PDA

View Full Version : Chris Hoy on Kristina Vogel

FlashUNC
02-28-2019, 04:42 PM
Sir Chris recently visited with Kristina in Germany where she's in physical therapy and rehab from the accident that permanently paralyzed her.

Probably the most detail I've seen about the accident itself and the aftermath, and her current day-to-day and pretty powerful stuff from Hoy on seeing it all firsthand.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/47336544

[Max Levy] looked over and saw it was Kristina and she was just lying there. She had collided with a Dutch cyclist at close to 40mph.

He ran across. Normally within a few seconds you're up and checking your scars, seeing if you've broken a collarbone or a wrist. But she wasn't and he knew something was up.

He was then the one sitting there holding her hand while she recognised immediately that she was paralysed. She knew she couldn't feel her legs and she said to Max: "This is it. I am not going to be able to walk again."

Kristina told me that Max being there to hold her hand was the thing that calmed her. As long as he was there to hold her hand, she wasn't alone and that was the most important thing at that moment.

She described it to me as pressure building - it was just intense pain. To know straight away that she wasn't going to walk again must have been utterly terrifying.

For Max to be the person witnessing that first hand must have been life-changing and incredibly tough for him to deal with.

woodworker
02-28-2019, 06:10 PM
Thanks for posting that. I've been following her since the accident. Great rider, better person, and terrifying accident.

I wish her well. It's a bit different hearing from Hoy, given his time on the track. Adds a different dimension.

XXtwindad
02-28-2019, 08:16 PM
Some people are made of very strong stuff...

galgal
02-28-2019, 09:26 PM
She's a champion, that's for sure. Thanks for sharing.

nooneline
03-01-2019, 08:39 AM
For Max to be the person witnessing that first hand must have been life-changing and incredibly tough for him to deal with.

Around the same time as Vogel's crash, I was in a bad track crash, too. One of the other people involved was knocked unconscious, and stayed unconscious for enough days that we weren't sure if he'd wake up. Anyway... I think I can say that Hoy's assessment of Levy's experience is pretty right-on.