouri1
04-13-2022, 07:23 PM
Bumping this up because I have lived with a drawback of midreach brakes. TK built me a spectrum with excellent clearance. I can get 32mm tires and 45mm fenders under mid reach brakes with no contact. However, when I want to pull a wheel out (that hasn't already flatted :) ), I cant get it past the caliper at all. like at all.
I am running alpha 400 rims which are 17mm internal, but only like 21 outside width. i guess the tire lightbulbs quite a bit and sticks out like 5-6mm on either side of rim (hence difficulty getting them out).

Do you think if I went to wider modern rim with like 25mm external width, it would change the tire profile and allow me to get them in and out better with the quick release on my TRP rg960s? Or do I need to switch to campy to get the lever quick release as well? It's not a problem I deal with frequently, but its still a bit silly. Curious if anyone has a good solution to this.

El Chaba
04-13-2022, 07:36 PM
Mafac….

skouri1
04-13-2022, 07:44 PM
Thats not going to work for me. Frame is set up for side pulls .
I could get one of these shimano brake quick releases inline with housing ...theyre a little clunky looking though.

prototoast
04-13-2022, 07:53 PM
Do you think if I went to wider modern rim with like 25mm external width, it would change the tire profile and allow me to get them in and out better with the quick release on my TRP rg960s? Or do I need to switch to campy to get the lever quick release as well? It's not a problem I deal with frequently, but its still a bit silly. Curious if anyone has a good solution to this.

Yeah, go with the widest rim you can find, and try to get a nice smooth transition from the wheel to the tire. If you want to ride carbon rims, you can find some that are ~30mm externally, and will be super smooth with a 32-35 tire. With alloy rim brake, they tend to top out around 25 with something like the HED Belgium+. That would be a big improvement, and would probably be enough to get the wheel out with 32s.

skouri1
04-13-2022, 08:02 PM
Cool, thanks ! i should borrow a friends carbon set for fun this summer. see how they feel. then think about what i actually want to buy. Im a reliable type person, so I may settle on some HEDs ultimately...

rccardr
04-13-2022, 08:49 PM
Or just remove a brake shoe/pad to take out or replace a wheel.
That’s what us old guys who ride old frames with fat tires do.
Only takes a minute, and hey, how often do you have to pull a wheel these days?

David Kirk
04-13-2022, 11:32 PM
Bumping this up because I have lived with a drawback of midreach brakes. TK built me a spectrum with excellent clearance. I can get 32mm tires and 45mm fenders under mid reach brakes with no contact. However, when I want to pull a wheel out (that hasn't already flatted :) ), I cant get it past the caliper at all. like at all.
I am running alpha 400 rims which are 17mm internal, but only like 21 outside width. i guess the tire lightbulbs quite a bit and sticks out like 5-6mm on either side of rim (hence difficulty getting them out).

As others have said going with a modern wide rim will help this a good bit....and they ride better - full stop.

Once you have the wide rims in place there is a bit of a easy hack you can do to make getting them in/out smoother. Before you set up the brake screw the barrel adjuster about 1/2 way up. Then install and adjust the brake as per normal. Then when you want to get the tire in/out you should open the brake QR lever and screw the barrel adjuster all the way down. In most cases these two things together will allow the big tire to pass.

Then you put it back in...spin the barrel up and close the lever and have fun on your ride.

dave

choke
04-14-2022, 12:24 AM
Thats not going to work for me. Frame is set up for side pulls .That doesn't mean that you can't install centerpulls.....all that you need is to add hangers at both ends and that's pretty simple. For example, Paul makes Funky Monkeys for both the front and rear - https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/components/mounting-solutions/cable-hangers-mounting-solutions/funky-monkey-cable-hanger/

With my Racer Ms, I can easily undo the straddle cable and the brakes open up far enough to remove an inflated 32mm tire.

skouri1
04-14-2022, 04:49 AM
Thanks for recs everyone.
I was aware of the cable barrel, but I honestly forgot to do it as I set up my brakes initially.
The main takeaway, I think, is to treat myself to a more modern rim brake wheelset.
I have had my current set for years (white industries /alpha 400). I have not needed to really touch them after redishing them from campy to shimano. Or before. Not broke dont fix it, I thought.
But maybe they should go live on my CX bike for a while.. :)

skouri1
04-14-2022, 04:53 AM
Also, I dont mean to dismiss center pulls. I'm just ttalking about a custom bike here, and I dont like the aesthetics of the funky monkey add ons. If it were integrated and had been designed for Paul's, no prob.
Plus I cant afford another spacer beyond 5mm up front so.
I think the Racer Ms are quite cool though, I just have a decidedly mid-reach set up bike.