PDA

View Full Version : 'Cross tubies bigger than UCI?

Lewis Moon
02-28-2019, 03:03 PM
I'm getting a set of tubular wheels as a part of the deal on a Ridley X-Fire. It's coming with a set of run of the mill Tufos on it in 32c. I figure this is a question of economics but...since I'll probably never run a UCI race, does anyone make 'cross tubies in larger than 33c?

....yes, I know I can run tubeless...

hmai18
02-28-2019, 03:22 PM
I just did a quick search:

Dugast Typhoon, Pipistrello, and Pipisquallo come in 38. Small Bird goes up to 36.

You can order special sizes from FMB and they have a "gravel" tire in 40.

If you have the clearance, you can try running a 29er MTB tubular?

HTupolev
02-28-2019, 03:23 PM
A few FMB tires are listed as 34s, but I don't think anything exists in production that's much over 33. Tubulars make a lot of sense for CX, but people largely don't use them unless they're racing the sport pretty seriously. And for folks who aren't just casually dabbling in CX, it's somewhat expected that you won't use huge tires even when you're technically allowed to.

edit: Looks like hmai is right, some Dugast tires are available in 38.

Gummee
02-28-2019, 03:24 PM
A few FMB tires are listed as 34s, but I don't think anything exists in production that's much over 33. Tubulars make a lot of sense for CX, but people largely don't use them unless they're racing the sport pretty seriously. And for folks who aren't just casually dabbling in CX, it's somewhat expected that you won't use huge tires even when you're technically allowed to.

Tubulars make for some great gravel rides. My LASes see duty all summer...

Then I switch to Challenge Team issue tubulars for 'real' CX

M

hollowgram5
02-28-2019, 05:21 PM
Challenge makes some that are more gravel specific.. they do a 36 Strada Bianca I've been heavily considering, but it's definitely a smooth tread tire.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk